Vileplume AOR, Decidueye-GX // Expanded 2017

I’ve noticed that there aren’t many threads for current expanded decks, so I figured I’d make one.
This thread is for Vileplume/Decidueye GX, which has had a few high placings at St. Louis regionals.
Here’s a sample list from John Kettler, who finished 2nd at St. Louis.

4 Rowlett
4 Dartrix
4 Decidueye GX
2 Oddish
2 Gloom
2 Vileplume
2 Lugia EX
3 Shaymin EX
1 Jirachi EX

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Xerosic

4 Forest of Giant Plants

4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
3 Trainers’ Mail
2 Revitalizer

2 Float Stone
1 Computer Search

4 Double Colorless
4 Grass

The idea of the deck is to set up multiple Decidueye and a Vileplume, so that you have consistent damage while item locking your opponent. This deck takes an extremely strong matchup against Night March (although it isn’t perfect) and Zygarde/Carbink. Additionally, since it’s a Vileplume deck, you can just go off with turn 1 Vileplume and win the game.

What are your guys’s thoughts about this deck? Is it a flash in the pan or is it poised to be a top-tier threat in the metagame for League Cups and Portland Regionals?

Why are you running thicker on top? Personally, I believe there needs to be an FOGP ban. This is a rather broken concept, and it is not the first time there has been a problem with this card.

It isn’t my list, and I recall hearing it this way, but it may not actually be built like this. However, the logic behind it is that you can bench oddish immediately when it comes into your hand, so you’ll never have to burn one with a sycamore/juniper like you would with gloom and vileplume. It saw some play last year as part of the Vileplume/Vespiquen archetype, but I’m not sure how popular it was.

Update: The sample list has been fixed to reflect Kettler’s exact list.

I think an AZ would be better than a Xerosic. You could play a vileplume without a float stone and not have to worry as much.

A single AZ doesn’t do much in a vileplume deck; it’s either 3+ or none. Besides, you can retreat with DCE, grass and if you are worried about running out of resources just remember that hollow hunt is a thing.

a single AZ with decidueye can net you an extra 20 dmg when you need it.

Maybe I’m arguing with results, but a single Xerosic is more reactive than AZ, while AZ is also a little draw support. If you say a single AZ isn’t going to help, what would a single Xerosic do?

The deck would’nt have won 2nd at St. Louis if the Night March it went up against didn’t mess up and lose the game.He let the plume live and lost the game because of it. I still liked the deck though.

Eve still, it was top 8 out of 700ish players. This is impressive.

Get rid of a tool that was put down before vileplume maybe? Or just some disruption[quote=“OrangeMango, post:9, topic:10387, full:true”]
The deck would’nt have won 2nd at St. Louis if the Night March it went up against didn’t mess up and lose the game.He let the plume live and lost the game because of it. I still liked the deck though.
[/quote]

That’s just how this game is. People misplay and you can’t do anything about it. Personally I didn’t see that game so oak if I would’ve done something different but regardless, the matchup was in favor of kettler

This is…false, at best.

I feel like if he had knocked out the vileplume, Kettler would have been able to set up multiple Decidueye and just ignore tauros for the rest of the game while taking easy knockouts on the benched night marchers then knocked out the tauros once he had two decidueye set up, but that’s just me.

It’s completely true, kettler had the complete upper hand against NM.

What do you guys think about playing a 1 of toxicroak-ex in the deck
or playing a one of jolteon-ex / rainbow energy

Don’t play jolteon with rainbow. Inconsistent. Toxicroak is also not that good.