Pokemon TCG Expensive?

While yes, there are some cards that were profitabl to purchase when they came out, most were not. Look at Jolteon-EX. Shaymin-EX will stop being nearly as profitable as it is now when next season rolls around and it is delegated to expanded.

Or will it? In the immediate it definitely will, but in the slightly far future, it will be worth more than it is now. Look at the Star cards. Now realize that most of them weren’t playable. Then realize how playable Shaymin is. It WILL boost in price eventually.

The star cards were high ratity and are sought by collectors

Shaymin ex will be just like any other ex once it does not have a purpose.

If your looking to get into any game competitively you have three things you need to factor cost into

1. the cost of the cards
  2. the cost of travel
  3. the cost of your time

If you are planning to play competitively then you will find the cost of travel FAR out weighs the cost of the cards. Gas or airfare, hotel rooms, food and everything else are 100% lost at the end of your weekend. At least the cards you can sell to someone and get back some portion of your original spend.

As for making money off your cards. If your actively playing, then the cards that are worth the most are cards you would never consider selling. And when you are ready to sell them it’s likely because you no longer see them as playable. An no one else does so you get a fraction of what you paid for them. But you still get something

Shaymin EX will certainly drop in price but I highly doubt it will fall to the level of “just any other ex” if players continue to play old format games

This statement makes me feel a sense of salt.
When you fully commit to a card game like Pokémon it’s easy to make money.
Infact I do it with my eyes closed.

Just thinking back to the past month:
Price increases on:
5 full art shaymins @£25 Now £55, 10 half art shaymins @£15-20 now @£40, 20 max elixr, @£2 now @£5 30 trainers mails @£1 now @£4 20 vs seekers @£4-5 now @£10

that’s just 5 cards with a turnover in profit of around £600 ($735)

Money can be made easily if you make the correct investments

This is something I put together last week, but basically I wrote up decklists of popular Yu-Gi-Oh and calculated the cost of building them from scratch, then did the same for a Mega Rayquaza deck just to compare the costs. I got my prices from common prices on tcgplayer. I didn’t do any other Pokémon decks because I’m not quite sure what the tier one decks are other than stuff I’ve heard about Mega Mewtwo/Garbodor, but I couldn’t find a standardized meta list for that quickly, partly because it seems like none of the forums on this site even talk about decks anymore.

Metalfoes
Monsters - 27
3 Metalfoes Silverd $0.20
3 Metalfoes Goldriver $2.20
3 Metalfoes Steelen $0.20
3 Metalfoes Volflame $2.25
3 Majespecter Raccoon - Bunbuku $8
1 Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin $1
3 Jowgen the Spiritualist $3.25
3 Gofu the Vague Shadow $0.40
3 Archfiend Eccentrick $4.50
1 Luster Pendulum $0.90
1 Rescue Rabbit $0.65
$65.55

Spells - 7
1 Metalfoes Fusion $0.40
2 Painful Decision $4.30
3 Summoner’s Art $2.50
1 Upstart Goblin $2.20
$16.2

Traps - 6
1 Solemn Warning $4
1 Vanity’s Emptiness $4
3 Metalfoes Counter $0.10
1 Metalfoes Combination $0.70
$9

Extra Deck - 15
1 Metalfoes Adamante $0.35
1 Metalfoes Crimsonite $0.25
2 Metalfoes Orichalc $0.15
1 Ultimaya Tzolkin $3
1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn $1.20
1 Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend $3.75
1 Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon $40
1 Ignister, the Blasting Dracoslayer $0.75
1 Stardust Spark Dragon $3
1 Utopia $3.50
1 Utopia the Lightning $26
1 Castel $3
1 Totem Bird $2.50
1 Abyss Dweller $1.20
$88.80

Total price:
$179.55

More expensive alternatives:
-3 Summoner’s Art ($2.50)
+3 Pot of Desires ($83)
-1 Metalfoes Combination ($0.70)
-1 Archfiend Eccentrick ($4.50)
+2 Solemn Strike ($28)
-1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn ($1.20)
-1 Abyss Dweller ($1.20)
+1 Void Ogre Dragon ($7.20)
+1 The Phantom Knights of Break Sword ($43)

New price:
$519.65

Mega Rayquaza
Pokémon - 16
4 Rayquaza EX $6.50
3 Mega Rayquaza EX $13
4 Shaymin EX $81
3 Hoopa EX $10
1 Manaphy EX $4.75
1 Joltik STS (free retreat) $0.07
$423.82

Energy - 9
4 Double Colorless Energy $1.50
5 Water Energy $0.20
$7

Trainers - 35
4 Professor Sycamore $0.50
1 N $4.50
1 Hex Maniac $0.20
1 Pokémon Ranger $0.40
1 Lysandre $0.60
$7.7

4 VS Seeker $4.20
4 Trainers’ Mail $4.25
4 Ultra Ball $0.40
4 Rayquaza Spirit Link $0.07
2 Float Stone $0.75
1 Sacred Ash $0.40
1 Special Charge $0.32
3 Mega Turbo $0.40
$39.10

4 Sky Field $0.35
$1.40

Total price:
$479.02

Blue-Eyes:
Monsters - 19
3 Blue-Eyes White Dragon $1
3 Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon $11
2 Dragon Spirit of White $6.25
3 The White Stone of Ancients $11
1 The White Stone of Legend $0.70
2 Effect Veiler $4
2 Maxx “C” $15
3 Sage with Eyes of Blue $21
$183.20

