Vileplume AOR Variants // XY-on 2016

When Ancient Origins was first leaked, many people immediately thought: “Giratina/Vileplume looks good.”

Deck:
3 Giratina ex AOR
3 Oddish
3 Gloom
2 Vileplume
2 Miltank FLF
3 Unown AOR
2 Shaymin ex

4 Ultra Ball
3 Level Ball
2 Switch
2 VS Seeker
2 Muscle Band

4 Forest of Giant Plants

4 Shauna
4 Professor Sycamore
2 AZ
1 Hex Maniac
2 Lysandre

4 Double Dragon Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
3 Grass Energy
1 Psychic Energy

Wow. Glad I saw this. I was just about to make this thread my self. XD

Hydregon EX is good for retreating Giratina. Also, shred is good for aegislash.

This is my list:

Pokemon: 22
3-3-3 Vileplume
4 Giratina EX
2 Hydregon EX
1 Shaymin EX
4 Unknown
2 Miltank

Supporters: 13
4 Professor Sycamore
3 Shauna
2 Tierno
2 AZ
2 Lysandre

Items: 11
4 Ultra Ball
3 Level Ball
4 Trainer’s Mail

Stadiums: 4
4 Forest of Giant Plants

Energy: 10
4 Double Dragon Energy
4 Double colorless energy
2 Grass energy

1 Like

Vileplume is one of the only cards that’s currently too broad to be all one thread. At one point, we may even end up merging them, but for now this is fine. I’ll be cleaning up the last few posts.

2 Likes

There is more than one? I never actually made one. I was about to put in my list when I thought I would look again to make sure it wasn’t already made.

He meant he didn’t WANT there to be more than one.

Oh. I get it now. :smile:

So… any suggestions or deck discussion?

I don’t like Hydreigon ex in here. You need two out to retreat Giratina ex so I just run switch to get Giratina or Miltank out early before item lock.

But after item lock it helps to be able to put up a pokemon, and then be able to retreat for another if you draw something good. Sort of like how hawlucha was used.

And, shred is a decent attack

We have enough energies in here to retreat manualy and set it up again. Plus Miltank I a better attacker than Hydreigon ex

not running any Lysandre’s?

Switched a Level Ball and an Unown for two of em.

I’ll give it a go :smile:

As presented in the original post – tested it at various leagues this weekend. Could just be me … but I’ve had problems getting the lock down and getting Giratina going. Beautifly / Miltank shut me down (on PTCGO) because I couldn’t get a second Giratina going, Gallade-EX pushed me around after I applied the lock, and only having two Vileplumes wasn’t enough … I didn’t tell my friend that it only had two and he discarded one early via Sycamore, and I killed the second one off via Dusknoir. I also had my 1% chance hit (prizing both Vileplumes) so I was a bit unlucky.

When it works against an item-heavy starting hand, the look on their faces when you get the Vileplume going on Turn 1 is quite priceless, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this discussion is about Giratina and Vileplume, but if we find that Giratina isn’t the best thing to pair with Vileplume, does anyone have any other ideas for possible pairings?

I’m intrigued by this list. How does it run for you?

It runs very well. I did make some changes though (since I posted it).

This is what I am using now:

Pokemon:
3-3-3 Vileplume
4 Giratina EX
2 Hydregon EX
1 Shaymin EX
4 Unknown
1 Miltank

Supporters:
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Professor Birch’s Research
3 Shauna
2 Tierno
2 AZ
2 Lysandre

Items:
4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
3 Trainer’s Mail

Stadiums:
4 Forest of Giant Plants

Energy:
4 Double Dragon Energy
4 Double colorless energy
2 Grass energy
1 Psychic energy

I have to give it a try! I feel so uncomfortable not have VS seekers lol

Please note: This is now the general Vileplume AOR thread for standard. This will be the only Vileplume AOR thread for Standard at this time.

2 Likes

Dusknoir wont be legal in standard. Don’t expect dusknoir KO’s to happen. Unless u r talking about dusknoir FLF. Then I would say don’t expect that in standard because it isn’t used much.

1 Like

The Dusknoir KO was from a friend’s unlimited deck (he still plays Lysandre’s Trump Card and Stage 1s Dusclops from HGSS because of the non-standard weaknesses); it was just for the expression of the fragility of the deck with only 2 Vileplume cards if you happen to discard one early. A single Vileplume becomes a far tastier morsel to be Lysandred up. With a retreat cost of 3, it’s extremely difficult to avoid a single Vileplume getting KOed, and without a stage 2 Vileplume, it’s VERY difficult to win a game even ahead a couple of prizes.

I prefer the 3-3-3 line and Phoenix15’s Hydreigons makes a lot more sense after clumsily discarding away a DDE and a DCE to keep the attacks going in some of my testing games. Even a single Hydreigon-EX to reduce the cost to a single DCE or DDE would be great … but your mileage may vary.