Vespiquen AOR 10 Variants // XY-on 2016

I was gonna say, nothing competitive (yet) is weak to water, flareon is nice because you can KO sceptile and metal, but I think what you should really be focusing on is jolteon, for all the mega ray and yveltal.

1 Like

A split would work best. And yveltal is dead next format.

2 Likes

We dont know what might happen in the next format, we can predict but not know, heck vaporeon might be a thing.

1 Like

Especially considering all of the fire attackers we’ll probably get from XY8

1 Like

Well, Vaporeon is still useful for decks running Standard in PTCGO. Also, if you take this Expanded, Vaporeon will have its use as well. It lets you swiftly deal with Landy.

You don’t need to run it now, but be sure to keep an open mind out for it in case a Water Weak threat shows up.

1 Like

I run vespiquen with support from AOR sableye and Primal Clash bunnelby, my basic energy of choice thus being dark. Starting with either of them and going second lets me either discard more pokemon, using sableye’s attack to bewitch a sycamore (and gaining draw power in the process), or reshuffle any useful cards that get discarded (such as DCE or Lysandres) with rototiller. I run 2 of each. Thoughts?

That doesn’t seem bad.

1 Like

What do we think about running 1 copy of Wobbuffet as a counter to vileplume? Bee decks are incredibly item-dependant, after all, whether your main discard strategy is ultra balls or battle compressors. Or is running a couple of Hex Maniacs sufficient for this match-up? I’m thinking purely in terms of Standard format, not Expanded.

1 Like

1 Hex Maniac - and your list should already include at least two Flareons.

4 Likes

In total agreement here. Hex Maniac is very flexible. For example, you can shut down bat damage which can be a real pain for low HP attackers.

I also recommend Teammates as well. Its super important get get quality over quantity with Vespiquen (essentially you can keep streaming Bees and DCEs with Teammates/VS seeker).

1 Like

Basically every turn you get KO’d, right?
How should we counter just 4 basics in the deck that can be used (if we go a straight 4-4 of Vespiquen as our attackers)?

lysandre on shaymins normally means you will only need 4 vespiqueens per game. sacred ash gets you back excess pokemon (which makes unown a great target) so its not too big an issue. you can also play a single bunnelby.
the bigger issue is only 4 dces to take 6 prizes. there are ways around this. i like using shaymin ex to hit for 30/50 rather than a vespiqueen for 80-120 early game when i know it should be a 2hko either way. preserves dce’s and muscle bands, clears an ex off the bench, and lets you set up again next turn to guarantee the ko.
blacksmith and flareon is a solid energy engine. i am personally using landorus to help get 2 basic energies on to vespiqueen when necessary.

2 Likes

I run 3 fire energy in mine along with 4 dce. I sometimes end up attacking as flareon and use it as dual electric/fire with jolteon. Don’t know if that helps.

1 Like

I found that Blacksmith + 4 Fires really, really help. Won against a Giratina Vileplume deck only just now.

Granted, I run the Raichu variant, which I found to not need Battle Compressors.

2 Likes

4-4 or 3-3 of Raichu?

4-4 Raichu, 3-3 Vespiquen.

I’ll be honest here and say that the deck is more of a Raichu deck than a Vespiquen deck, but there isn’t an XY-On Raichu deck yet so here I am.

1 Like

I’ve been considering running Raichu, as well.

I think running a 3-3 of Vespiquen, 4-4 of Raichu, and throwing in a few Eeveelutions and Unown might be the way to go.

And Shaymins. These are quite important as well.

1 Like

I think if you run 2 jolteon, you wont need raichu. And I like to run a single virizion to get pokes back and as a late game attacker.

2 Likes

Except Raichu > Jolteon, because it gives you more attackers. I’m still going to run at least one Jolteon, however.