Pyroar FLF Variants // BCR-on

I see, i didn’t spot the 4 lysandre

For now I’ve actually subbed out Battle City for Pokemon Center (my opponent bench will be too targeted to use it properly) and Level Ball for sacred ash and an N

List:
4-3 pyroar
2 mewtwo ex
1 cobalion LTR

4 juniper
2 N
2 Shauna
4 lysandre
2 blacksmith
3 bicycle
3 fiery torch
1 roller skates
3 pokemon catcher
4 ultra ball
1 professors letter
3 switch
1 computer search
3 muscle band

8 fire
4 dce
1 rainbow
1 metal

I have cobalion in the deck for beartic, it helps a lot. The 4 lysandre and 3 catcher are for garbodor and other stage 1’s. The deck is built around trying to make pyroar untouchable. Any help for the deck would be awesome!

I don’t think you need 4 Lysandre AND 3 Catcher. Either play just the Lysandre or play 2 Lysandre and 4 Catcher.

Colress is better than Shauna.

You want 4 Blacksmith or 3 and a Pal Pad. It’s that important.

I don’t think Cobalion is worth the space. Charizard EX (Combustion Blast) OHKOs most Pyroar threats and works well with Blacksmith. You also don’t need Metal or Rainbow energy to fuel it.

Roller Skates and Bicycle are better than Fiery Torch. I would max out both before playing any Fiery Torches.

Add in a 4th Pyroar. 4-4 Pyroar is REALLY difficult for most people to deal with.

If you are having trouble with Beartic, just Lysandre the Cubchoos active and deal with them before they become Beartics. If you can’t, be prepared to drop a Charizard/DCE/Blacksmith Combo to OHKO Beartic.

Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

I have been testing Pyroar variants in the new format, and I’m not feeling super confident about it right now. With pyroar seismitoad I have more faith in my non-basic matchups, but against fighting and genesect/verizion it just seems like seismitoad gets in my way. Especially because they only have 1-2 counters to pyroar, trying to delay is helping your opponent as much as helping you. Have any of you guys had a chance to test pyroar in the new format?

I have.

Seismitoad isn’t too bad if you can keep Garbodor out of play. (I play 4 Lysandre) Basically, you stall until you draw into energy and KO Seismitoad. I’d say that I win more than half of my Seismitoad matchups.

Landorus/Lucario isn’t too bad either assuming you can get a turn 2 Pyroar. How you handle it depends on what their Pyroar counter is. If they play M-Lucario-EX, then Mewtwo+Muscle Band+DCE ruins their day. If they play Garbodor, then Lysandre it up.

VirGen is basically an auto win. Occasionally they run Beartic. I just Lysandre up Cubchoos and deal with them before they become Beartics. If Beartic comes out, Lysandre around it or Charizard/Mewtwo. Heck, go toe to toe with it. They generally only play a 2-2 line of it. (You should be playing a 4-4 Pyroar Line and I HIGHLY recommend a Sacred Ash so you can get 6-6 Pyroar)

The deck I have trouble with is Donphan. Donphan can’t be OHKOed by Pyroar and hits pretty hard itself. Your only hope is to Lysandre out as many Phanpys as you can before they become Donphans.

P.S. I don’t run Seismitoad in my Pyroar deck. My evolution counters are Mewtwo and Charizard. If you want to play Seismitoad, you need to play a Seismitoad deck. Seismitoad is only good because of the item lock. If you only attack with it occasionally, it’s just a minor nuisance.

You you mind sending me you decklist? Just so I can compare it to my list and see what differences we have. I run something similar but I have some troubles here and there with a few of those matchups.

It’s the same list that I posted earlier in this thread. Post # 17

kk thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Minimal draw supporters. Now, that’s what I’m talking about! I may end up eating these words, but I am detecting a shift in the metagame back to the old school Pokémon. Back to the days when we did not even know that the word, “Metagame” existed! Four Lysandre (Gust of WInd), add several Team Flare Grunts (Energy Removal), and a Pal Pad. Can’t wait to see Super Energy Removal and Recycle Energy come back! LOL.

