Primal Groudon-EX PRC Variants // XY-on 2016

I tried running this deck and I went against a whole lot of Night March in expanded and Vespiquen in standard. They’re so painful to go against, BUT, I have to say, Jirachi really saved my ass so hard - I had 2 Night March opponents concede after I discarded all of their DCE with Lysandres lol.

Other than that I have to say that I don’t quite get how you’re supposed to run it after turns 3-4 when you get the P-Groudon out. I mean as big and scary as P-Groudon is, most opponents are clever enough to hide behind their non-EX Pokemon while P-Groudon is benched, so a lot of the time you’ll have to settle for a 2 for 2 prize exchange (and as it will generally take you more resources to set up, that’s usually not too faavorable) or be stuck waiting for a Lysandre, or a VS Seeker if you discarded him with Battle Compressor.

Also I didn’t find Focus Sash too useful because while it can prevent disaster, you’re still going 2 for 2 against Vespiquen and Night March. What really made the difference there was Jirachi, being able to stall these decks down to a halt, or occasionally outright crush them as they struggle to do anything to him.

Would anyone happen to have a link to a recent video of this deck being played so I could get a better grasp of the general strategy starting with the mid-game point? All of the videos I’ve found are either too old or feature more exotic lists, like a Maxie’s Groudon.

Would love some input on wether I should run this deck… I have the old list of Groudon lando hawlucha… Idk if I should scrap it or spend money go update it for this season.

If you have money to spend on decks, don’t spend it on this one. The deck is good, but not REALLY good.

1 Like

I already have all the Groudon and staples trainers from the old list but I would need to get supporting pokemon… What ever I should run. I haven’t found a updated list that is provin to be good

By this, I think you mean a Basic Groudon with 3 energy on it. If you get to the point that you do this, its a bad idea. If you want suprise KOs, evolve, then mega turbo twice.
The only reason I see Groudon decks running a spirit link, is to evolve a Groudon while another one is attacking.

2 Likes

If Hard Charm was good in the past, Assault Vest will be incredible in Groudon.

Honestly, I haven’t played this IRL and online I’ve only played a dozen or so games with it so I can’t say exactly how good or bad it is - it’s probably about average, anyway. What I can tell you however is that it’s a really fun deck and there’s very few things that feel more satisfying than finally getting to attack with that Primal Groudon after powering it up for so long. It’s something that many decks lack for me - decks like Night March and Vespiquen just feel cheap, you don’t have to work for your KOs, just do your thing with the discards, attach that DCE and go to town. Primal Groudon feels like a deck that rewards your effort throughout the game.

So while it might not be THE best deck in the game right now, it’s good enough that some people play it competitively with some success, and it feels fun. If you have the cards, why not give it a go? You’ll only need a handful of cards to run it, anyway.

Surprise KOs means just that, surprise KOs - you have a Groudon in your bench with maybe 2 energies, and then all of a sudden you evolve it, attach and Mega Turbo into a retreat (Float Stone/discard Robo Sub) and attack out of nowhere.

After playing the deck for a while, I think 1 Spirit Link might be worth running just because it can occasionally be useful and you can get a Mega Turbo with a Korrina to further boost that surprise KO. A lot of the time you’ll have a fully powered Primal Groudon with 4 energies in the bench and there’s just not a good enough time to pull it out because the enemy could see it coming too early.

I thought about Assault Vest and to be honest I thought it was a bit underwhelming in this deck. Hard Charm already felt like a very borderline inclusion as it almost never did its job - turning a 2HKO to a 3HKO - and realistically virtually nothing can OHKO Groudon other than Vespiquen (and only Sash/Weakness Policy can save you there) and Night March (and that deck already has a tough time OHKOing 240 HP Pokemon).

It might be useful if M-Houndoom-EX becomes a thing but as it is the only special energies that see enough play to consider for this tool are Strong Energy (so it could be good against Lucario-Bats, making Lucario useless) and DCE (discussed previously).

I think 2x Sash, 1x Spirit Link and 1x Float Stone might be the way to go tool-wise.

