"Summer of Champions" – Nats Recap, Emergences Explained, and the Top 10 Decks for Worlds

This is the companion discussion topic for this article.

Good stuff as always. Love the call on Wobbats especially the addition of Shaymin. It seems against the grain of the deck but it greatly helps with the setup and you can AZ/Scoop it off the board so its not an easy target.

1 Like

Hi! Great article! Just one question: why do you think that Landorus/Crobat is not worthy of joining this top 10 list?

Thanks!
Bruno

@bsguedes Thanks! I think Landorus/Crobat is too limited and easily countered. For instance, the auto-win of Manectric becomes an near autoloss with the addition of Suicune and Articuno. With AZ finding it’s place in more decks, and Toad still very prominent, I don’t see it placing highly. The deck is obviously strong and has great synergy, but just not a good call.

Great article Kyle.

I have to tell you: if I were playing at worlds, I would seriously have to consider Wailord for at least day 1, and your article makes my case even stronger. You provided the specific reasons why it was successful for that singular tournament, and how incredibly easy it is to counter. Which one would think is reason enough to stay far away. BUT: Not one of your lists has a Bunnelby. This makes sense of course: you are giving us deck lists from which we can edit according to our expectations, and I realize you’re not going to put the same tech in every deck. SO: If there are 400 players for day one, how many decks will have a Bunnelby in them? Certainly not 40. These are great odds for Wailord.

Some decks can already beat Wailord without Bunnelby though (not saying autowin, but even-positive); metal variants and M-Manectric variants that can deal with safeguard can succeed against Wailord for example, and this is something else to take into consideration; of course this requires that your opponents playing these decks know how to deal with Wailord, which might support the idea that it would be a good play for day one, but not day 2.

Lots of decks know how to beat Wailord-EX without bunnelby. I’m prepared to face a ton of Wailords on my first day at worlds, but you just follow a linear strategy. Keep a Minimal bench size so you can Colress for small numbers, never let your hand get to large, and only ever attach to one attacker. Using M Ray as an example, just put all of your DCE’s on 1 M Ray, and you’re in a pretty strong position. And, all it takes is a single Bunnelby or Jirachi ROS to ruin your day as a Wailord player.

The key statement in my reply: “if I were playing at worlds”

I am not playing at worlds. I didn’t qualify. A person who didn’t qualify is suggesting Wailord is a great play day one… where you can afford two losses and still make day 2. Thus: if you find my opinion worthless, disregard it.

Note that I was referring to Masters. I can definitely see Juniors and Seniors teching for Wailord.

And I object to your comment on linear strategy. Night March and Toad/Garbodor immediately come to mind as linear strategy decks that will be found en masse.

No, you misunderstand, I mean the player playing against Wailord-EX just has to follow a linear strategy to beat it. My bad, I should’ve worded that better. Also, Wailord will be far less common in masters, because, at least in my experience, Masters are far less stubborn then us kids :stuck_out_tongue: Wailord-EX lacks the surprise factor it needs to succeed. People know how to play against it now, even without techs.

Thanks for your answer, Kyle! If you don’t mind, I would like to know how do you see Primal Groudon-EX and Dragon Rayquaza at this moment? Do you think they are good contenders and can be a surprise at Worlds?

Thanks again,
Bruno