2 Professor’s Letter
1 Battle Compressor
3 VS Seeker
1 Max Potion
1 Tool Retriever
3 Groudon Spirit Link
4 Scorched Earth

Strategy:
Scorched Earth sends Fighting Energy to the discard pile. Landorus powers up Benched Primal Groudon-EX (which is immune to the opponent’s Catchers and Hammers thanks to Omega Barrier) with its Shout of Power attack. A heavy line of Lysandre grabs out potential threats to Primal Groudon-EX consecutively once the latter is ready to slaughter. Scramble Switch substitutes a healthy Primal Groudon-EX for a damaged one, reserving Energy.

4 Likes

Assuming the timing works… what about Silent Lab? That way Primal Groudon-EX (or if you must, regular Groudon-EX) can smash through Safeguard Pokémon. It also conveniently shuts down Abilities on Darkrai-EX, Genesect-EX, Jirachi-EX, Keldeo-EX and Virizion-EX (last one doesn’t likely matter).

You still want Scorched Earth, but as you’re discarding Stadiums and your opponent might counter your Stadiums (costing you potential attacks) as you’re using your own for set-up, five total Stadiums (with a 3/2 split between Scorched Earth and Silent Lab) might be worth it.

4 Likes

I’ll second the Silent Lab recommendation. You want to stop Red Signal on Groudon.

I would not rely so heavily on Korrina for Pokemon Search. It’s a nice card, but not fun if you are forced to play it over Juniper or N just because you need a Pokemon.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Okay, I will try out Silent Lab. Should I include a copy of Skyla for better management of Stadium cards?

Hmm… By running neither Silent Lab nor Weakness Policy, I was actually accepting auto losses against Genesect-EX… Now that I use Silent Lab, should I run Weakness Policy as well?

1 Like

Seeing as you have Tool Retriever, you could try one.

3 Likes

The problem with Weakness Policy is it that G-Booster will still OHKO Primal Groudon. I still think it could be valuable as it at least forces a G-Booster or 2 Megalo Cannons (with help).

Rock Guard and Life Dew can be pretty nifty with Tool Retrieval. Rock Guard can allow for Primal Groudon to KO an EX without a stadium and Life Dew makes a 240HP Pokemon worth just one prize.

I guess you make the decision to either take the autoloss and hope to avoid Vir/Gen, or do things properly and run Silent Lab/Weakness Policy/Spiritomb.

3 Likes

If you are goings to tech for VirGen, perhaps Jamming Net and Head Ringer? I suppose a lot of VirGen builds have tool retriever or Xerosic now, but they are useful for a few other matchups, and so easy to find with Korinna.

1 Like

Pokemon 10
2 Manetric EX
2 Mega Manetric EX
2 Groudon EX
2 Primal Groudon EX
1 Landorus EX
1 Terrakion (Bounderies)

Supporters 17
4 Korrina
4 Juniper
3 N
2 Lysandre
2 Skyla
1 Teammates
1 Maxies Hidden Ball Trick

Items-15
2 Manetric Spirit Link
2 Groudon Spirit Link
2 Switch
2 Professors Letter
2 VS Seeker
2 Ultra Ball
1 Computer Search (Dowsing Machine)

Stadiums-5
2 Slient Lab
2 Scorched Earth
1 Fighting Stadium

Energy-14
4 Strong
7 Fighting
3 Electric

Right first of all this is my first ever post on any forum of all time! So be kind…please :stuck_out_tongue:
So if this post is in the wrong thread or what not or if I’m braking some unwritten rule of forums I’m probably ignorant to it and I apologise in advance!

Anyways the deck idea is to use scorched earth to get fighting in the discard and use mega manetric to slap them back onto our primal Groudon onto the bench. I Would play the bench real small so nothing can be lysandre bait (hence no colress) then when groudon is powered up retreat and start slapping things around!

I have a few silent lab to stop safeguard and fighting stadium encase I run into any other megas but hopefully between strong energies and said stadium we should be able to ohko still.

For the Vir/Sect match up I’m considering running a Reshiram or Charizard EX to tech against it but as long as manetric gets a turbo bolt of they will be set up for a retaliate from terrakion or an immediate gaia volcano.

I’m considering running a shine of memories to finish off pokemon that don’t require a full gaia volcano would love some thoughts on that. I’m thinking between strong energies (that cant be hammered off) massive rend might not be too bad (especially for finishing off non ex attackers) but yeah would appreciate some opinions on that.

Also considering running a mega Lucario for early game ultra ball fodder and maybe a late game surprise attacker. (especially if it can catch a turbo bolt) Might sound gimmicky but my main deck is a fist variant and I find myself with low hand sizes often cause Korrina is so efficient is keeping the deck running so raw hand size isn’t really an issue so a ball trick isn’t out of the question.

Apart from that would love some feedback!

Thanks Guys!

