Seismitoad-EX Variants // XY-on 2016

This is what I am running post rotation.

4x Seismitoad EX
2x Shaymin EX
2x Lugia EX
2x Raichu XY
3x Pikachu XY

4x Professor Sycamore
4x Shauna
1x Professor Birch’s Observations
1x Lysandre
1x AZ
1x Xerosic
2x Hex Maniac
1x Team Flare Grunt
3x Rough Seas
3x Switch
1x Head Ringer
4x VS Seeker
3x Ultra Ball
2x Crushing Hammer
2x Super Scoop-Up

4x DCE
6x Water Energy

Matchups I can think of from playing PTCGO which is where my testing so far has been limited to. Please feel free to mention matchups that are relevant that I have missed.

In general - This is going to rely more on getting grenade hammers later game using the item lock more as a setup. Putting damage counters on the Raichu’s/Toads to remove with seas. The damage output is going to be considerably less due to the cut of lasers but muscle bands can continue to give a boost.

Vileplume Variants - Hex Maniacs to break the locks to try and deal with attackers and use items. In this case it would be Lugia / Raichu doing the heavy lifting as Toad is usually at a disadvantage (unless it is the Girtania EX Variants in which he can continue to attack.

Vespiqueen Variants - This one is the roughest of the matchups. This will rely a lot on hammering out the energy and picking off queens with raichu as to not allow for a 2 for 1 that they are generally going for. Toad can still do some work if you get him to open and item lock slowing down the setup a turn to allow for a switch out to a raichu that was set up during the “free” turn or a lugia.

Skyquaza - Again, setup with toad / raichu takes advantage of weakness to 2 for 1 Raquazas. Pretty straight forward here.

Bronzong Variants - Plays pretty straight forward. Try and use hex maniacs / vs seekers to keep a lock on the Bronzong’s once they are set up.

Yveltal Variants - Again straight forward, item lock into KO’s with Raichu for weakness.

It has been doing well for me online, but as you can see you rely a lot on Raichu to minimize the 2 for 1 ing, expecially in the Grass matchups which are appearing to be much more prevalent in the new rotation. Toad becoming more of a stall to setup for the raichus and grenade hammers coming from the bench than as a go to attacker for the duration of the match.

Your trainer lineup should probably look like this:
4 Ultra Ball
4 Muscle Band
4 VS Seeker
2 Head Ringer
3 Switch
2 Enhanced Hammer

4 Professor Sycamore
3 Shauna
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Xerosic
1 Team Flare Grunt

2 Skyfield

This is the same count as your trainers.
Pokemon and energies stay the same.

1 Like

I’ve always preferred 3 Head Ringer…I’d also go 3-1 Birch:Shauna, Birch-tails, + ultra ball means I draw 4.

And then what? Die to anything that uses effects, no way I give up the Hex Maniacs, Skyfield vs rough seas is a judgement call. I find there are not enough mons in the deck to regularly need this. I also prefer to run 3 stadiums for stadium wars. The rest of the suggestions look solid to test tho.

How about no Hex Maniac and instead put in some Silent Labs instead O Skyfield. That could work.

I thought about that too. And that would be great if it shut off everything, but it doesn’t. Hex maniac stops Bats / Vileplume / etc and that is off the top of my head I am sure there are more.

Hex Maniac ruins consistency and bats and Vileplume aren’t a big deal. Against Vileplume you just don’t attack with toad and try to get everything else out as fast as possible.

1 Like

Have you played maniac? I cant see how it ruins consistency. If you don’t need it you ultra ball it, if you do you keep it.

It stuffs bats, and like I said, there are other things other than Vileplume out there. It is a solid card.

It depends I you play it really early game or late game…

If you play it turn 1 it completely stuffs any form of Shaymin set up that your opponent is trying to do. Then it is there the rest of the game to VS seeker up. You play it when you need it. Its a tech card nothing less.

1 Like

It also completely stuffs your shaymins and forces you to have the dce/muscle band in hand in order for you to do anything. if you don’t have it, hex manac is wasted.

How is that? you just don’t play it until you use your shaymin?

Its just a very versatile card, it doesn’t HAVE to be used in any specific situation. And if it is a dead card you discard it to U-ball / Professor.

It could be a personal choice sort of thing, but after playing with it you couldn’t rip them from my cold dead hands. They come into play more than they don’t.

Your deck your choice. If you want the Crazy Maniac in there, then take out a PBO.

Do you really feel that double ringer.is needed. I seem to feel that any time I want to use it, it is generally on a mega that already has a link on it. Also with how many cards can be drawn on an opening turn with shaymin/supporter, they always seem to have a band or something on their EX’s before you get a chance to ringer it. 1 seems fine for the occasional chance I get to use it but I was honestly thinking of cutting it, but I just couldn’t think of what for, was considering an enhanced hammer or something.

I also have not been feeling the AZ as much as usual, I find I end up using it most of the time during a setup with shaymin, and in that case it seems wasted when I could just have used another draw supporter.

If I were to cut the Rough Seas the only other option I would see using is Faded Town (or maybe the one that cuts bench damage). My problem is that in most matchups the rough seas are really good, then I hit a mega man deck and its like… well shit.

I might test out something like

-3 Rough Seas
+3 Faded Town

-1 AZ
-1 Head Ringer

+1 Pikachu XY
+1 Raichu XY

or

+1 Enhanced Hammer
+1 Crushing Hammer

Head ringer is very useful once you establish the lock. It can also be attached to Shaymin to prevent them from sky returning so you can lysandre it later. The changes you made are good except for -1 Head Ringer. Replace the AZ with a hammer though

Yeah I think I am going to try that tonight, there have been too many times seas has burned me. But there have been SO many times it was good.

Going to have to pick up some shiny faded towns tho. Gotta have that bling deck.

2 Likes

Robin Schulz used this list to take 2nd at a cities-like tournament in Germany:
3x Giratina EX FA
4x Seismitoad EX FA
1x Hoopa EX FA
3x Shaymin EX FA

Trainer (41)
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Professor Birch’s Observations FA
2x Xerosic FA
1x Hex Maniac
2x Team Flare Grunt
1x AZ FA
4x Crushing Hammer
4x VS Seeker
4x Ultra Ball
2x Lysandre FA
4x Super Scoop Up
1x Enhanced Hammer
1x Escape Rope
3x Faded Town
3x Muscle Band
3x Head Ringer

Energy (8)
4x Double Colorless Energy
4x Double Dragon Energy

1 Like

Has anyone considered using toad with empoleon bkt and archies? Toad lost power when he lost his damage with laserbank. So making him two shot ex would effectively bring his power back. Even better it would be raw power I stead of poison based. You could even use faded town to help two shot megas

I played against one of those in a cities finals and actually lost! It has a lot of potential but I have no idea how to build one properly considering that I never touched on Maxie or Archie in my life. Definitely test it out though because I’m pretty sure it could see some play later on.

3 Seismitoad
2 Empoelon
2 Shaymin Ex
1 Jirachi
2 Miltank (Miltank is amazing in the vespiquen and raichu matchup withe empoleons and muscle bands to hit 90)
1 Regice
2 Rough Seas
3 Professor Sycamore
2 Archie’s Ace in the Hole
1 Lysandre
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
1 AZ
1 Xerosic
3 Muscle Band
4 Ultra Ball
4 Vs Seeker
4 Crushing Hammer