Predictions on Worlds 2015 decks

So, I was playing on TCG one, using decks that I might use at Worlds when I realized that I have no idea what to expect. So I started thinking about the Worlds meta. Then, it happened that I went against a VirGen deck. I remembered someone (I think @Dwenhardt) saying that his Teammates were hyping VirGen because of all the Walord during U.S. Nationals. Then, I thought that VirGen would also be good against Toad (some variants) and Primal Kyogre which won nats in seniors.

Primal Kyogre is a deck that I thought had some potential when the set was first released, but I didn’t really know how it was supposed to be played. Therefore, I overlooked it (but my brother didn’t) and the next thing I know, it beats MetalRay, M Manectric ex, and Toad/Manectriic/Jynx FFI and ultimately wins U.S. nationals. Not something I was expecting, and I honestly don’t think that anyone was expecting it.

This relates to Wailord ex, too. It was something no one was expecting, and it took second and (I’m pretty sure) ninth in the Masters division. What was amazing about Wailord, was that no one was ready for it, but by the end of day one, everyone knew how to counter it. Unfortunately, many people did not have good matchups against it still because the healing power was too strong, and they couldn’t change their decks for day two to add in that one Bunnelby.

However, players in the masters and seniors divison became ready for the Wailord matchup. I saw @XtremeFate use a tech one-of Bunnelby and beat Wailord in the first round of a single elimination side event. Many players were considering using Bunnelby in their decks for Worlds to help with the Wailord matchup. With all the looming threats to Walord, I believe that many players decided to back off to using Wailord for Worlds. So now the question is: Is Bunnelby necessary to use in decks as a Wailord counter, or no?

Now, some decks will obviously be played in all age divisions, like MetalRay, Seismitoad ex variants, and Metal. But what about those other decks? Landybats was used in the junior and senior division a lot. (I’m not sure about masters.) However, Toad, MetalRay, and Primal Kyogre all have good matchups, and those decks preformed better than Landybats. Landybats was used because so many people thought M Manectric ex and Manectric ex were gong to be used highly. And they were. But they were used with partners that countered Landybats. Xander Pero made top 8 in senors and went 9-0 day 1 swiss with Toad/Manectric/Jynx FFI. Patrick Martinez made top 4 in seniors with a M Manectric variant that used Ninetails PRC and Rough Seas as well as Kyurem PLF. Cal Connor and Grant Manley both made top 8 in seniors and top 4 in masters respectevly with M Manectric/Garbodor/Empoleon PLF via Archies Ace in the Hole. I myself used a Seismitoad/Manectrc/Crobat PHF deck. Each of the doggy’s partners countered Landybats in some way, making Landybats go from a hyped deck, to one that ended up getting beaten by the reason it was played.

My point here is that the nationals metagame predictions were very different from the nationals metagame reality.

This thread is so anyone can post (and argue) the metagame for Worlds. It is to help anyone going to Worlds (including myself) in part of their Worlds preparations. Plus, I’m sure that no one wants to show up playing quad Toad to counter Landybats, then finds out that no one is using Landybats and the majority of their matches is VirGen. :grimacing:

Note: This is for ALL DIVISIIONS. This means that you can post what you’re expecting for juniors, seniors, or masters.

A sleeper pick of mine is definitely Virizion/Genesect/Ninetales with plasma badge and frozen city. Atm, when playing VG, your worst matchup is Crayquaza because of its sheer speed, but with Ninetales and frozen city, they’re limited to doing 150 damage with Emerald Break, and the 20 they take from attaching due to frozen city puts them in range of a G-Booster KO. It sounds clunky on paper, but in a format where at any given point you’re a Shaymin-EX away from Consistency (Or the Messed up illusion of it we have today at least) anything is possible. I think it’s a really good deck, and it’s gotten a lot of my attention.

One thing I was thinking of, is a wailord deck with a 1-DCE and 2-Water energy tech, for suicune to knock out that one bunnelby. I also like the idea because if your not facing bunnelby you can use them to heal poison from wailord, using its ability, so they wouldnt be a deadweight in some matchups.

Wailord is way too easy to beat. I honestly don’t think it’ll have a real showing at worlds.

I predict that the all - and I mean all - the top deck will have… 60 cards. :wink:

I also expect them all to have sleeves, though going without can be an effective tactic against certain opponents. In a different TCG someone was using a deck worth (at the time) $100 - $200 sleeves without sleeves and I got kind of lightheaded watching him shuffle. >.>

Well, they will after deck checks anyway. Until then, I wouldn’t rule out shenanigans :wink:

Other than that, Toad, Manectric, and Metal Quaza look best placed. Night March and Vir/Gen are outside possibilities, and janky Fighting decks always seem to come good at big tournaments.

