Tyranitar EX deck suggestions

I am building a Mega Tyranitar EX deck for my 8 year old son for Christmas. He really wants it due to the extreme damage it can cause. I don’t have trainer’s mail or VS Seeker on the list due to costs. I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions to make the deck better. I was pondering Spinda for 10 damage to all or Robo Sub as a stall tactic until he can power up the Tyranitars. Any thoughts?

Tyranitar EX x3
M Tyranitar EX x3
Yveltal x3
Zubat #53 x3
Golbat #32 x3
Crobat #33 x2
Professor Birch’s Observations x3
Lysandre x1
Shauna x1
Teammates x1
AZ x2
heavy ball x2
Ultra Ball x3
Scramble Switch x1
Switch x1
Escape Rope x1
Tyranitar Spirit Link x3
Mega Turbo x4
Battle Compressor x3
Darkness x9
Double Colorless x4
Team Magma’s Secret base x2
hard charm x2

This is really bugging me -> suggestions in the title is spelt wrong :confounded:

1 Like

But on a serious note:
Casual stuff:

• Yveltal isn’t neccessarily a no-brainer as its only 1 for 1 energy acceleration (although, yes I do see that beautiful scramble switch) so a wall like wobbuffet may do better. Does deal nicely with nm when they havn’t got a fury belt but idk if that would be relevant to your son.
    -I can’t claim to have played the deck and have expirience on this issue: but crobat may or may not be better than a fourth line of golbat. golbat -> destroyer king = 250 dmg should be enough so its really whether you want a slightly more clunky setup on bats early or a setup that’s easier to expand on but dropping the crobat ontop as it takes only 1 card as opposed to having to get another zubat and golbat over again.
    -You could also try fury belt for yveltal or assault vest for the ancient trait. exp share is also onboard if you want to conserve energy.
    Less casual stuff:
    -no juniper/sycamore? Maybe this is because your son inherintly doesn’t like the card due to discarding or something, but perhaps there should be 8-10 supporter that refresh the hand so play doesn’t become too stale with draw-passing.
    -max elixir may be good in the deck (with 9 basic energy), but I presume its the same situation as vs seeker and trainers’ mail.
    -I’ve seen players try to use team magma’s secret base and spinda but it never really works as magma’s base gets bumped or comes down too late and spinda doesn’t pack a big enough punch. An alternative stadium could be silent lab; if he plays against people who use shaymin-EX…
    I hope this is the kind of thing you’re looking for!

Bats from PHF are a really good way of dropping damage down for one shots

I actually think EXP Share is a really good idea. You can run Yveltal, because with EXP share the energy gets moved to the tyranitar. Silent Lab is good since you don’t run shaymin. Since you said no Trainer’s Mail, Acro Bike seems like the next best option. Run 4 N. Birch is terrible, and so is Shauna. Sycamore/Juniper is also a must I have to say. I used to hate Juniper too, but a deck is no fun if you’re dead drawing constantly. Juniper will help you dead draw less.

Thanks Swan.

• I have never tried Yveltal, I will get a wobbuffet to add in as an alternative in case it is inefficient
  • good call on the bats - i will try it out.
  • i didn’t do sycamore. he struggles to use them effectively. He will sit on cards he doesn’t need and not lay a sycamore because he can’t stand to discard. He is doing great at learning the complex strategies and combos, but knowing when to sacrifice some cards for the chance to move forward is still tough. So draw power that puts cards back in the deck is a good stepping stone.
  • yeah, max elixir is to much $$ at the moment…eventually we will get there.
  • I favor the magma base over spinda as well, but thought it would be fun to try.

Our “Meta” is essentially me and his cousins for now. I am ramping up his strategies but he still just loves this guy cause he can do insane damage.

I really like the idea of simplifying the deck with more bats and dropping the Yveltal.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some ideas and feedback. I am going to build the deck and up in some extras to let him experiment and find what he likes best…afterall that is the fun of the game!

EXP share is an awesome idea in combo with Yveltal. I always find that anything more then 2 N’s is too much. Late game I just feel like I am helping the other guy too much. Maybe it is just because of the dynamic within the small group I play with.

Given our small group I try hard not to build decks knowing what the others have. Ex, my son has a Night March deck. I could just load up on Karen, but that would destroy the fun. I have a Tool Drop deck and we didn’t stack his deck to wipe tools constantly. Once we start going to leagues and such I am sure this will change, but for now he is learning and were building our collection!

If I was to invest a bit more in the trainers would you prefer VS Seeker, Trainers’ Mail or Max Elixer in this deck? I am thinking about getting him 2 VS Seekers as a step towards building out his library. And it seems like a natural step to remove 2 supporters and put in 2 VS Seekers.

vs seeker is the most staple of the 3; but if there are still only a 4-6-ish count of drawing supporters overall don’t cut them for vs seekers because there is simply not a large enough count of draw support in the first place.

oh yeah, good call.

Another random question. Would a single Hoopa EX (I am ok risking it being a prize) be better then the heavy balls? then i could max the ultra ball at 4. This seems like it would really accelerate things for the deck. Also, this would work nicely with the AZ. And maybe even find room for a Scoop Up.

And as much as I keep thinking of simplifying it by removing Yveltal the energy acceleration just seems too important.

Thanks for the help and time…much appreciate it

If the problem with finding tyranitar’s and megas is dead drawing, then I would believe the problem would be draw support again; I believe that hoopa ex generally isn’t very good if you don’t have shaymin ex especially when your mega of choice can be searched with just 1 card (heavy ball; other e.g.'s inc. dive ball targets).
In conclusion, with the 2 heavy balls with 3 ultra balls you shouldn’t whiff tyranitars as long as you are drawing cards every turn. Also 1-2 level ball is an option for finding bats early.

Ok, here is my modified deck list:

Tyranitar EX x3
M Tyranitar EX x3
Yveltal x3
Zubat x3
Golbat x3
Crobat x2
N x2
Professor Sycamore x2
Shauna x1
Teammates x1
AZ x2
heavy ball x2
Ultra Ball x3
level ball x2
exp share x2
Scramble Switch x1
Escape Rope x1
Tyranitar Spirit Link x3
Mega Turbo x4
Battle Compressor x3
Darkness x7
Double Colorless x4
Team Magma’s Secret base x2
dangerous energy x1

I like that the exp. share will recover the energy used on Yveltal. I will also include 2 more Sycamore to potentially substitute for the Magma Base. I like the idea of the level balls easily pulling the bats.

I still believe 5 draw support is too little; its a low count even if you did add 4 vs seekers, 2 shaymin ex and a hoopa ex ontop.

1 Like

hmmm. that makes sense. What would you drop from this list to bump up the draw power? Everything feels painful to drop.

-yvletal is good; however with zubat’s free retreat, it should be quite easy to search through ultra ball and switch in, so it shouldn’t hurt too much to cut a copy if neccessary.
-teammates gets exactly what you want but I don’t see this as a big deal in a deck as clean cut as Mtyranitar.
-az may not require the second copy due to not being very versatile (can’t draw through shay pick ups)

• level ball and exp share may not require 2 counts.
    -battle compressor isn’t as multi use without vs seekers
    -could cut a dark energy due to mega turbo compressor combos finding them from deck
    -may need to play a stadium even if it is mostly for disrupting your opponent’s stadium
1 Like