1 Like

3 Primal Groudon-EX (PRC 86)
3 Groudon-EX (PRC 85)
3 Wobuffet (PHF 36
2-2-2 dragonite line
Trainers: 33
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Korrina
3 Professor Birch’s Observation
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Center Lady
4 VS Seeker
4 Robo Substitute
2 Focus Sash
2 Switch
1 Mega Turbo
1 Hard Charm
1 Ultra Ball
2 Silent Lab
1 Fighting Stadium
1 Shrine of Memories
Energy: 12
8 Fighting Energy
4 Strong Energy

What you think of this?

Personally I am not convinced about Dragonite. Its effect is neat but I think it’s a bit too slow and it gives you awkward hands.Plus in this deck you’ve got no back-up attackers so you’re relying completely on Silent Lab to deal with Giratina and Safeguard Pokemon, If you aren’t interested in going the Regirock/Jirachi way from Skyla’s post, I highly recommend running at least 1-2 Hawlucha or Landorus FUF in there.

Other than that I don’t understand Shrine of Memories - it feels like that slot would be better served for any other stadium. Do you have something in specific in mind with it?

1 Like

Massive Rend from regular groudon ex. KOs ex’es if you have two strong energy and you don’t have to discard a stadium.

1 Like

What about 2 zorua 2 zoroark 2 dce instead of dragon line

That doesn’t feel like it’s worth it though. It’d take 2 Strong Energies (and there’s no way to fetch those, you have to manually draw into them), a Stadium card that you have to hold on to until you can attack, and then you can only OHKO 170 HP non-Fighting resistant EXs, so you’re missing KOs on Lugia, Giratina, Rayquaza, other Groudon-EX, Gengar, Seismitoad, Yveltal and a few other, less playable ones.

Granted it’s better for killing non-EX Pokemon, which is awesome, but I feel that one card won’t make that much of a difference there - it’d probably be a better tactic to VS Seeker (you’re running 4 after all) for a Lysandre and OHKO a Pokemon EX with a stadium that does more than let you use Massive Rend.

That sounds pretty good. It can attack for just a DCE and it’ll OHKO pretty much every non-EX Pokemon if the opponent has 5 benched, and I do think that non-EX Pokemon are a bit of a problem for this deck. Plus you’re already running a Float Stone, so put it on that Zoroark and you’ve now got a Keldeo. Definitely an idea worth testing.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it also deals with Regice, and if you run a single Muscle Band, you can OHKO 180HP Pokemon EX that give you trouble, like Giratina.

1 Like

…Hey, look! A Shaymin!

(Also, Giratina is OHKO’ed by that.)

If you mean Lysandre-ing out the Shaymin (because who leaves their Shaymin active?) then if you have a stadium in play then surely couldn’t you have just as well OHKOed a Pokemon-EX that had energies on it instead? Unless you’re going for the finisher, in which case any stadium would do the trick for OHKOing Shaymin.

And oh wow, my bad, I looked at the old Giratina that had 180 HP lol.

3 Primal Groudon-EX (PRC 86)
3 Groudon-EX (PRC 85)
3 Wobuffet (PHF 36
2-2 Zoroark
Trainers: 33
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Korrina
3 Professor Birch’s Observation
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Center Lady
4 VS Seeker
2 Robo Substitute
2 Muscle Band
2 Focus Sash
2 Switch
1 Mega Turbo
1 Hard Charm
1 Ultra Ball
2 Silent Lab
1 Fighting Stadium
1 Shrine of Memories
Energy: 14
2DCE
8 Fighting Energy
4 Strong Energy

What should I remove to put 2 float stones in

I think 2 Float Stones might be a bit much, you could cut the Hard Charm to add 1 Float Stone as your deck is a bit speedier than common Primal Groudon decks.

As a quick note, you can’t use Stand In to get Wobb out of the active, as Wobb turns Stand In off.

Well should I run a escape rop and is 3 wobb necessary if I also have zoroark

Thinking of cutting 2 fighting energy for another turbo and escape rope

I feel like even a single copy of Assault Vest deserves a spot in your list. The list looks ok, although I personally don’t agree with the Zoroark, Float Stones, or Muscle Bands; Groudon essentially does the same thing. But if it works for you, it works for you. It’s your list after all. And who knows? Maybe it actually WILL work.