3 Virbank City Gym
1 Sacred Ash
1 Dowsing Machine
Total Trainer-37

Energy
4 DCE
6 Water
Total Energy-10

The Strategy is to set up a lock with Seismatoad EX and Garbodor and to increase damage with muscle band and hypnotoxic laser. Flareon is a counter to VirGen and Mewtwo EX is a counter to Mewtwo EX and to deal fast quick damage.

1-1 Beartic isn’t really worthwhile. It’s not enough to beat a decent Pyroar line, and you have Garbodor anyway (which is very difficult for them to deal with under Item lock).

Likewise, I’m not convinced that relying on Reshiram’s Outrage will make much difference vs Genesect. Once you push it active, you break the Item lock, and they can OHKO with Megalo Cannon + LaserBank.

I would drop both and either find a better tech or focus on making this list better (4th Laser, more Lysandre etc)

2 Likes

I would say to definitely take away the Beartic line for 2 Mewtwo EX. Great attacker when you don’t have the Toad going, and against Fighting decks, they will either turn to Lucario EX or Mewtwo EX because you hit Landy for Weakness- which are both Weak to Mewtwo EX.

1 Like

Thanks Mewtwo EX should be good to deal more damage and speed up games since the deck is really slow.

The Reshiram isn’t really worth it, just to beat Virizion/Genesect. You lose Item lock once you send it up, and it gets KO’d very easily. I’d replace it with Dedenne.

Dedenne is good as a counter against Yveltal EX but besides Reshiram what other fire pokemon run on Colorless Energy?

Flareon PLF. great late-game attacker.

1 Like

Thanks at first I thought there wasn’t enough Pokémon to power up Flareon’s Vengeance but now that I think about it makes sense.

I agree that Reshiram may hurt his consistency of item locking the oponent, maybe too much. But even if you consider Megalo Cannon with Virbank City Gym, Reshiram is a excellent counter to Vir/Gen. If you consider that you need just a Reshiram and DCE to hit in comparison with the energy needed in Genesect, plus a Virbank and plus a Hypnotoxic Laser.

Maybe he wont win game 1, because of not knowing that he was against a Vir/Gen deck. But if he knows and just focus on streaming Reshirams, it might make the match much more winnable.

I dont know if this will guarantee a win (probably not) and how much this will hurt against other matchups, but I think if VirGen becomes huge in BCR-On. He will have only two options, running some Reshirams or not running the deck at all.

i think that in this case it is better to run 2 Reshiram instead of a 1-1 Flareon line. Much more easy to stream and it will be two pokemon, so less chance of it being in prize.

Another take would it to run a few Silver Mirrors to hold up Megalo Cannon and Plasma Variants. It just dont solve Virizion problem though.

1 Like

Why not run Pyroar?

It destroys Vir/Gen
You can choose not to play Garby and/or use Tool Retriever
You don’t need Water Energy to play Toad

Pokemon
3 Seismitoad EX
3 Trubbish LTR
3 Garbodor LTR
2 Reshiram LTR
2 Mewtwo EX
Total Pokemon-13

Trainer
4 Prof. Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Colress
1 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Ultra Ball
2 Switch
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Starling Megaphone
3 Muscle Band
3 Float Stone
1 Town Map
3 Virbank City Gym
1 Sacred Ash
1 Dowsing Machine
Total Trainer-37

Energy
4 DCE
5 Water
Total Energy-9

This is my new updated decklist. I Got rid of the Flareon line and readded the two Reshiram, and removed 1 water while adding a forth hypnotoxiclaser.

I haven’t played a game in months.

Got some cards today, so I gave Toad a quick test (vs Lucario/Mewtwo).

Toad is stupidly good. T2 Item lock, and anyone who thinks the damage output isn’t sufficient is nuts.

7 Likes

I’ve been testing this list:

Pokemon: 10
4 Seismitoad EX
2-2 Garbodor
2 Yveltal EX

Supporters: 10
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
1 Lysandre
1 Ghetsis

Trainers: 32
4 Random Receiver
4 Ultra Ball
4 Crushing Hammer
3 Pokemom Catcher
3 Muscle Band
3 Float Stone
2 Super Scoop Up
1 Professors Letter
1 Switch
1 Dowsing Machine

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 8
4 DCE
4 Dark

Yveltal is an awesome partner so far, and being able to Y Cyclone to a Toad is useful. This version would probably get destroyed in mirror - I was considering opting for Team Flare Grunt, Pokemon Fan Club, and a high Lysandre count with a Bicycle/Roller Skates engine to help with this, but I don’t know that it would be much better.

Tried out Pyroar … you have to devote a lot of space to make it work. And it depends on how fat a Pyroar line you intend on running – I’ve found Vir/Gen fairly competent at getting through a 2 Pyroar tech line.

If the goal is to swing the matchup a bit towards Seismitoad/Garbodor (if you’re expecting Vir/Gen to be a heavy part of your local meta), I’d rather run 2 Charizard EX FLF-12 instead of 2 Reshiram LTR as a Vir/Gen counter.

I think reshiram is better becuse it wins the prize trade and it only needs 1 DCE to use outrage.

I’m not even sure that Reshi works against a player who knows their stuff. They won’t attack into it if they can’t OHKO, leaving you doing 40 damage (80 if you Band, I guess). The OHKO isn’t exactly hard to achieve (Raichu or Genesect + LaserBank will do it), and they do have other options. Once you’ve broken the Trainer lock to push Reshi active, they can Megaphone Garbodor and Red Signal, for example.

Yeah I guess your right I could change the water in fire to make it so you can use blue flare I was thinking about a 1-1 line of the promo flareon. It’s second attack does 60 for RCC and +30 if you discard a fire. You could also use the new eevees ability before gorbotoxin activates to evolve it too.

I’m very interested in this going into next season. I have a rough list put together (no testing, don’t even have the cards yet) that I’d like some feedback on:

Pokemon (15)
3 Seismitoad EX
3-3 Pyroar
2-2 Garbodor
2 Mewtwo EX

Trainers (36)
4 Juniper
4 N
2 Colress
2 Skyla
2 Lysandre

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
4 Ultra Ball
3 Muscle Band
3 Float Stone
2 Startling Megaphone
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Computer Search

2 Virbank City Gym

Energy (9)
5 Fire Energy
4 Double Colorless

I like parts of this in theory, but I would still like to fit a few more cards in somewhere (namely a Professor’s Letter and maybe another Tool). I might think about dropping a Switch/Rope given that Float Stone is there, but I like the utility of not needing to block myself from attaching a Muscle Band. I’m also not 100% sure on 2x Mewtwo EX and would want to test just running one along with something else, but I don’t know what I’d use. I think this could even be solid in Extended, although I don’t have any experience with pre-NXD rotations.

2 Likes

I would try to find room to fit in a tool retriever or two so you can use pyroar’s ability. Maybe -1 ultra ball and -1 switch and +2 tool retriever. Very good list by the way!