Yveltal-EX, Darkrai-EX, Garbodor LTR // NXD-on

Seeing as @HighShroomish doesn’t want the other Yveltal Darkrai thread to include Garbodor, I decided to make one, If anyone found a thread for this already, please let me know. Anyway this list is a skeleton of a basic Yveltal Darkrai, by @baby_mario

3 Yveltal EX
2-2 Garbodor
1 Darkrai
1 Sableye
1 Absol
1 Druddigon
= 11

4 Juniper
4 N
1 Lysandre
3 Receiver
2 Bike

4 Ultra Ball
4 Dark Patch
4 Laser
3 Float Stone
3 Muscle Band
1 Prof’s Letter
1 Computer Search
3 Virbank
= 37

4 DCE
8 Dark
=12

The basic strategy of the deck is to set up garbodor on the bench with float stone to stop abilities, and attack with evil ball. I personally like to go second with this deck, because if you get turn one oblivion wing it really helps your set up. I chose only one Sableye because i was tight on space and probably won’t be Junk hunting too much. (and I’m tight on space.) Keldeo is there because you can still Rush in and retreat with a flat stone.
Remember this is just a sample list and you can do what you want with it.
Discuss anything Yveltal Garbodor here,including Darkrai. I didn’t use it because I was tight on space and didn’t see the value of it in this kind of deck.

This is what I run, and I can tell you that your list looks like it’ll flop. It has only eight draw supporter outs.
Generally speaking, this doesn’t run Energy Switch, since the use of Float Stone means there isn’t really a need, and this list has too little variety.
My own list has 4 Juniper, 4 N, 2 Shauna, 2 RR, and 2 Bike. I might change this around though, since I may be taking out Catcher for Lysandre.

ok, well I did just turn from straight Yveltal Darkrai to this, a week ago because of flash fire. Its still a work in progress.

Yeah I’d drop at least 1 or 2 energy switch. Test it out and see what works. I agree with blargh257 that you need more supporters/supporter outs. Also, no darkrai EX? I think that it doesn’t hurt to have one in there.

since this is really for deck discussion not just me (although I appreciate the help) if anyone has a list they would prefer to give me to put as a sample list then I gladly will.

I’d suggest getting rid of that keldeo ex, sure it’s useful but it’s vulnerable to any form of catcher. And yeah they are right, energy switch aren’t very useful anymore in decks like these with the meta changing. Here’s the thing, I would suggest not using that trubbish, the one from LTR is much better. I mean I realize you would rarely use it as an attacker but having an option to attack is nice.

And yes what they are saying is right, a lack of supporters is pretty important you could run 1 energy switch, beyond that it’s just taking up space. Honestly, I would just look at other decks, don’t copy them but try to figure out what makes them tick. Why they are consistent. believe me I’ve overdone it with items and it’s not worth it.

Like I said, this is my first take on the deck, Before working on mine does anyone have a sample list to share that I can put in the first post as a sample? Like I said, this is the competitive forum for Yveltal Garbodor, not just deck help. I appreciate the help but before working on specific lists, I wanted a skeleton for people to look in to see if they like the idea, I understand mine is not near perfect and I’m all ready editing accordingly but for now seeing as you mostly don’t like my list does anyone have a list to share?

There’s no separate forum for Competitive and Deck help on these new fourms.

All that matters is keeping the relevant discussion in a single thread.

I know, what I was saying was that because people don’t seem to like my list (for good reason as i said i just started playing Yveltal Garbodor.) I’m asking for a skeleton anyone wants to share so someone new to the game can see a good list to build off of. (people visiting or just joining SP.

3 Yveltal EX
2-2 Garbodor
1 Darkrai
1 Sableye
1 Absol
1 Druddigon
= 11

4 Juniper
4 N
1 Lysandre
3 Receiver
2 Bike

4 Ultra Ball
4 Dark Patch
4 Laser
3 Float Stone
3 Muscle Band
1 Prof’s Letter
1 Computer Search
3 Virbank
= 37

4 DCE
8 Dark
=12

Is that ok?

The deck seems fine, it will probably need some Minor Tweaking. I would really consider dropping a Double Colorless energy for Another Sableye , drop 1 Receiver for another Bicycle, drop a muscle band for a switch or something else along those lines.

I really would suggest a dowsing machine over Computer Search with this type of deck considering the Meta. Mainly because, what do you plan on doing, once Sableye is gone he’s gone, and thus ends your way of retrieving useful tools. My first suggestion was if you decided to run computer search. Completely Omit that if you decide to go with a dowsing machine instead, I highly Recommend it with Deck’s like these that could drop like a fly without a way to get a useful Trainer to disrupt the opponent or pull out a card that could make or break the game near the end.

Beyond that, it’s just hard to say, I just see the lack of bicycles and it definitely piers out as a huge issue. Just by looking at your deck I would assume your going for speed, so you would more than likely want 4 bicycles. Another Non-EX Basic attacker would be quite useful as well.

