2 Silver Bangle
2 Training Center
1 Computer Search
Total Trainers-34

Energy
6 Grass
4 DCE
Total Energy-10

Shiftry does 20 times the number of benched Pokémon. Usually benches are full or close to full so Sfiftry can do 160-200 damage not counting Muscle Band/Silver Bangle. It also has a great ability so when you discard a grass energy from hand you draw three cards. However if used a lot the deck might run out of energy. Raichu can do 100 damage when the bench is full and can KO Yveltal EX and Lugia EX. Beartic can KO Landurus EX.

What’s up with Milotic & Miltank?

1 Like

One thing does come to mind:

If this is an energy-run deck, why no Prof. Letters?

I’ve really never understood Milotic in this deck. You only need to attach a DCE and a grass to attck with Shiftry and it’s not that hard to do even with Enhanced Hammer. Sure it can get you back the Grass back when you leaf draw but you give up a prize and I don’t see it worth it. Miltank has a terrible fighting weakness and can be one shot with M Manectric EX. It is a great attack but I don’t see it worth it while the stage one get the Training Center bonus and hit for weakness.

Milotic is a great way to grab energy out of the discard pile and onto a Shiftry and swing for some nice damage.

Miltank is there because Shiftry is a stage 2, and Miltank does really well with stage 2’s. This is a really nice fire-type counter.

I recently played the following list at Fort Wayne and although I ultimately fell short of top 32, I did hang out around and take wins at the top three tables (5/3/2 Final record was slightly disappointing after starting 4/0/2).

Anyways, my list will probably change some now that Phantom Gate is out, but here is the Fort Wayne version.

Pokemon (18)
4 Seedot FLF
2 Nuzleaf FLF
4 Shiftry FLF
2 Tropius PLB
1 Jirachi EX PLB
1 Mr. Mime PLF
1 Virizion EX PLB
1 Suicune PLB
1 Feebas FLF
1 Milotic FLF

T/S/S (30)
2 Energy Retrieval
1 Muscle Band
1 Silver Bangle
1 Sacred Ash
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Dowsing Machine
2 Hypnotoxic Laser
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball

2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Lysandre
2 Skyla
3 Professor Sycamore
4 N

Energy(12)
7 Grass
4 DCE
1 Water

For the sake of not turning this into an article I will refrain from explaining why every card is in the deck, but here are a few thoughts I had after the event that might help future shiftry players find more luck than I did.

1. A second nuzleaf really doesn’t make the toad matchup easier, but it does make discarding rare candy less of a risk.
  2. A second Lysandre or a way to recycle it would have won me at least two lost games.
  3. 2 Milotic is too many. You never use both, you rarely want it early, you sometimes don’t need it.
  4. That said, sometimes an energy grace is game-changing.
  5. Lasers help you hit odd numbers and stall. Possibly the best change I made from the original list.
  6. When looking for partners, look first at basic pokemon. Since your main attacker is a stage-2, it takes up a considerable amount of space. I have found more success with virizion, jirachi, tropius as it allows you higher counts of benchable pokemon.
  7. Startling Megaphone wins games. Straight up. Include at least one way to remove items from opponents pokemon.
  8. Tropius has three uses. Bench for +20 damage, excellent starter (return, grass-type, fighting resist) and your only way to deal with Latias EX (Sorry to whoever that was).
  9. I played Comp Search and I personally like Dowsing Machine more.

Cards from Phantom Gate that interest me (In no particular order):

1. Target Whistle
  2. Vs. Seeker
  3. Battle Compressor
  4. Xerosic (I think megaphone will be better)
  5. LLR

Anyways, this is my favorite deck in the format and I’m open to any questions and excited that there is finally a thread for it.

3 Likes

Is anyone else still playing this? I have been messing around with a Floette FLF/Training Center variant and I really like that you hit Seismitoad and both Primals for weakness plus Target Whistle, VS. Seeker, and LLR make the deck feel a lot cleaner then before.

I’m sure Skyfield could also be played, but if MegaRay becomes a big deck then just dropping Training Center can make it so Shiftry can no longer be OHKOed. Granted it becomes harder for Shiftry to get OHKOs on MegaRay, but playing TC lets you control the pace of the game a little more.

Just for a few ideas.

