Xabalanque's 2016-2017 Season 521 (or 531)/500 CP

I never really did a season report last year when I was a bit more active here last year, but I thought I’d do a brief overcap of my season for if I ever get more time.

2 League Challenges in the Fall:
(1st with Night March)
(1st with Night March)

Fall Cups:
55 Points with Vespiquen at Statesville, NC League Cup
45 Points with Vespiquen at Wilmington, NC League Cup

Winter Cups:
55 Points with Gyarados at Durham, NC League Cup
55 Points with Decidueye Vileplume at Hickory, NC League Cup

Spring Cups:
35 Points with Greninja at Durham, NC League Cup

Regionals:
Top 64 with Vespiquen at Orlando Regionals
Top 128 with Carbink-Zygarde at Philadelphia Regionals
Top 4 with Vespiquen at Athens Regionals
??? RIP At VA Regionals
Top 128 At Wisconsin Regionals

US Internat:
???

Its been an interesting season for sure. I felt I was fairly unlucky with some draws at Orlando and that I could have top 32d at Orlando, that started getting me thinking I would have a fairly unlucky/mediocre season. Last year was my first year playing semi-competitively and I managed to get a worlds invite. This year’s structure was and is daunting, but I have decided to try and take it on as tactically as I could with my semi-limited amount of opportunities at regionals.

My following regional, Philadelphia I was also dissapointed with my result. I went up to Phily with NC friends and our car group ended up making carbink-zygarde together and 2 of us ended up playing the deck. Unfortunately I decided on the deck last second. Like in the last 5 minutes before someone collected up a decklist. So I was scrambling to see if I had the pieces to make the deck based off of my friends and what I brought. In my rush I wrote 5 N on my decklist (or something on that nature, I believe it was 5 N). My deck was 60 cards and the error was caught pretty early (after winning R1), but my sloppiness and last second decision making got me a game loss in R2. My R2 opponent managed to take as long as he could to die and my R2 ended in a tie. I faced a trevenant deck which I also tied and an yveltal player where I got ghetsised to 0 for a loss. In round 8 despite some bad luck, I was pitted against a Seismitoad-Giratina deck (which also had a 2-2 garb line) and I thought - ok I got this. Turns out while I thought I was going to win the game thanks to an expected normal amount of time per round, we had extra time in that round. Thanks to a combination of my opponent hitting every heads that game and the extra 8 or so minutes added in the round (which no one at the regional was aware was being added, or at the very least how much extra time the entire round was going to end up being), he was able to pick up a long game 2 win. If we didn’t have those extra 8 minutes my last round match would have been a win and in. I have no one to really blame but myself though for being so indecisive and not choosing the deck earlier. (My alternative deck would have been a maxies volcanion monstrosity I and some other NC people were working on).

Athens regionals seemed like it would be heading on a similar bad luck track. I started the day against a friend, Alex Smetana. I lost a quick game 1 due to item lock (he was playing plumebox and I was playing vespi). Game 2 I took a ko with mew-ex and I thought I was set to sweep the game from there, but - he lysandred an already sky returned vespiquen and then knocked it out. All of my other vespiquens were prized and with item lock up I had no way to get an alternative attacker out. I flipped over my prizes and wished Alex the best of luck! I then proceeded to run into 2 decks using Giratina Ex. Somehow I managed to beat both of them by sticking DCE on my mew-ex and using lysandres appropriately. The tourney finally began to look more up after that bad start as I ran into things like mega mewtwo, glaceon-jolteon-garb (a deck which I had tested significantly against thanks to my friend who ended up bubbling top 8 with the deck), ninja, mega gardy, and even a vespiquen mirror. I managed to win my win and in at the end of the day and I then started off day 2 well again by hitting Mega Mewtwo, Ninja, Turbo Dark, etc. and getting all the way to a Top 4 run again! But like my Top 4 last year as well I managed to dead draw into oblivion. Last year I didn’t attack once in top 4, this year I only attacked once at the end of game 2 with I think a sky return. 3rd time’s the charm hopefully!

I have a path to worlds still thanks to these decent regionals performances, I just have to perform well enough at the 2 regionals I plan to go alongside the international and I have a decent chance to get another day 1 invite! I plan on using a fairly risky deck for VA, so we’ll see if it pays off, but its a deck that I personally enjoy playing. Thanks to my GA performance I have also been convinced to book a flight to Madison for another option of trying to earn some points

I played Gyarados at VA! Super risky… and it didn’t pay off. I went 5-3-1 on the day. I started the day playing Decidueye and then won my next 5 by playing meta decks that weren’t decidueye. I then got pretty unlucky vs a mega ray in round 7. I rotom dex’d to get my karps out of the prizes, but I shuffled in 3 dce into the deck throwing me a few turns behind making it a close game. I went down to 5 cards in deck and needed 2 specific cards out of an abyssal hand for 3 to win the game. I missed the card combo I needed and the series ended up as a tie as a result. That tie then unfortunately made me eligible to hit decidueyes and day 2 disappeared as a result (I was pretty confident that if I had won that match I would have been able to day 2). Oh well! I finished outside of top 128 on the day - at the very least my friend also played Gyarados and ended up making day 2!

Either way - I am now at 450 or 460 CP thanks to the points bump! One of my league cups has an error and is not properly updated. So while I should be at 460 cp, I am not confident things will be changed in part because of the disorganization this season. I could have got my invite at VA if round 7 had turned out differently, but I digress - I still have plenty of opportunities this quarter and believe I’ll get my invite thanks to the bump!