3 Likes

So has anybody been play testing this deck and If so how is it goin? I haven’t played it, but from the outside looking in It seems kinda slow to set up. When it does set up it looks like it could wreck some havoc

I have been using Victini-EX to accelerate Energy attachment and counter Grass variants. It looks extremely promising. Here is my list:

Pokemon: 11
4 Victini-EX
3 Groudon-EX
2 Primal Groudon-EX
1 Jirachi-EX
1 Hawlucha FFI

Energy: 13
3 Fire Energy
6 Fighting Energy
4 Strong Energy

Trainer: 36 (15 + 16 + 5)
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
1 Skyla
2 Lysandre
3 Korrina
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card
1 Victory Piece
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
4 Ultra Ball
2 Professor’s Letter
3 VS Seeker
1 Tool Retriever
2 Groudon Spirit Link
3 Silent Lab
2 Fighting Stadium

4 Likes

Hmm, never thought about using Primal Groudon this way. This looks good, let me know how testing goes!

Interesting. I actually had to talk someone out of trying a similar build for Primal Kyogre-EX but there’s a huge difference due setting up something for all-but-guaranteed OHKOs versus probable OHKOs and spread as well as the Ancient Traits.

I have just tested that and successfully worked out Turn-2 Tidal Storm. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Not sure if it is as consistent as Victini-EX / Primal Groudon-EX though. Being forced to move Water Energy from Primal Kyogre-EX to Victini-EX is not fun.

Where my opponent wanted to test it out specifically against a VirGen deck. Now keep in mind, I’ve made two VirGen decks on the PTCGO and I’m not sure if either of them has a win except against the computer and against… Victini-EX / Primal Kyogre-EX. The big problem was that neither Primal Kyogre-EX nor Victini-EX are safe on the Bench. Granted, if Silent Lab isn’t in play then Red Signal can also promote a Primal Groudon-EX, but the end result was my opponent having to choose between readying Victini-EX or Primal Kyogre-EX. Some of this could just be due to a bad list or plays on my opponent’s part but…

…this is kind of a recurring theme with Victini-EX. Someone popularizes it in a deck only for it to be abandoned as soon as everyone realizes where to focus to thwart the strategy. For one thing, there is the question of how it does against everything other than VirGen; Victini-EX is small enough that attackers like Reshiram and Heatran can OHKO it without boosting (and with boosting, use their less expensive attacks). Seismitoad-EX needs its full Virbank City Gym / Hypnotoxic Laser / Muscle Band compliment but when it has it, its OHKOing Victini-EX.

The reason I’m entertaining the thought with Primal Groundon-EX is because almost anything that KOs Victini-EX can then in turn be OHKOed by Primal Groudon-EX and more importantly, likely the next target will also be OHKOed. Plus once one is set-up you can begin building the next.

5 Likes

Why did you cut Landorus FFI?
I prefer Scorched Earth over Fighting Stadium, but Silent Lab is a must.
I’d drop one N to max out Korrina, the real star of this deck (just for it’s ability to grab the Victory Piece). I’d also throw in a Weakness Policy, because Korrina can grab it too in times of need.

Sweet list though. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I cut Landorus FFI and Scorched Earth for Victini-EX because I overestimated the weight of Genesect-EX variants in the new format… Now that the results from Florida have confirmed that Genesect-EX is on the wane, yes, Landorus FFI is the better choice!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone!

My son put this together. Please let me know what you think of using this Flygon methodology! :slight_smile:

Use charge on vibrava to get energy and then flygon to attach it! If everything sets up nice, you could have Groudon ready to go on T2, more likely on T3 which is worth not giving up 2 prizes when that happens like with Victini EX.

3 Trapinch PC 82
2 Vibrava FI 75
3 Flygon FI 76
3 Groudon EX PC 85
3 Primal Groudon EX PC 86
1 Spiritomb LT 87
15 cards

3 Groudon Spirit Link PC 131
3 Korrina FI 111
2 Rare Candy PC 135
3 Professor Birch’s Observations PC 134
3 Professor Sycamore PF 101
2 Lysandre FF 104
2 VS Seeker PF 109
3 Ultra Ball FF 99
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card PF 118
2 Professor’s Letter XY 123
2 Switch BW 104
4 Silent Lab PC 140
3 N
33 cards

12 Fighting Energy XY 137
12 Cards

Update: After a few games, changes I just made:
-1 Virizion
-2 Max Potion
-4 Grass
+4 Fighting Energy
+3 N

If Spiritomb is in play to stop G-Booster, it’s not needed. A Genesect with a Muscle Band can one-shot Primal Groudon.

Also, to reach high numbers (mainly against other Megas and Primals), you should run some Strong Energy. With a Stadium in play, you obviously hit for 200 damage - but you might need to boost that to take out something like Mega Gardevoir or even an opposing Primal Groudon. Dealing 200 damage to a Mega Gardevoir only to see it erased with Fairy Transfer and a Max Potion wouldn’t be fun. 20 more damage per Strong Energy shouldn’t be overlooked.

Good Point, I will change 4 basic to strong energy and remove spirit tomb
and maybe add another switch or escape rope.