"The Insouciance of Spice" – My Dallas Experience w/ Zoro/Garb, Final Notes on Expanded, and Team Up and Standard

This is the companion discussion topic for this article.

Good afternoon! Appreciate the article and the data along with it. For there to be so few Buzzwole it seems like I encountered a lot lol. I’m from a couple hours south of Dallas, in Waco to be precise. I attended this regional and it was my first sanctioned tournament of any kind. I had a lot of fun but did not do very well. I played Darkrai and had expected to meet up against several Zoroark. My strategy was to play 4 Enhanced Hammers and Parallel City to combat their Sky Field and try to prevent those big hits.

However, as luck would have it, I got paired against only 2 Zoroark, 1 Shocklock, and 6 fighting decks. Of the 6, 4 were specifically Buzzwole. So I think the pairings were just odd for some people. I believe you made a good choice as to what deck and techs to play. You just had some bad luck too by not seeing any of the Toad and Archie decks. I also did not see either of those which surprised me. Of the fighting decks I encountered I saw 4 Buzzwole, 1 Lucario, and 1 Marshadow themed deck. So I made a really bad decision when guessing what everyone else was going to play.

I think your analysis of the new Tag Team cards is right on the mark. I’m just disapointed the Pikachu/Zekrom card has a fighting weakness. That just ruins it for me. It seems like anything with potential they give a fighting weakness which just reinforces everyone to play more Zoroark.

I love the fact that Pokemon communication will be in the new set. This is a great consistency card. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Timer Ball?

Anyway, guess I kind of rambled there. Appreciate the article and good luck at your next event.