Such a hard deck to build. The real updates to this deck are Skyfield, Shaymin EX, and Wally. Thanks to Skyfield, Deranged Dance and Circle Circuit do a lot of dmg. I included Wally as another out to Shiftry, if you have a benched Ditto, Transform to Seedot, evolve into Nuzleaf, then use Wally to get Shiftry in play you can start abusing Leaf Draw quickly even under Item Lock. I included an Aegislash EX to also help not take dmg while trying to execute this strategy. The other reason to include Ditto is to have another Winona target besides Shaymin EX and also help your evolution lines evolve faster. You could fall back on Nuzleaf’s Cut attack against the Toad, but a three energy attack to do 80 dmg from a Stage 1 isn’t that great. Exeggcute is to help with discarding and adds a quick 40 dmg to each pokemon’s main attacks if they are in the discard pile, they can also be used to force a Shaymin EX or damaged bench pokemon off the field in the event Skyfield gets kicked. The deck is by no means perfect, Toad/Garbo is pretty much an autoloss, but against Rayquaza EX you have a fairly good shot. Anyway Here it is:

4-2-3 Shiftry
2-2 Raichu
3 Shaymin EX
1 Aegislash EX
1 Jirachi EX
2 Ditto
2 Exeggcute

4 Sycamore
3 N
3 Colress
1 LTC
1 Lysandre
1 Wally
1 Winona

1 CPU
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Skyfield

4 DCE
5 Grass

I needed a deck for a Grass Evolution Challenge and ended up building a Shiftry (FLF)/Raichu (XY) build. It’ll take me a bit to get the list from the PTCGO and I’m not sure it is worth it because it isn’t exactly my most winning deck. Questioning the Ditto and Aegislash EX.

Ditto is just to help evolve faster in hand combos with Winona and Wally.

if you have a benched Ditto, Transform to Seedot, evolve into Nuzleaf, then use Wally to get Shiftry in play…

Can also be used with the Raichu line too.

Aegislash EX is to wall/stall, which is something I like to have in any evolution deck. I noticed a lot of decks around me running 4 DCE and maybe 1 or 2 basic energies, so Aegislash EX just seemed appropriate. I guess a Safeguarder could fill the roll too.

Why not use the Butterfree FLF with the Adaptive Evolution Ability?

Before I elaborate further, let me state that I forgot I had designed my deck for Unlimited play. Why? Thankfully most players are not using that format for sick decks built using the best cards available on the PTCGO. It does mean when I give my list later, I realize it is not compatible with the thread. I need to tweak it for Standard play, which is part of why I came here in the first place. I’m also not using a lot of non-Standard cards.

Granted I’m not sure if I’d run Wally or Winona either.

I get how Ditto is being used; it is another Colorless Pokémon that Winona can search and as you state it can become either of the deck’s main attackers, so long as Abilities are working. Considering I just had to deal with an annoying Wobbuffet / Primal Groudon-EX deck last night, on top of the usual Ability denial, plus how many other Abilities are going on in this deck, not sure if I want to add more that aren’t absolutely necessary.

Again though if your deck is better than mine, Imma do what you do. XD

Here is my very hit-or-miss list:

Pokémon x 20
1 Jirachi-EX
3 Nuzleaf (FLF)
2 Pikachu (XY)
2 Raichu (XY)
4 Seedot (FLF)
1 Shaymin-EX (ROS)
4 Shiftry (FLF)
2 Tropius (PLB)
1 Virizion-EX

Items x 10
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Level Ball (replace with third Ultra Ball)
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Rare Candy
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
2 VS Seeker

Supporters x 14
1 Colress
1 Lysandre
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card
4 N
1 Professor Oak’s New Theory (replace with fourth Sycamore)
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Skyla

Stadiums x 4
3 Sky Field
1 Training Center

Energy x 12
4 Double Colorless Energy
8 Grass Energy

Tropius is preferred opening meatshield, though Seedot can grab a replacement for itself and thankfully Pikachu can stall if it must. Virizion-EX can even sometimes be handy if I need to power up quickly with Basic Energy. I may cut the Shiftry line back to a 3-2-3 line. I only had a single Shaymin-EX (ROS version, anyway) when I built it, but in addition to my lucky trade locked FA version I got in an early ROS booster (yay!) I was able to trade for a second for 10 ROS boosters two days ago (yay!).

Energy Retrieval / Professor’s Letter is a good tag team, especially since I’m running Skyla. I’d like more of them but no room, plus I don’t want too many Items because Item lock. Level Ball / Ultra Ball are for search but I’ll probably replace Level Ball with a third Ultra Ball. Just one Rare Candy because, again, Item Lock (besides the non-Seismitoad-EX versions where I don’t have a Type advantage, hitting 'Toad for Weakness only matters with appropriate set-up). 1 Startling Megaphone because of Garbotoxin/all the more obscure decks where you really need to get rid of an opponent’s Tools. 1 Switch because that is what I have room for, two VS Seeker because that is what I have room for (and cutting out Supporters for more tends to backfire).

I think the Supporters and Energy are pretty straightforward.

I also want a deck that has a better shot at winning, plus this doubles as my Grass KO deck.

2 Likes

Like I said before this deck is very difficult to build. The one thing I see in your list that I question is the solo Rare Candy. I see the 3rd Nuzleaf and I understand the reasoning when facing a Toad deck, but Rare Candy and Stage 2’s just go together.