I have spent so much money on a format compliant Fighting deck that I feel that I have little choice but to run HEAVY Lysandre and Team Flare Grunts to make sure that Mewtwo EX and Seismitoad are kept at my mercy instead of vice versa!

My no-flip Pyroar list

Pokemon: 10
4-4 Pyroar
1 Mewtwo EX
1 Reshiram EX

Trainers: 38
4 N
4 Professor Juniper
3 Blacksmith
3 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club

3 Bike
4 Switch
2 Evosoda
3 Ultra Ball
3 Fiery Torch
2 Startling Megaphone
1 Scramble Switch

3 Muscle Band

2 Mountain Ring

Energy: 12
4 DCE
8 Fire

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a 1-1 line of Forretress FLF to deal with Beartic, I’d probably drop 1 Switch and 1 Juniper.

I have some questions:
-4-4 pyroar should be able to cope with a 2-2 Beartic line
-why reshiram EX? why not Charizard?
-why evosoda instead of an ultra ball/bike?
-why fiery tourch? It’s not a very good card in general, especially when you don’t run a lot of energy for a card that discards to deal more damage.
-why no catcher? You’re at high danger from things like Beartic if you can’t kill cubchoos…
-Say no to scramble switch. It’s tempting, but Comp. Search is so much better, especially when you need a DCE.

Some choices were just made because of the cards I have on hand, I don’t have a Charizard EX and Reshiram EX is comparable. Fiery torch is a substitute for Roller Skates and it gets energy into the discard which can then be attached with Blacksmith. I’m not running any Catchers, see the first line of my post, the goal of this list is to find a consistent Pyroar deck that doesn’t rely on flips. Scramble Search and Scoop Up Cyclone are the only Ace Specs I have on hand atm.

Okay I get that you may/may not have certain cards (I especially know that feeling not being from money) so that’s fine. The main problem is that if you loose flips and go for consistency, your counters become a lot more powerful. In my eyes, all pyroar decks are about risks and luck. You just kinda have to pray and hope the stars align.

Anyone ever try going quad Pyroar with no energy and just focus on control/disruption?

To be honest, I don’t think that would work as a simple 1-1 anything line would destroy your deck. Plus, pyroar needs a lot of draw power to get running so yo could possibly even run the risk of decking yourself out.

Hi everyone, i am trying to run a list with a little more charizard and laserbank. I think it doesn’t has the necesary consistency but i am near getting it. I open to sugestions and othe stuff.
This used to run with tropical beach. I added the virbanks after the rotation. My english is kind of rough so i apologize for that.
Pokemon
3 Litleo
3 Pyroar
3 Charizard Ex (combustion blast)
1 Mewtwo Ex
1 Keldeo Ex
Energys
7 Fire
4 DCE
Trainer Cards
4 N
1 Colress
4 Professor Juniper
2 Lysandre
2 Blacksmith
1 Dowsing Machine
3 Bicycle
2 Pokémon Catcher
1 Starling Megaphone
1 Pal Pad
1 Sacred Ash
2 Virbank
4 Ultra Ball
3 Muscle Band
2 Float Stone
1 Switch
3 Hypnotoxic Laser
1 Escape Rope

I worry about this deck in this new format. I know heavy-catcher effect is good, but I don’t think it’s enough to stop an onslaught of Toad and Garbodor. Furthermore, VG has a much better ‘counter’ in Beartic than it did in Raichu.

Anything can always win in the right meta, but I am wary regardless.

oh crap. That’s bad news. I was hoping that this could have a good place in the current meta, well I will have to go to my original idea of playing

I have serious doubts about a 2-2 Beartic line being able to deal with a full-on Pyroar deck.

2 Likes