"Sablelock" -- Sableye SF, Garchomp C LV.X // DP-on

This was a big secret deck throughout 2010, invented by Stephen Silvestro, and worked on by a number of top players, notably Florida players. It won several events throughout States and Regionals before winning U.S. Nationals 2010, played by Con Le. This is the Nationals-winning list.

—Pokemon (19)—
4 Sableye SF
2 Garchomp C SV
2 Garchomp C LV.X SV
2 Uxie LA
1 Uxie LV.X LA
1 Murkrow SW
1 Honchkrow SV
1 Honchkrow G PL
1 Toxicroak G Promo
2 Crobat G PL
1 Unown Q MD
1 Azelf LA

—T/S/S (29)—
4 Cyrus’s Conspiracy
2 Pokémon Collector
2 Cyrus’s Initiative
2 Judge
1 Bebe’s Search
1 Felicity’s Drawing
1 Aaron’s Collection

4 TGI G-103 Power Spray
4 TGI G-105 Poké Turn
3 TGI G-101 Energy Gain
3 TGI G-109 SP Radar
1 Premier Ball
1 VS. Seeker

—Energy (12)—
4 Darkness Energy [special]
4 Double Colorless Energy
2 Darkness Energy [basic]
2 Psychic Energy

The primary strength of the deck is Sableye’s ability to donk. Powered by a Special Darkness Energy, its Overconfident attack is able to OHKO a number of common Pokémon, including Hoppip, Magikarp, Unown G, Unown Q, and Gastly. This allows Sablelock to usually get a cheap win or two per tournament, and failing the donk, Overconfident still enables the deck to take a couple cheap prizes while other decks are setting up. The other defining aspect of the deck is its disruption. Cyrus’s Initiative and Judge both have the power to greatly restrict the opponent’s options, and due to Sableye’s Overeager Poké-Body (allowing the player starting with Sableye to go first) and its Impersonate attack (using any Supporter from the deck), these Supporters can come into play before the opponent even draws their first card. A lot of games can be stolen just by a key Initiative stripping the opponent’s hand of their Pokémon Collector.

Garchomp C is a key attacker, using its Dragon Rush to snipe Pokémon on the Bench, either taking cheap prizes, or disrupting the opponent’s setup. Honchkrow SV has great synergy with Dragon Rush, since its Darkness Restore Poké-Power allows you to return discarded Pokémon to the opponent’s Bench, setting up more easy knockouts for Garchomp C. The Power has trickier uses too. Clogging up an opponent’s Bench is always useful, and Darkness Restore can be used to return Pokémon like Uxie LA and Crobat G to the bench, depriving the opponent of the ability to return them to the deck (via Night Maintenance or Palmer’s Contribution) and reuse their Poké-Powers. It’s also very strong against Gyarados, returning Magikarp to the field and cutting Gyarados’ power.

The deck makes use of the SP Engine. The most notable aspect is the fourth copy of Power Spray, which is key to slow the opponent’s setup. The single copy of Felicity’s Drawing is there to give the deck some extra draw power, and it’s useful for discarding extra copies of Sableye as the game draws on.

Some variants of the deck ran cards like Giratina PL 9 and Chatot G to further restrict the opponent’s access to cards, and Blaziken FB LV.X saw some niche play as well.

my SableLock list!

Pokémon: 21
4 Sableye SF
2 Garchomp C
2 Garchomp C Level X
1 Absol G
1 Absol G Level X
1 Honchkrow G
1 Azelf LA
1 Murkrow SW
1 Honchkrow SV
1 Honchkrow Level X [You can get back Poké turns and the like by killing something with it’s second attack]
1 Uxie Level X LA
2 Uxie LA
1 Unown Q MD
2 Crobat G PL

Trainers: 27
4 Cyrus’s Conspiracy
2 Cyrus’s Initiative
2 Judge
1 Felicity’s Drawing
1 Bebe’s Search
1 Aaron’s Collection
2 Pokemon Collector
1 Premier Ball
2 SP Radar
3 Energy Gain
4 of the monstrosity known only as Power Spray
4 Poke turn

Energy: 12
4 DCE
4 Special Dark
2 Basic Dark
2 Basic Psychic

Looking back, I’m pretty sure I played blaziken, and it worked very well.

Wasn’t there a first turn donk list that made the format rotate out early in 2011? Anyone have a list?

I believe that’s referring to Sabledonk, which ran amok in the MD-BW format, thanks to unintended consequences of two rulesets that were never meant to mash, clashing. There’s an interesting playthough demonstrating how powerful Sabledonk is on Jwittz’s YouTube channel, and you could get the list off of there easily.

This is the video you’re referring to.

I know that Blaziken and chatot in this deck is technically “ChenLock” but can anyone tell me how you beat LuxChomp with that? Luring flame does nothing to poke turn lol

Also, tcgplayer says conspiracy’s are $1.23 market price but no store that has them on there are selling anything lightly played or better under $5.00. Where can I find them? (Maybe @Flygonite14 and @JStensrud could help me out…?)

Yeah, Luring Flame isn’t great against Luxchomp in general. Your gameplan against them is to try to kill their hand early with Sableye and keep them from getting back in the game with Power Spray. If they do get set up, you’re at a disadvantage because they have more viable attackers than you. Your best bet in that matchup is to run a 3-1 Garchomp line and try to aggressively initiate Garchomp wars. If you can keep them from getting their own Garchomp running through aggressive Dragon Rush, you can steal games even if they get set up.

And I’d assume that this is also the game plan for the normal sablock?