Volcanion and turtanator

Hey guys I haven’t posted in a while. I am trying a new gur variation on volcanion with turtonator let me know what I should do with it!

4 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Flareon EX
2 Shaymin EX
1 Hoopa EX
2 Turtonator GX
Energy: 11 Fire Energy

Trainers:

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Ninja Boy
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Fisherman
1 Hex Maniac (Or Pokemon Center Lady or Olympia)
4 Scorched Earth
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers Mail
4 VS Seeker
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Professors Letter
3 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Float Stone

You want to bump up the energy retriever count, but I don’t know for what. Flareon EX? Might want skyfields instead of scorched earth.

Ya the energy retrieval is a little low skyfeild is also important

I think in the face of Field Blower, Volcanion decks will need to start thinking about running less Float Stone and more ‘other’ switch cards.

I think you should think about dropping Ninja Boy and a Float Stone and then adding switches/ropes.

Edit: Your list at a glance also lacks Max Elixir. If you don’t want to, that’s up to you, but most successful lists run the full 4 and in my own time playing the deck I’ve played with and without and you should definitely run with them.

You do realize if you play hex maniac than Volcanion power up ability becomes useless.

So then you hex after you steam up?

It’s not an awful idea. Can be used to counter greninja and mega ray and sometimes mega gardy. I wouldn’t play it but it isn’t awful

If your running Hex for Greninja you might as well play Giratina Promo

But hex is good for other matchups and greninja doesn’t need ts shurikens to OHKO a volc due to band

Additionally, giratina promo gets shut off by silent lab and isn’t awful in every situation. I’d rather run sudowodo because at least you beat a hard matchup with that in mega ray and it has use vs decidueye plume (another deck that hex is good against)

One last thing: volcanion doesn’t necessarily need hex in order to beat greninja. It is completely winnable without it.

100% agree. Volcanion in my experience has always beaten Greninja as long as you have a quick enough start - no need for Hex.

Of course, I also ran Catcher, so that may account for my success. When Greninja fell off the meta, my catcher count also fell.

Catcher helps but isn’t necessary. Your gameplay is basically to take as many knockouts as possible while setting up baby volcanions and always marking sure that you have a counter stadium to remover silent lab (I ran delinquent in an earlier list which was really good but there isn’t space for it now unfortunately)
Now that we have turtonator the game becomes much easier as 2 steam up on shell trap KOs a greninja if the same greninja that you hit decides to attack into turtonator. Plus turtonator can accelerate energy super fast with its GX attack