Also, if you haven’t tried Exeggcute PLF I highly recommend that. Exeggcute and Skyfield combo so well. You could even drop the Raichu line and go with Exeggcutor PLF. Supporter locking your opponent for a turn or two could really help in setting up more Shiftrys.

Thanks for weighing in themiraclemeat. Some of my responses to your suggestions will make it seem otherwise but I really do appreciate the help and did consider each thing you said.

Not since Seismitoad-EX became commonplace on the PTCGO. It is already awkward since the format punishes building a combo in hand; between N and Professor Juniper (Professor Sycamore) it can be hard to get Rare Candy plus Stage 2 in hand at the same time. I didn’t believe this either until I ran a deck where Rare Candy was bad for a different reason: Crobat (PHF). I found myself rarely missing Rare Candy there, and so with my other Stage 2 decks I tried a similar approach: one seems to be plenty. I might consider a second if I had room, but as I keep saying… I don’t. =P

If your experiences are running counter to this… okay. Let me read them! :smile:

[quote=“themiraclemeat, post:15, topic:3409”]
Also, if you haven’t tried Exeggcute PLF I highly recommend that. Exeggcute and Skyfield combo so well.[/quote]

I will consider it but

1. Deck Space

2. Bench space (I’d only have room when the deck basically fails)

3. Donk/bad starts even if I survive

4. Another Ability to lose

Exeggcutor (PLF) isn’t a Lightning-Type nor does it do more damage based on the amount of Pokémon in play, nor does it Retreat for free. So… none of the reasons I run Raichu would apply.

True, but I view Exeggutor (PLF) similar to how I view Seismitoad-EX. I want to play my opponent, not engage in solitaire. If I am playing in a tournament with high stakes, I will consider Exeggutor. If not, it really seems to run counter to the Spirit of the Game (“Hurry up and wait while I set-up to finish you off!”). I don’t enjoy locking people like that (well, the part of me that empathizes with others doesn’t) and if I was purely about getting my Grass-Type Evolving I’d be running a fake deck anyway and accepting losses.

Keep in mind, I gave other, less fussy reasons for not wanting to run it before I got all “Waah waah I hate lock!”. Actually I enjoy lock decks, but the format is at a point where they just seem “wrong”. We have so many fun “toys” available but most aren’t worth it because they can’t hang in the competitive format and then we take what little variety we have and crush it since right now, the most straightforward, “reliable” decks are the ones that can handle the lock.

1 Like

Do you think @themiraclemeat meant Taylor Swift?

Photo credit to thecharizardlounge

No, I meant Exeggcutor PLF (supporter blocker) originally, but you could try playing around with Taylor Swift in the deck too. Taylor Swift could be really helpful against the colorless Rayquaza EX deck.

1 Like

Im not 100% sure if this should be located here or in the Manectric EX/Mega-Manectric EX varients thread, however if someone could move this or let me know i’d be grateful.

However, to the point, this is my current deck, I’ve used it in my past 5 league meets, I love this decks speed and how it plays, but I feel like i could use some help from some experienced players, note I am from the UK so our meta is a little different from the USA’s :slight_smile: With this deck I usually place 2nd or 3rd, so i’m hoping for a 1st place with a little help from you guys!

Deck List:

Pokemon: x16

4 Seedot (FLF)
2 Nuzleaf (FLF)
3 Shiftry (FLF)
3 Manectric EX
2 Mega Manectric EX
1 Virizion EX
1 Shaymin EX (ROS)

Items: x16

3 Ultra Ball
3 Head Ringer
2 Muscle Band
2 Rare Candy
2 VS Seeker
2 Manectric Spirit Link
1 Tool Retriever
1 Switch

Supporters: x12

4 Professor Sycamore
2 Lysandre
2 N
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card
1 Colress
1 Wally
1 Skyla

Stadium: x2

2 Rough Seas

Energy x14

5 Electric Energy
8 Grass Energy
1 Double Colorless Energy

Mini Breakdown:

Virizion - Prevents andy status effects on any of my Pokemon and helps with energy acceleration.

Shiftry - Using Shiftry’s leaf draw to discard energy for Mega Manectric EX to pock back up later and to increase draw power while getting around the toad’s item lock. His attack also deals a fair amount of damage when used in the right situation.

Manectric EX - Needed for his mega and used in conjunction with the Head Ringers

Mega Manectric EX - Great for getting those energys back and attaching them straight to another Manectric or to power up a benched Shiftry.

Thank you for reading and ANY help or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated

1 Like

What are some decks that you normally face in the UK?

Here in the UK im still seeing a lot of fairy decks, my other half also uses a fairy deck. Yveltal and toad are seeing a lot of play, not much Flareon or Exeggutor however. Quite a bit of metal decks where I live too as well as a few donphan/lucario/medicham decks :).