"The Whirlwind Tour" – 75 Flip-Filled First Turns with Shiftry NXD

This is the companion discussion topic for this article.

7 Likes

Wow. Amazing article!
I finally understand the hype. :smile:
The amount of testing you did is incredible, and the results seemed decent.
I might try this deck out too.
Thanks!

EDIT:
Devolution spray says at the end:

(that pokemon can’t evolve this turn)

Does giant plant forest overwrite that, or would you have to evolve to a different nuzleaf?

Plant Forest overwrites devolution spray, hence possibly getting multiple Giant Fans from the cycle (evolve/attempt/devolve/evolve/attempt) during a turn.

2 Likes

Devolution Spray’s text in parentheses is reminder text. There’s nothing to override. Devolution Spray is just clarifying for you that under normal circumstances, Devolving is the same as Evolving for the once-per-turn limit.

5 Likes

Holy Huntail! And I thought that a high school final took forever…all I can say is, Dylan, that I salute you and Sam Chen. W-O-W-!!!

1 Like

Hey, anyone interested should definitely try this out. Even if you don’t like the deck (I don’t) you’ll learn a lot about sequencing moves optimally and what you’ll have to do to beat it with just a few hours of multitasking. I did 75 turns in maybe 4 hours at the most. I think it’s pretty cool that goldfishing games can spit out some finite data that actually shows how effective/ineffective a strategy can be.

Bonus points if anyone finds the Easter egg.

The variant of Shiftry I tested a little bit of saw less success than yours (mine averaged around 5.1) but with a 2-2-2 line of Latios-ex (2 latios ex, 2 energy, 2 muscle). I am trying to figure out which is better for a Shiftry deck, excluding latios entirely, or keeping it in the hopes your opponent starts or benches something with 60 hp or less (anything from an eevee, shelmet, pikachu, combee, seedot, etc. in expanded). Your data is very interesting - thank you for the post!

Do you think shiftry is worth playing at regionals?

Another thing I think is amazing in this deck but no one ever uses is Pokemon Communication. Allows you to get Shiftry out of the way early game and take the Shaymin you need.

But don’t you want the shiftry?

At the start of the game, if you start with Pokemon Communication, you don’t really want Shiftry yet if you don’t have FoGP. So you Poke-Comm the Shiftry for later and grab a Shaymin EX hopefully to draw the FoGP.

Yes it’s the turn that doesn’t end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing it not knowing what is was and they’ll continue playing it forever just because it is the turn that doesn’t end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing it not knowing what is was and they’ll continue playing it forever just because it is the turn that doesn’t end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing it not knowing what is was and they’ll continue playing it forever just because it is the turn that doesn’t end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing it not knowing what is was and they’ll continue playing it forever just because it is the turn that doesn’t end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing it not knowing what is was and they’ll continue playing it forever just because it is the turn that doesn’t end. …

6 Likes

In the article, it was said that if there was a card that said “draw one card” that it would be played; so why not replace the skates with Revive to re-use Unown and literally have a card that draws one card?

2 Likes

That depends, how comfortable do you feel flipping coins?

It seems better than Acro Bike, but probably not Roller Skates. Revive does nothing when you have a full bench and when there are no Unown in the discard pile. Its uselessness in the early game turns me off a bit.

I wonder how taking out a Shiftry for Max Revive would be?

1 Like

I think the chances of Revive being useful are better than the chance of success with Roller Skates.

1 Like

Roller Skates = Draw 1.5 cards on average.

Revive = Draw less than 1 card on average.

It’s worse.

4 Likes

Fine with flipping if the deck as a whole works. Is it impossible to play without 4 Shaymin? Seeing as I don’t t have any, this might not be the expanded deck for me. I love the concept, but I just don’t have the shaymin

3 Shaymin is the minimum. I would never play this without 4 personally, but the deck straight up doesn’t work with less than 3.

1 Like

Do you recommend using a coin or a dice for all of the flips?