I played that in canadian nationals and got wrecked by it cause i was playing trevenant and they had red signal :3

Obviously, Seismitoad-EX/Garbodor and Seismitoad-EX/Crobat should be right around the top, but I also expect solid performances from Bronzong, Crayquaza, Primal Groudon-EX, Manectric-EX (Including Mega variants), Landobats, and Night March. I think that Aromatisse Toolboxes, Plasma Flareon, Yveltal-EX, Primal Kyogre-EX, Gengar/Trevenant, and Donphan could be good as well, but I have yet to see if they will perform as well as expected.

There are a few things about each division’s style of play that usually affects what deck they play the most:

Juniors: The junior players usually are less experienced than the other divisions. They like the idea of using a lot of damage at once using small amounts of energy. So, many juniors I’ve seen use Lucario ex/Hawlucha FFI/Landorus ex variants. Many of them are too inexperienced to run many different decks during the course of a year. My brother has been playing VirGen most of the year, seven when it was not at its peak.

Seniors: Seniors are cautious, aggressive, and look up to masters. I find myself looking at the masters results to see what decks did well, then choose my deck based on that info because I know that many seniors will be running that deck. Ex. At Lancaster regionals, I ran M Manectric/Yveltal and made top 8 because most of my matchups were Yveltal ex decks because it did the best at cities. Seniors basically choose their decks based on how well masters do with them. On the other hand, some seniors don’t even look at masters results and look at the seniors results. Those seniors end up running deck with good matchups against the other decks. However, some seniors think that they can be just as good as masters, and that will give them an edge. I believe this inspired seniors to run Wailord in side events. They didn’t do very well.

Masters: I don’t know too much about masters. It’s a little confusing, how they choose their decks. I have no idea what to expect in masters except for disruption decks. Seismitoad/Garbodor, Wailord, Bunnelby, Gengar/Trevenent, and Hippowdon all have forms of disruption. Even Metal and MetalRay have disruption in the form of Aegislash. I’m not too clear about the masters meta, but disruption is a sure thing to expect.

Masters just go hard in the paint in testing, they dont like being predictable because thats what causes you to lose.

Seniors tier list. (I do not rank decks once they are in the tier.)
Tier S:
Toad/Manectric/Bats
M Manectric ex/Empoleon via Archies/Garbodor

Tier A:
M Rayquaza ex/Metal
Toad/Manectric/Jynx
Raichu/Leafeon/Bats
Primal Kyogre
Toad/Bats
LandyBats
Archies/Blastoise PLB
Toad/Garbodor
Night March
Gengar/Trevenent XY
Metal
Klinklang

Tier B:
M Rayquaza Dragon
VirGen
Wailord ex
Primal Groudon/Wobbufett
Toad/Crawdaunt
Arromatisse/Toolbox
Yveltal ex variants
Donphan PLS
M Manectric/Aegislash
Wobbats
M Ray/Grass

This is not final and will be changed to peoples suggestions.

I just wanted to state that I see a certain appeal in following the video game ranking system instead of the normal numerical tiers. I’m not sure what it is, I just do. XD

bunnelby lock to sweep worlds (think sableye garbodor a couple of years back)

This seems solid, although Toad/Manny/Jynx is questionable on tier S. Definitely tier A at the absolute very least, however. Thanks for making this!

Do you mean the same way Smogon does that tier thing? Y’know, like OU, RU, NU, Pee-yew?

I have no idea what you mean!

Smogon tiers are how they seperate Pokemon into degrees of how “Good” a Pokémon is.

Uber: The banlist for anything too good for OU. “Broken” Pokémon like Greninja, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mawile, and around 95% of legendary Pokémon are here.

OU: The premier tier, this is where the Excellent but not broken Pokémon go. Prominent Pokémon include Mega Metagross, Mega Altaria, Clefable, and Mega Charizard X.

UU: The place for Pokémon that are Great but not Excellent. Prominent Pokémon include Mega Pidgeot [Not for much longer] Salamence, Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Hydreigon.

RU: The Place for Pokémon that are Good but not great. Prominent Pokémon include Flygon, Mega Glalie, Tyrantrum, and Scrafty.

NU: The place for Pokémon that are just okay. Prominent Pokémon include Archeops, Tauros, Lilligant, and Mega Audino [The only mega evolution in this tier]

PU: The Place for Pokémon that are bad. Prominent Pokémon include Roselia and Poliwrath.

So it goes like this

"Broken"
Excellent
Great
Good
Just Okay
Bad

Hope this helped :slight_smile:

It has nothing to do with how good they are, it’s how played they are.

No, I was referring to how video games are where I was first exposed to the concept of the S-Rank, a rank beyond “A” in the typical letter grading system. A quick Google search and checking a few links suggests this is indeed where it originates; the idea that anything below a “C” is a failure (as opposed to anything below a “D”) is supposedly common to Japan and depending upon the school (and time period) I have heard of similar standards in the U.S. So either to provide more “acceptable” rankings for tasks in games [b]or[b] to sound cool or both, someone started including an S-Rank above A, usually to reflect higher standards.

Basically it is a way to turn an “A+” into its own rank.

Forgot about mega Ray, which is too good for ubers.