Update: June 10th:
I went to 2 cups on a weekend - I played gyarados on Seattle weekend, the weekend before tapu koko promo would be legal thinking this would be my last chance to play the deck possibly. I proceeded to hit spinda round 1, spinda round 2, decidueye plume round 3, m-alakazam espeon-gx r4, and umbreon gx r5. I ended up somehow bubbling that cup on opponent’s opponents resistance. Well rip gyarados gods. Went to another cup that following day - where I played greninja. I played volc, metagross, and ninetales at that cup - and made the smaller t4 cut that day. Unfortunately a family emergency made me scoop so I only ended up with +35 cp.

I wasn’t sure if I should go to Madison or not (I paid for the tickets a while back, but my family pushed me to go so I wouldn’t be in the hopsital this entire time). Not having really tested anything I went with vespiquen. I started the day 2-0, then things started with my usual downturn in hitting every bad mu possible. I hit Lesage r3 who played skillfully with oricorio, I got a little lucky and unlucky at the same time to not win game 1 which I think would have brought it to a tie, but I lost that. I then lost the next round vs Ninetales with oricorio on his final turn in turns in game 3 where he sycamored his hand away with 23 cards left in deck needing his last dce or his one float stone in order to retreat - which he hit.

I proceeded to play against another 2 decks running Karen (both of which I won - one of them being a Metagross-vulpix deck which was cool to play vs) - but then I got donked after a draw pass game 1 vs a garb-espeon and then donked again in game 3 to be eliminated from day 2 contention. I finished 5-3-1, same record as VA unfortunately - but this time I wasn’t just out of top 128 points so I got +36 here.

So + 71 points = My Invite! Eventually when I have time I need to start looking for booking!

Managed to replace/upgrade my 2nd place finish with M Gardy for this last quarter! I finally played the stupid decidueye-plume deck and I managed to win the cup [I would have played Gyarados again but there was just too much decidueye at this cup].

R1 Turbo Dark win
R2 M gardevoir STS win
R3 M Ray win
R4 ID vs M Ray

We were told it would be a 5 round league cup but the organizer was relatively new and couldn’t find a way to add the 5th round or a topcut. So I ended up oddly having the win for this cup after having the best resistance of the 3-0-1s. A bit strange, but a result nonetheless!

BA or DR they are extremely different

It was a STS/DR finish I replaced

Just a VA regionals update!

I played Gyarados at VA! Super risky… and it didn’t pay off. I went 5-3-1 on the day. I started the day playing Decidueye and then won my next 5 by playing meta decks that weren’t decidueye. I then got pretty unlucky vs a mega ray in round 7. I rotom dex’d to get my karps out of the prizes, but I shuffled in 3 dce into the deck throwing me a few turns behind making it a close game. I went down to 5 cards in deck and needed 2 specific cards out of an abyssal hand for 3 to win the game. I missed the card combo I needed and the series ended up as a tie as a result. That tie then unfortunately made me eligible to hit decidueyes and day 2 disappeared as a result (I was pretty confident that if I had won that match I would have been able to day 2). Oh well! I finished outside of top 128 on the day - at the very least my friend also played Gyarados and ended up making day 2!

Either way - I am now at 450 or 460 CP thanks to the points bump! One of my league cups has an error and is not properly updated. So while I should be at 460 cp, I am not confident things will be changed in part because of the disorganization this season. I could have got my invite at VA if round 7 had turned out differently, but I digress - I still have plenty of opportunities this quarter and believe I’ll get my invite thanks to the bump!

Don’t worry. You’re in a prime position and gyarados is sure to be better for upcoming guardians rising tournaments. Hope to see you in Anaheim as competitors!

It was mostly your confidence in Gyarados that inspired me to play it. It was so much fun, so thank you :slight_smile:

Update: June 10th:
I went to 2 cups on a weekend - I played gyarados on the Seattle weekend, the weekend before tapu koko promo would be legal thinking this would be my last chance to play the deck possibly. I proceeded to hit spinda round 1, spinda round 2, decidueye plume round 3, m-alakazam espeon-gx r4, and umbreon gx r5. I ended up somehow bubbling that cup on opponent’s opponents resistance. Well rip gyarados gods. Went to another cup that following day - where I played greninja. I played volc, metagross, and ninetales at that cup - and made the smaller t4 cut that day. Unfortunately a family emergency made me scoop so I only ended up with +35 cp.

I wasn’t sure if I should go to Madison or not (I paid for the tickets a while back, but my family pushed me to go so I wouldn’t be in the hopsital this entire time). Not having really tested anything I went with vespiquen. I started the day 2-0, then things started with my usual downturn in hitting every bad mu possible. I hit Lesage r3 who played skillfully with oricorio, I got a little lucky and unlucky at the same time to not win game 1 which I think would have brought it to a tie, but I lost that. I then lost the next round vs Ninetales with oricorio on his final turn in turns in game 3 where he sycamored his hand away with 23 cards left in deck needing his last dce or his one float stone in order to retreat - which he hit.

I proceeded to play against another 2 decks running Karen (both of which I won - one of them being a Metagross-vulpix deck which was cool to play vs) - but then I got donked after a draw pass game 1 vs a garb-espeon and then donked again in game 3 to be eliminated from day 2 contention. I finished 5-3-1, same record as VA unfortunately - but this time I wasn’t just out of top 128 points so I got +36 here.

So + 71 points = My Invite! Eventually when I have time I need to start looking for booking!

===
Updated with Madison