Seismitoad-EX Variants // BCR-on

I’ve considered Tool Retriever, but I’m not sold yet - I just haven’t been able to think of a matchup in which I’d want to switch between Garbodor lock and Pyroar. VirGen and Plasma variants are walled hard by Pyroar, while opposing Pyroar is shut down by Garbodor and quickly handled by Seismitoad EX. I’d be working against my opponent’s Garbodor in Yveltal and Fighting decks, so I’d never have my own Garbotoxin to shut off. Fairybox is interesting and I’d need to see how that plays, I suppose.

If Tool Scrapper were still in rotation this would all be so simple - I’d run 2-3 and just drop my own Float Stone occasionally if necessary. At least there’s still Extended…

I don’t think Megaphone is all that important in this deck. Pyroar most useful vs Plasma and Genesect and neither run Garbodor. Besides, Quaking Punch should keep an opponent’s Tools off the field.

3 Likes

I still worry about Fighting/Garbodor decks. It seems strange that I’d be taking a lock/control deck into a slugfest with Toad/Mewtwo against Landy/Lucario even if the type advantage is firmly on my side. They do have Korrina to get around the item lock and their other boosts are in the form of a Stadium and Special Energy, as well. I wonder if another Lysandre would help here, or in general? I also completely forgot about Ghetsis in my list. Hm.

All of this is said without testing anything and I’ve been playing Plasma for a year so who knows. Mostly thinking out loud.

1 Like

Tried it a few more times this weekend … once I lose my item lock, this deck isn’t very good. If I’m looking for partner cards, I’d rather only have one or two of them to apply the coup de grace at the end of the game.

@JayHornung’s Big Basics list suffers from the same issues that I was having with Pyroar-as-partner … they both feel like eat too much space and are trying to be too many things at the same time. For example, most VirGen lists will lose horribly to Pyroar, but it was clearly a good metagame choice at Worlds this year … what if we just accept that we’re going to lose to VirGen if we play this and worry solely about improving our win percentages versus the rest of the field? If I stop stressing about a deep grass line, what else am I worried about? Is my biggest worry the mirror match?

Hey guys, my very first decklist, i have been testing this deck with great results. I’d like your opinion on it.

4 seismitoad EX
2-2 garbodor LTR
2 mewtwo EX
1 kyurem EX PLB
1 reshiram LTR

4 N
4 professor sycamore
2 skyla
2 colress
1 shauna
1 lysandre
4 roller skates
1 bicycle

4 muscle band
3 float stone
2 switch
1 dowsing machine ACE SPEC
4 ultra ball
4 hypnotoxic laser
2 virbank

4 double colorless
2 water energy
3 fire energy

I play one kyurem ex plb for outrage, almost always Okos landorus Ex with band or laser. Reshiram for virgen

Isn’t Seismitoad good enough vs Landorus already? Why break the lock to try and set up a KO with Kyurem?

I would either improve consistency or use a tech which helped a bad match up.

So maybe change the kyurem ex for another bike? Or colress?

This deck is similar to mine, with the exception of Reshiram LTR and Kyurem-EX PLB, I run a 2-2 line of Beartic FRF for Pyroar and what have you. Here’s the list I’ve been working on…

3 Seismitoad-EX
2 Mewtwo-EX
1 Jirachi-EX
2-2 Garbodor (Garbotoxin)
2-2 Beartic FRF
1 Reshiram LTR
( I did have 1 Druddigon FRF in here but I have since dropped it for a 4th Ultra Ball)

4 Ultra Ball
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Prof. Letter
3 Hypnotoxic Lasers
2 Virbank City Gym
3 Float Stone
4 Muscle Band
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
1 Shauna
1 Colress
1 Lysandre
Ace Spec: Dowsing Machine

4 DCE
6 Water

The addition of Beartic is a recent one and I still have much playtesting to be done, but I will also try a 2-1/1 DrifblimPLB/Drifblim(Shadow Steal) and raise the enhanced hammer count to also deal with Pyroar and create more of a lock for your opponent.

Enhanced Hammer are rotated out for now.

Will most likely be back soon (there’s a JPN Promo).

I keep forgetting because of the promo in Japan, lol, I just added a Colress for more draw support since my supporter line was a little light.

From your list, @Muliwashere, I think you should take out the Reshiram for a 4th HTL. Reshiram seems kinda pointless other than hitting Grass for weakness, but they won’t be so kinda as to place damage counters on it for you so you won’t be able to get any more than 80 damage off an Outrage (that’s including Muscle Band) unless they misplay.

Do you think the deck has a good matchup as is against Virgen or any ideas for it?

I might play shadow circle, yveltal xy and dark energy just a wild idea

A deck that’s sole plan is to use Seismitoad EX for attacking will have a bad time VirGen because Virizion hits for weakness and so does Genesect. So it’s pretty much an auto loss if their opening hand is Virizion EX, Genesect EX, 2 Grass Energy going first. Even though you can item lock them if they go first, if they have those 4 cards they pretty much win the game, and there’s not much you can do about it. I suppose if you really, really hated it you could play Victini EX and Victory Piece.

I’ve been playing the deck as toad/landorus/mewtwo garbodor with pretty good results. I think toad is really good in some matchups and lackluster in others. The landorus/mewtwo allows you to outplay a virgen player if things don’t go 100% for them.

Don’t agree that Mewtwo/Landorus will allow you to “outplay” them.

1 Like

I second this. If that were true Big Basics would have a favorable matchup against VirGen.

I guess I’ll third it.

Hammerhead’s damage output isn’t great vs non-Weak EX Pokemon . . . even with Band and Strong Energy. Mewtwo has issues with Genesect discarding for G Booster and in any case needs a fair amount of Energy to OHKO. If they can shut down Garbodor, the match up becomes near-impossible.

When it comes to Genesect, you either accept the poor match up and go for consistency vs everything else, or you use a tech that will actually work. All this half-arsed stuff with Reshiram etc is a waste of space.

Honestly I think You just kind of have to accept the bad match up VS Grass. I’f say if you run any tech pokemon, run a Jircahi EX to get supporters or if you don’t, thicken your consistency with a few of your trainer lines.

Jirachi is far to situational with garbo to consider as a tech card to thicken up your lines.

I’ve been testing Yveltal and big basics builds, lando/mewtwo/fif lando/frog/garbo is by far the most aggressive build, if you play it well enough your matchups across the board are fairly 50/50 as each card in a sense covers each owns weakness in a way and the lock sustains powerful shut down periods against your opponent buying time to shut them down.