Sun and Moon Rule Changes

Japan has announced the following rule changes to its tournament play, set to take effect December 9th:

1. Before: Players set up their field, then play Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide the player going first.
    Now: Players will play Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide the player going first, then set up.

2. Before: The player who wins Rock-Paper-Scissors goes first.
    Now: The player who wins Rock-Paper-Scissors chooses who goes first.

3. Before: The Special Condition Burn: "Between turns, the affected Pokemon’s player flips a coin. If tails, places two damage counters on that Pokemon."
    Now: The Special Condition Burn: “Between turns, place two damage counters on a burned Pokemon. The affected Pokemon’s player flips a coin. If heads, the burn is removed. If tails, it remains.”

(http://www.pokemon-card.com/info/sun_moon-rule/)

Odds are that these will be the only rule changes in this block.

3 Likes

Before anyone asks: the first two are already in place in America as far as timing goes. That’s just Japan catching up to us. RPS isn’t a thing here, of course.

Since when did we have to play Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who goes first?

Ah, yeah, that as well. Japan plays RPS, we flip a coin.

1 Like

So what do we do now? Is it different?

The headline here is Burn. I was pretty sure it was implied by me saying “Japan has announced the following rule changes to its tournament play” that the actual changes in game play didn’t affect us, especially since they’re really already in effect here.

Japan has never flipped a coin to determine the player going first. I somewhat forgot that isn’t common knowledge.

1 Like

That burn stuff is weird. Seems like a nerf and a buff all rolled up into one package of dubious goodness.

Well at least that Volcarona from DEX will be semi-playable now

(Volcarona + Volcanion EX + Laserbank seems legit)

Where’s the synergy between Volcarona and Volcanion EX?

Nevermind, I didn’t see the Basic part.

Glad to hear they apparently haven’t removed the “no-attacking” restriction on the first player during their first turn.

1 Like

Why? With free attacks returning, it could be good.

Free attacks? C’mon.

3 Likes

This was the best picture I could find to convey my feelings to being able to attack on your first turn.

9 Likes

This is the only picture you needed to find because it’s so perfect

1 Like

It could be good if you couldn’t use damaging attacks.

2 Likes

Maybe damaging attacks that are ~20 damage? Latios-EX is 40 for [P], and you can search it out w/ Hoopa-EX.

I’d also be behind attacking whenever, but no damage can be done on either player’s first turn, but the player who goes first can’t play items or can’t play supporters.

The reason I say only 0 damage attacks is because it would allow call for family like attacks to be used.

Why are we speculating? This thread is just to discuss rule changes to Japan. I don’t think this is the right thread for this.

2 Likes