Primal Clash [ENG] // Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm XY5 [JPN]

The fifth XY expansion’s English name has been revealed. The set, based on Japan’s Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm expansions, will be titled XY - Primal Clash in English. It features Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, and will be released in early February.

Primal Reversion will be brought into the Trading Card Game soon after the release of Phantom Forces. Primal Reversion is an extension of the Mega Pokémon-EX mechanic, evolving from the long-standing Pokémon-EX. Only one Primal Pokémon-EX has been previewed, with two announced for release: the XY Series’s Hoenn Collection will contain a Jumbo promotional print of either Primal Groudon-EX or Primal Kyogre-EX. Primal Groudon-EX will have an effect named Ω Barrier that states Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokémon Tools and Stadium Cards) prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokémon.

Primal Kyogre’s ability is Primordial Sea and it blocks Fire-type moves and changing the weather. Its move is Origin Pulse. Primal Groudon’s ability is Desolate Land and it blocks Water-type moves and changing the weather. It’s move is Precipice Blades.

Other useful links:

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Japanese_XY5_set_block_announced_to_be_Gaia_Volcano_%26_Tidal_Storm

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mega_Metagross-EX_Premium_Collection_image_revealed

sigh

Disappointed that they are announcing February’s set when we are still over a month away from Phantom Gate.

Oh well, start posting your Primal Groudon decks here (‘it’s bound to be good!’) and don’t forget to make up some cards to hype (Tidal Energy will be so awesome!!!).

15 Likes

I’m looking forward to this set. It appears to introduce some new mechanics, we’ve seemed to have more of those than usual. I mean, Mega Pokemon and ACE SPECs, those are usually very far apart time wise. But now this “New Logic Card”, the “Team Flare Hyper Gear” (from Phantom Gate, and there may be some in these sets) and the Primal versions’ abilities-that-aren’t-quite-abilities? This seems to be an influx of sudden new mechanics.

As to what I anticipate to see in these sets:
More support for Mega/Primal Evolution like the Spirit Link cards
A stadium that gives an advantage to Primal Groudon/Kyogre
New Special Energy/Rereleases of old special energy.

Sableye EX and M Sableye EX?

It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen this time around, but I want to see promo cards included with the games. Each game could have a different promo, either a new unreleased card, or simply an alternate foil/art of an existing card. Most TCG players will be getting the game anyway so they will have the card for their collection, it gives a little more incentive to buy both versions, and could serve as an advertisement for the card game. Most of the new PTCG players are fans of, and players of, the video games. Including ORAS related promos (even if they are not the slightest bit playable) would be a nice taste for the cards considering people outside Japan won’t be seeing ORAS cards until months after the games release, a somewhat similar notion as the Kalos Starter Decks.

The least they can do is include a leaflet about the card game to tell people about PTCGO and the card game in general, it baffles me they don’t.

3 Likes

I want to see more megas per set, idk 2 per set kind of seems lack luster for the newer X/Y set, 20 then X/Y, primal clash seems like it’s going to be a set chauked full of good stuff, right in time for states.

Though I agree, it seems a bit to soon to post a release date for it.

I dislike big sets with too many ultra rare cards in them.

It’s hard on people who buy a box/packs rather than singles.

1 Like

PLEASE GIVE ME A MEGA SABLEYE! PLEASE GIVE ME A MEGA SABLEYE!

1 Like

I want a mega-aggron. Maybe a mega audino just for kicks

Does anyone realize that Audino cards have the silliest attacks?

• hip bump
• do the wave
• relaxed roll

Really?

1 Like

They exist, but I dunno if we’ll get cards in tcg for them.

I know they exist. I was saying I would want them in the set thats being discussed.

Oh well that might actually happen, guess we’ll have to wait and see :smile:

1 Like

So, if this is true, that we will have our one set with 140+ cards. Isn’t that a lot?

@Phoenix15
I have copies of all those Audino, but the Busybody one does it for me.
@themiraclemeat
Mega Aggron looks really cool in that photo. Really want one in this set.

1 Like

My friend used to play that in a deck for reasons I can’t remember. Every time he played it we would burst out laughing.

1 Like

Ok so the part i am most hyped for is that on pokebeach they announced 12 new EX and 4 New Mega EX i cant wait to see the pull rate!

just realized thats 4 away from the LTR & radiant collection sets
PULL RATES will be good but the only issue is the set will have a LOT of cards in it

If the set gets too big, they might decide to split it into two sets, or put part of it with the equivalent of Japan’s next set.

I am both happy and sad. I like getting EX’s, but drafts and prereleases got boring around LTR. They pull rate was through the roof. It was a contest of who could get the best EX, not who was a flexible and creative deck builder…
I was pretty happy when the pull rates decreased in XY. Getting an ex actualy has a thrill to it, rater than, “Oh, there’s another one. Why couldn’t I get a secret rare?”

I am sad because then the EX’s won’t be worth anything…

I will get really hyped when they make stage 2’s viable (which is never)