Most of this information is relevant, just test it online first, I’m not a human I make errors. I also don’t run Computer Search, In my opinion, it doesn’t run well with the New Yveltal-EX Garbodor Meta Decks.

One last thought you may want to consider another Supporter, 8 is pretty low, I’ve been running 10 and that’s really pushing the envelope. You really need at-least 2 more supporter.

I realize this may not be that useful to you, I suppose it depends, just try a few suggestions I proposed. I know they will improve your deck, I can’t guarantee perfect consistency, you need to run through that with testing, your strategy, I would look into equivalent fractions in the case that you haven’t used them in awhile.

Not all decks need to be 100% consistent, but it doesn’t hurt, it just depends on how you want your deck to perform.

There is always something to be sacrificed, that would include consistency versus speed.

I dislike more than one Sableye now, as it is such a cheap KO for Virizion/Muscle Band. Handing them a Prize and Energy accel for the turn just seems like a bad idea. Junk Hunting mid-game is a desparation move these days (unless you are focused on Laser-stall and/or Hammer-stall).

I don’t have any big argument against changing the CPU Search for a Dowsing Machine, but I do like having another straightforward way to get Garbodor functioning early.

I would kind of like another Supporter, but I’m maxed out on Juniper and N, and the others Supporters are all a bit meh. Colress is bad early game, Shauna is mediocre, and the others are worse. I’d play a 4th RR before I ran any of them.

Yes, I like utilizing Laser, Virbank, Generally 1 enhanced hammer, the dowsing machine is my garbage disposal to get back important supporters like Lysandre if I get an awful hand and need to Deck thin. This is generally only used at the start as a last resort, generally I don’t end up in an awkward imposition but a bad hand is always a possibility.

I’ll throw something up as an example later on tomorrow, like I said I deck thin out cards I have no use for in the beginning and use Dowsing machine mid to late game to pull out a Lysandre. That is usually the top priority but it really just depends. My deck is based around speed and discarding there for I can get to garbodor quicker, energies and unnecessary card’s such as a third Yveltal Ex I usually just toss out.

I watch their moves they make, and pretty much N as needed if I see them deck thinning, I’ll simply throw their deck off balance with it based upon the ammount of card’s in their hand.

Sorry this is more of a Strategy but I’ll get into more detail tomorrow it’s late, I’ll post up a skeleton build as well.

The down-side is you need to be extremely careful with ultra-balls and Juniper, but it fine for me. I don’t always have a perfect match-up, but I bench Sableye as needed he’s more of just a means of getting back lasers or any other tool I may need. It really just depends on First or Second Turn, sable-eye is generally used cautiously, It doesn’t hurt to have 2 just encase 1 in benched and is knocked out. But I try to generally set him up once garbodor is setup which is usually my my Second Turn. If you want to talk about this in more detail you can Just PM me, I don’t see 1 sableye dying as a huge deal as long as you are at a strong advantage and have ripped the cards you needed from your discard pile. He’s has low hp, it’s just inevitable.

The whole concept is Speed damage with basic Pokemon, making deceptive moves, Laser Techs with Garbodor, thinning to bring back consistency to your deck, High Priority to Dark Patch and Getting Garbodor into play when your opponent is constricted. From there on out there’s really nothing more to it. The Dowsing machine is there as a safety net or as means to quickly pull out abrupt techs such as lysandre or a needed item or tool card if used mid to end game.

I run a Darkrai/Yvetal EX deck:

1. I slipped in a Pal Pad (item!) which lets me recycle the supporters I need since I can only really squeeze in 8 card draws.
  2. I also prefer 2 sableye in my decks with many items (only 1 of each though) and then I can pull back Pal Pad as well.
  3. I’ve never been a fan of Garbador which defeats the purpose of having Darkrai (I play 2 of them, I also play 1 Virizion EX instead of Keldeo to help fight locks) and instead of the bouffalant etc techs, I am getting ready to put in a 2-2 line of Pyroar to cause opponent headaches (I use a blend for the fire energy, so having other dark energy on him allows for free retreats and no float stone needed, I will see this week how it runs during testing)

Is there any specific reason for the 3rd virbank? I understand it can win stadium wars but you could make stick a energy switch or something in there for it.

I believe the third Virbank is needed now. Too many decks running too many counter Stadiums.

@baby_mario probably a stupid question but which Darkrai is that out of curiosity? Is it the full art promo or the ex? I was just curious of something had changed and the EX isn’t as good for this deck?

I’ve been out of the loop for a while and haven’t updated my darkrai deck since virbank became a thing so I was curious .

I so apologize for semi- hijacking the thread. Not my intention, just genuinely curious.

It’s regular Darkrai EX. The original DEX version for preference, but LTR is also acceptable. The tin one looks a bit naff.

I actually really like the promo Plasma Darkrai. I have ideas for it, but somehow never get around to doing anything about them.

That’s what i figured. I just wanted to double check. Thank you.

Eh you could either run 3 virbank or just run 2 shadow circle instead. Imo they just put you at a huge disposition with the way things are going lately.