"Three Sides" – My Expected Metagame Triangle for US Nationals 2014

This is the companion discussion topic for this article.

Thank you for the article. This does spotlight a lot of what I’ve been finding out in my testing so far. It’s very difficult to tell if everyone’s going to be on Yveltal/Garbodor, but I feel like that’s just a safe and reliable play at this point. Given that we are going to have a large number of swiss rounds, I think being on the big-bad of the format is going grant the best chance at Top Cut; you don’t have to win all your rounds after all. Just most of them. You’re right about there not being a lot of room to tweak for the mirror, and those are going to be the most important matches of all.

1 Like

Even though I don’t agree on the fact that yveltal is the one standalone best deck in the format I still liked your article. It was well written.

At one point you refer to milotic as being a way to get grass energy back on virizion/genesect but keep in mind that milotic excludes pokemon ex.

1 Like

Someone please tell me the “play style” caption gave them a chuckle.

1 Like

Tomvandendop:I do feel that Yveltal Garbodor is the best deck, and I can actually explain how I came to that conclusion because it isn’t just a gut feeling I am relying on. ( Although some of the method I use does require a bit of assumption. )

When I look at a format, I draw up a grid. You write down each matchup’s win percentage, and then you make an estimation as to what percentage of the field at the upcoming event you suspect each deck will make up. Once you do that, you can calculate the overall expected win percentage of each deck for your predicted metagame. Yveltal Garbodor’s overall win percentage versus the entire metagame was notably higher than any other deck.

Of course, if people expect Garbodor to be popular, and people skip out on playing decks weak to it and all choose to play decks to beat it, you have to recalculate the % of the field each deck is. You also have to recalculate expected win rates if you expect those decks to rebuild in ways which include cards to beat you. So the expected win percentage for the Nationals field after its had time for testing to prepare people can change, but at the start of testing, BEFORE people skewed their deck choices and lists to combat Garbodor Yveltal left a clear impression that Yveltal Garbodor was overall better vs the entire field than any of the other decks.

Regarding putting Grass Energy on EXes, you are using Ditto. You put the Grass on Ditto, and then put the EX card atop Ditto to cheat the restriction.

Adam: That is one of my fav pics from Toledo Regionals 2005. Sadly they didn’t get any pics of Drew Holton or Rich Olson from the event, as all 3 of us dressed up.

My PERSONAL favorite was the Charizard with his head in the pipe. Got an audible laugh out of me. The Jirachi was pretty adorable as well.

1 Like

I don’t have allot to comment, I did find the decks interesting, I still have been using skyla in Yveltal/Dark Garb decks, apparently I’m not the only one. I just hate the well “random factor” of random receiving and I don’t really care for bicycles that much. Revision 2.0 looks quite promising for someone who still likes skyla, hates random receivers and yeah, I can deal with 1 bicyle. I usually end up just tossing out most of my bicycles, they work for some people, just not me. haha.

I enjoyed the article though + Rep.

The Bicycle is just a bit of insurance. Having a card to Junk Hunt for is nice ( well, it is technically a second one beyond Dowsing Machine, but it certainly increases the odds of seeing one. ) and I really like the one of Bicycle in decks running Skyla in case you need some sort of hail mary play and just need to try and refill the hand and Skyla is your only supporter. It isn’t a spectacular card, but it is a pretty good safety net in the deck.