"VirGen" – Virizion-EX, Genesect-EX // NXD-on

I just wanted to put down a new Flashfire list.
Pokemon - 13
4 Virizion EX
3 Genesect EX
2 Drifloon DRX
2 Drifblim DRX
1 Sigilyph DRX
I/S/S - 32
4 Juniper
4 Skyla
4 N
1 Colress
2 Triad
2 Skyarrow
2 Enhanced Hammer
1 G Booster
3 Energy Switch
1 Letter
1 Tropical Beach
3 Muscle Band
3 Ultra Ball
1 Super Rod
Energy - 15
10 Grass
4 Plasma
1 DCE

This is my consistent list, designed to be streamlined with a few techs. The strategy of this deck is simple. Use Virizion EX to load up Genesects while doing damage and G Booster and Red Signal when necessary. Drifblim+Enhanced Hammer wins you the Plasma and Aromatisse matchup and can KO Pyroars and Bouffalant is there for taking KOs on things softened up by Virizion and is generally the X-Factor in the mirror. Sigilyph is to promote during midgame droughts, AKA this deck’s biggest problem. Beach isn’t necessary, but it’s very nice turn 1 as a hand refresher.

Pokemon:
3 Virizion EX (PB 9)
3 Flabebe (FF 63)
3 Floette (FF 64)
3 Genesect EX (PB 11)
1 Virizion (NV 97)

Trainers**:**
4 N (NV 101)
2 Skyla (BC 134)
3 Level Ball (ND 89)
4 Professor Juniper (PF 116)
2 Colress (PS 135)
1 Super Rod (DRV 20)
1 G Booster (PB 92)
3 Ultra Ball (DE 102)
3 Shadow Triad (PF 102)
2 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
3 Eviolite (PS 122)
2 Switch (BW 104)

Energy:
10 Grass Energy (BW 105)
3 Plasma Energy (PF 106)

Basic strategy is to get out Virizion which powers up Genesect. And use Floette to increase their lives with the help of Eviolite. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

The problems I see with this list are the resources required to get Virizion & Genesect on the field. With only 3 Virizion, 3 Ultra ball, plus 2 Skyla you are giving yourself too high a chance of not getting everything out to get a T2 Emerald Slash.

I assume you want to reduce Skyla so you can draw into your hands, if so then I’d suggest 4 Ultra Ball, 1 Plasma Ball, and 4 Virizion to give yourself a shot of drawing into the hand you need. Potential cuts are Virizion NV (what situations do you use him in?), 1 Floette, 1 Shadow Triad.

Also with 66% of the basics not being Virizion EX, you will really need those switches so you might want to figure out how to up to 3 or increase the Skyla count.

Thank you Nabeel, I was thinking that NV Virizion could KO thing that the EXs can’t (such as Suicune or Latias EX). Now that you say that I agree, it should be removed, but what do a add to counter those cards. Also I’m assuming that Floettes ability stacks. Is having 3-3 worth it? Is Eviolite better than Band with Floette?

My revised list:
Pokemon:
4 Virizion EX (PB 9)
2 Flabebe (FF 63)
2 Floette (FF 64)
3 Genesect EX (PB 11)

Trainers:
4 N (NV 101)
3 Skyla (BC 134)
2 Level Ball (ND 89)
4 Professor Juniper (PF 116)
2 Colress (PS 135)
1 G Booster (PB 92)
4 Ultra Ball (DE 102)
3 Shadow Triad (PF 102)
2 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
3 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
3 Eviolite (PS 122)
2 Switch (BW 104)
1 Team Plasma Ball (PF 105)

Energy:
11 Grass Energy (BW 105)
4 Plasma Energy (PF 106)

Hey there everybody, this is my first post here so let me introduce myself! I’m Izzetmaster, and have just decided to get seriously into the Pokemon TCG. I did some research on some competitive decks, and I have decided to run Virizion and Genesect. It seems like my style of play, and I love winning more than losing. So I did a little tweaking to it, and I was wondering if you all could look it over for me! Tear it apart if you have to, I just want to be able to compete in my local league.

Also, I’ve seen on some forums that a new rotation is happening soon, and although I know what it means as I’ve played MTG for years, I don’t know which cards are being rotated out. If any cards on my list fall into that category, I would love suggestions for replacements for when rotation happens in September.

4 Virizion EX
3 Genesect EX
2 Pikachu
2 Raichu
1 Druddigon

4 Juniper
4 N
4 Skyla
2 Shadow Triad
2 Colress
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Ultra Ball
3 Muscle Band
3 Energy Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Colress Machine
3 Virbank City Gym
1 G Booster

4 Plasma Energy
9 Grass Energy

How come you have Super Rod listed twice? The Format rotation is going to be Boundaries Crossed on btw.

That was a typo. I edited the original post. Thank you for the rotation info. Any criticisms of the deck itself?

I really like the list, I would consider taking out a Virbank for another Colress Machine though.

Awesome. Thank you. I will definitely do some testing with your recommendation.

Unless Blastoise/Rayboar is popular in your area Druddigon probably isn’t needed. 4 Skyla might be too many, though testing will work that out for you. Since you’re running LaserBank and not Sky Arrow Bridge (would give you free retreat) you might want to throw some switches in there. And I would try to find room for a third Colress Machine, but of course testing will show if you’re happy with two.

Happy playing.

Funnily enough, my main opponent’s favorite deck is Blastoise, haha. So the Druddigon has helped me out a few times. I’m not running Sky Arrow Bridge because it is rotating out soon, and I wanted to play without it so that I would never miss it, haha. I will look into trading a Skyla for a Switch and see if that helps me. I even have some Base Set Switches so that will be fun to bust out. After testing OshaWaterBottle’s recommendation on an extra Colress Machine, I found that two was great. Have not tried or even considered a third but I love changing things so I will give that a go as well. Thanks, bud!

We played VirGen for a huge chunk of this season – the good news is not much of what you have is being rotated so VirGen should work pretty well for a while. This list is a fine start, let me offer a couple tweaks.

1. Professor’s letter. If you do nothing else you want this. In VirGen basically if you get the turn 2 emerald slash you will be in a good shape, if you don’t you are screwed. So the 4 Skyla are there to grab your ultra balls to get your virizion, sure, but they are also the backup if you wiff those first two attachments. It’s a life saver in 10-20% of games, which is a lot.

2. Switching cards. Without Skyarrow you are going to need a couple switching cards, I like 2 switch/1 escape rope but whatever floats your boat. 2-3 is good. Yes you can retreat for only one energy, but VirGen tends to have a hard time getting energy on the board late game. Think of it this way, the switching cards are to make sure you’re energy switches are going to be useful.

3. Some people drop a Plasma for a DCE, for that same late game energy problem. It also has synergy with Raichu of course. I wouldn’t do this unless you have two Shadow Triad, but you do. This is a playstyle option.

What to drop though? As someone mentioned Druddigon is weak across the meta and getting weaker, especially when you already have a non-EX attacker that does damage for a DCE. At a big tournament you aren’t going to be hitting many Dragons nowadays. I would also consider dropping one energy switch for a switch.

Best of luck!

You really don’t need Professor’s Letter. I’ve cut it for an extra Grass Energy in my lists (I run eleven) and it works perfectly. You really don’t miss Energy drops with so much Energy (and you can attach a Plasma Energy to Virizion in a pinch since Enhanced Hammer can’t come in and ruin your day anymore) and eleven is a large enough count that you aren’t likely to run out either. The “Skyla for Energy” idea is appealing, but I recommend testing a higher Energy count instead. Once I tried it, I never went back.