Spells - 18
2 Pot of Desires $83
3 Trade-In $1.50
3 Return of the Dragon Lords $6
2 Dragon Shrine $0.50
3 The Melody of Awakening Dragon $2
2 Cards of Consonance $1
3 Twin Twisters $9
$224.50

Traps - 3
1 Vanity’s Emptiness $4
1 Solemn Warning $4
1 Phoenix Wing Wind Blast $1
$9

Extra Deck - 15
2 Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon $1.75
2 Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon $0.60
1 Number 23: Lancelot $0.45
1 Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy $10
1 Black Rose Moonlight Dragon $4
1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn $1.20
1 Alsei, the Sylvan High Arbiter $3.60
1 Number 15: Gimmick Puppet Giant Grinder $5.50
1 Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon $6.60
1 Galaxy-Eyes Full Armor Dragon $1.75
1 Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon $10
1 Hieratic Sun Dragon Overlord Heliopolis $5
1 Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand $8
$60.80

Total price:
$477.50

Cheaper alternatives:
-1 Giant Grinder ($5.50)
-1 Black Rose Moonlight Dragon ($4)
-1 Alsei, the Sylvan High Arbiter ($3.60)
-1 Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand ($8)
-1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn ($1.20)
(these five cards are just optional and aren’t necessary to the success of the deck; they’re usually just played because there’s no reason not to play them)
-1 Cipher Dragon (the deck saw plenty of success before this even came out, so it’s just another option that isn’t necessary) ($6.60)
-1-3 Twin Twisters ($9)
+1-3 Mystical Space Typhoon/A Wingbeat of Giant Dragon ($0.50/$0.07)
-1-3 Return of the Dragon Lords ($6)
+1-3 Silver’s Cry ($2)

New price:
$409.81-436.10

So as you can see, there are some meta decks in Yu-Gi-Oh that can cost you under $200 if built correctly, and there are some equally viable decks that can cost you $400-500. It just depends on what deck you’d like to play. The more expensive decks in Yu-Gi-Oh at the moment (meaning decks that must be spend a lot of money on, not just that can be spent a lot of money on) are around the same price as a Mega Rayquaza deck (which if I’m not mistaken is currently tier one). I don’t think there are any tier one Pokémon decks at the moment that will cost under $200.

This isn’t factoring in if you want to own more than one deck at a time though.
Once you have multiple Shaymins, 4 VS Seekers, 4 Trainers’ Mails and a couple other cards, building a second Pokémon deck is usually much cheaper than building a second Yu-Gi-Oh deck, as most Yu-Gi-Oh decks don’t share many cards with each other due to the greater diversity of strategies in that game. (There are however some exceptions to this, such as Phantom Knights and Burning Abyss, or Quasar Turbo and Dark Synchro). It all just depends on how you want to play the game, but if you’re looking for the cheapest entry cost into playing competitively with any deck, Yu-Gi-Oh is currently the way to go.

Great breakdown.

And yeah YUGIOH is the cheaper alternative to POKEMON.

I think we have a problem here.

I think just saying that ygo is a cheaper alternative to pokemon is a pretty misleading statement. Pokemon has a higher initial investment, but in order to play competitively, you’re usually going to need to be able to play multiple decks, which favors pokemon way more, since so many decks share so many cards in Pokemon. If you only want to make one deck, ygo is probably a better option, but if you want to have flexibility in what you play, pokemon seems a lot more cost-effective, and I personally think that’s fine

That is true, but also Pokemon rotates so there is that too.

Pokemon rotation means a decrease in prices for rotating cards. Also, what was once expensive may become cheap and what was once cheap may become expensive because of rotation unlike Yu-Gi-Oh where there are very little “staples” and is reliant on the Ban List and new sets to keep prices and decks in check

It’s almost like Pokemon has created a way to preserve cards’ value/eliminate rotation as a market concept.

Maybe it is just me personally but I never liked the idea of Rotation. I know why it exists, and the benefits, yadda yadda yadda, it has just always bugged me the concept of “hey all that money you just spent on that deck? well in three months it’ll all be useless. have fun doing it again!”

Typically sets stay legal for 2.5-3 years so as long as you’re staying current with the game, you don’t have that problem that often.

I understand the annoyance that buying new cards may bring, but there are multiple examples in the game where lack of rotation has literally broken the game. Sableye in 2011 and Shiftry in expanded in late 2015 are the ones that immediately come to mind. There just has to be a rotation to keep a game like this balanced. It’s either that or a ban list and both would do effectively the same thing to your wallet.

I know people who spend mass amounts of money on Worlds merchandise and then sell it off back in the UK for 4 times as much as they bought it for.

Oh yeah like I said I totally get it, it just irks me personally.

You can’t use the only deck in the meta right now that requires 4 shaymin as the benchmark for pricing. Especially considering M Rayquaza has fallen out of favor due to rampant parallel city and did poorly at Orlando Regionals. Most other competitive standard decks use only 2 shaymin which cuts estimated costs drastically.

Shaymin is 40$ at the moment and quickly falling because of the Sun and moon expansion which rolls out roaring skies. Thank goodness.

Vs seeker is 8$ so count is a bit off.

Mega ray is the most expensive decks