Wailord-EX Variants // BCR-On

I know…imagine baby Yveltal attaching dark energy to Yveltal-ex while they’re also attaching Dce’s it needs 4 Dce, 3 dark to lo, and you don’t have much draw support to draw into yo u r hammers

The deck is made so you just sit there and wait for your opponent to deck out. You do not even run energy. @jirachi123 lso you might want to run 2 Shauna. Not for the draw support but if someone sees what you’re doing and you’ve both been sitting there for a wile passing turns, you can Shauna everything back wile, unlike N, not shuffling the opponent’s hand.

1 Like

I am not at Nationals, so I haven’t seen any lists, but I would definitely run at least 1 Colress and some combination of Shauna/Prof Birch. I would think you need to protect against decking out yourself, so a Colress for 0 would be helpful in at least the mirror. I would think.

I just said Shauna because it is the guaranteed lowest amount of cards. Then reusing them with VS seeker makes makes them last for days. But I do see running 1 Colress to be an option.

1 Like

Enrique Avila’s Top-8 deck has been published:

Pokemon: 7
4 Wailord-EX
3 Suicune PLB

Trainer: 53 (28 + 19 + 6)
3 N
4 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Skyla
2 Hugh
4 Cassius
4 AZ
4 Team Flare Grunt
1 Xerosic
2 Lysandre
1 Shauna
1 Dowsing Machine
4 VS Seeker
3 Enhanced Hammer
4 Max Potion
4 Hard Charm
1 Trick Shovel
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Sacred Ash
4 Rough Seas
2 Silent Lab

3 Likes

My deck can OHKO everything but Wailord EX, they joked.

3 Likes

Too bad it’s not playable for Worlds.

1 Like

Exactly! My testing team is all hyping Virgen because it beats Wailord, but they’re gonna get steamrolled by any Raichu, Landobats, M Ray, and Night March. The only other matchup they have to be confident in besides Wailord-EX is Steel. IMO, if, getting closer to the event, Wailord is hyped, Flareon could be a strong safe play as long as you use Archie’s Empoleon and maybe a thicker energy line (Something like 3 Grass, 2 Water, 4 DCE?) Because it can trade with Raichu, if played right, can beat landobats, has no trouble like steel and mega Ray, and can apply a lot of pressure on Wailord-EX in general. The only thing I’m scared about is the fact that you really have to overextended resources to be ever taking OHKO’s on a wailord (I think you need 23 Pokemon in the discard to vengence OHKO, or 20 with Bangle, which makes you susceptible for a deck out.)It seems like a safe play though, and Wailord is one of those decks that is only ever actually good in the hands of someone who really knows what they’re doing. (Albeit all worlds competitors are quality players, aside from me, who somehow lucked out and got his invite with the 5 tournaments he went to year :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I digress.

TL;DR: I couldn’t agree more, long story followed by personal opinions, and why no one should consider me a serious contender at worlds :stuck_out_tongue:

With this deck running around, wouldn’t it be nice to have Unown Z back?

Easy to counter. Hugh, Ancient Bunnelby, and Trick Shovel kill the idea of Unown Z.

1 Like

Speaking of which, just use Ancient Bunnelby to constantly recycle cards. then the Wailord Player Loses.

2 Likes

The thing is Wailord will have to adapt. Any deck that has space will need to tech Bunnelby, so I can see the big whale attaching lasers to its’ back and trying to kill the bunnies. Virbank should replace the labs.

Why recycle when you can deck them out?

2 Likes

He’s got a point, Grover. If Bunnelby isn’t receiving any damage, it can just mill at a faster pace than Wailord can, meaning that it will slowly-but-surely win.

2 Likes

Hey, either one works, that was just the first thing that came to my mind.

I still don’t understand how Wailord made it as far as it did at Nationals. Now that the deck is on everybody’s radar, people should know how to approach the matchup. It shouldn’t even be necessary to tech against. At the risk of sounding like a complete fool, I’m going to write this deck off as a one trick pony.

Edit: I forgot to say Wailord vs. Wailord is the most boring and luck based match I can think of.

1 Like

It’ll be played at worlds for sure. Whether or not it does well? I doubt it. I think it’ll be like Pyroar in the sense that it had a strong presence at nationals, and will influence deck building for worlds, but will fail to make a splash like it did at nationals.

1 Like

I can’t see anyone good playing this at Worlds unless something changes. Simply, its matchups get much worse as soon as a player plays ~10 games against it.

It’s probably the best definition of “one-trick-pony” we’ve ever had.

7 Likes

@KPiplup While I completely agree, let me play devil’s advocate.

The deck made it through swiss at the largest tournament of the year. I believe all lists for the decks in top 8 were public information before the matches were played (please correct me if this is not true.) The Wailord list was definitely known to Jason when the finals started.

So with all of this established, how did the deck make it through top 8 against 2 of the best players in the US? Wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume that players of this caliber would know how to approach a matchup such as Wailord?

Is it possible that Wailord is so good at executing it’s strategy that even a high level opponent with complete knowledge of the list can’t stop it?

1 Like

While Wailord-EX can still be played well against an opponent that knows your list, the point here is that any deck can tech in a Bunnelby for a near-immediate win.