Primal Groudon-EX Variants // BCR-on

Toad in other stuff isn’t relevant though, because primal Groudon doesn’t have the 80-20 matchup against those decks. He has it against dedicated toad (besides toad bats and toad Crawdaunt) and especially toad Shaymin.

2 Likes

XY Magcargo is played in Primal Groudon for VG, but it’s usually for expanded lol

Except it is because of how you worded it. Instead of “Now that Seismitoad/Shaymin decks aren’t going to be 1/3 of the competitive metagame we lost the main reason to run a Primal Groudon-EX/Wobbuffet deck.”

If there is a simpler way to say it… that is fine as well so long as the meaning is preserved. You’ve made a comment that I couldn’t take at face value which means I’m going to be less trusting of future comments. Not untrusting, just less than I would have been. :wink:

Be so if you wish. I feel like I’m reading the mets correctly. Toad isn’t off my radar, but the variants that PG has a near autowin against are, for the most part. I feel like I’m reading the mets correctly, and come nationals, looking at my finish, we’ll see if that holds true.

Oh. I meant literally Macargo (not the Omega Barrier) and friends (random fire types) is what I faced.

1 Like

I moved 12 posts to an existing topic: Seismitoad-EX Variants // BCR-on

Look at the name of this thread.

Consider recent conversation.

See a problem?

I’ll see about moving posts tonight, but at this point, find the Toad thread, guys.

8 Likes

So I recently read an article that discussed an interesting take on Primal Groudon-EX that plays Wobbuffet and Primal Groudon-EX as the only Pokémon, utilizing Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick to get Groudon on the bench. I tested out the list, but the list given was too inconvenient against certain decks or in certain situations. As such, I made my own spin on the list to give it a little more versatility, consistency, and, in my opinion, viability. What do you guys think?

Pokémon: (8)
4 Wobbuffet PHF
3 Primal Groudon-EX
1 Cobalion-EX

Supporter: (40)
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick
2 Shauna (yes, I know, but I want to control my draws in the early turns)
2 Lysandre
4 VS Seeker

4 Trainer’s Mail
4 Robo Substitute
3 Ultra Ball
3 Mega Turbo
2 Battle Compressor
2 Acro Bike
2 Float Stone
1 Muscle Band
1 Trick Shovel
1 Computer Search

2 Fighting Stadium
1 Dimension Valley

Energy: (12)
6 Fighting Energy
3 Strong Energy
2 Mystery Energy
1 Rainbow Energy

The best way to play this deck is with 4 Wobbuffett, 2 Groudon-EX, 3 Primal Groudon-EX and A Maxie. Also, mystery energy is pointless because you should never need to set up Groudon-EX KOs. You should play 2 Switching cards to get Wobuffet out of the active spot, because more often than not, you just let it die while you set up primal Groudon

2 Likes

Most Groudon decks run:
3 Scorched Earth
2 Silent Lab
1 Fighting Stadium

Dimension Valley has no purpose when you can barely attack with Wobbufett because the point of the deck is to one-shot everything. Not rack up damage and use Wobbufett as a second attacker.

4 Likes

Most Groudon decks don’t play fighting stadium. Either a 4th scorched earth or a shrine of memories.

Shrine of Memories or Fighting Stadium. It doesn’t matter, but some people use fighting stadium for the MegaRay/Primals matchup.

Neither of those matchups are tough… You typically set up 2 primals per game, which need 2 strong energy each to OHKO other primals and Ray.

Made some heavy updates to the list, I think this version is a bit better:

Pokémon: (9)
4 Wobbuffet PHF
2 Groudon-EX PRC
3 Primal Groudon-EX PRC

Trainers: (40)
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Professor Birch’s Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick

4 VS Seeker
4 Mega Turbo
4 Robo Substitute
3 Ultra Ball
3 Trainers’ Mail
2 Switch
2 Float Stone
2 Red Orb (Groudon Spirit Link)
1 Battle Compressor
1 Dowsing Machine

3 Scorched Earth
2 Silent Lab

Energy: (11)
7 Fighting
4 Strong

I’ve tested this list out against many a deck, and even won a few PTCGO tournaments, but if anything could be changed in the list, feel free to let me know!

No korrina also how successful has Maxie’s been?

I run Maxie and an extra Primal Groudon for the option to go straight to the Primal to not have to have an Ω Barrier-less base stage.

6 Draw supporters seems weak…have you had issues w/ dead drawing?

I don’t really have many dead draws. Between Battle Compressor, VS Seeker, and Trainers’ Mail, I can get a draw supporter 95% of the time.

I don’t really see this as a Fighting deck, but rather a deck solely centered around Primal Groudon-EX wreaking havoc on the opponent while getting rid of unwanted stadiums. I do understand how Korrina can prove useful in the deck, but at the same time I don’t really think the deck would do much worse without it. I can, however, see myself cutting a Wobbuffet in place of a Korrina, if you really wish for me to make such a change.

In regards to your last point, I run two strategies so that in case one of them is made ineffective in the current matchup, due to things such as Item lock, Supporter lock, or having all base Groudon-EX prized or in the discard pile, I can resort to the other method in setting up a Primal Groudon, and the overall strategy of the deck remains virtually intact. And, in some cases, I can resort to both strategies, setting up one Primal Groudon through Maxie and evolving a second Groudon with the help of the Spirit Link, to have two attackers from which to choose.

Also, this is just a side note, but I would greatly appreciate it if the person providing feedback could write more than just one sentence.

I’d just like to say that you honestly make yourself look like the dumb one here. If he’s apparently so stupid, don’t stoop to his level. I commend you for the methodical reply in the remainder of the post, however.

Mudslinging will not be tolerated. I’d advise that it cease.

6 Likes