On the Bubble A Juniors Recap of NAIC

On the Bubble
A Juniors Recap of the North American International Championship

Hi SixPrizes readers! My name is Nikhail and I am a Junior division player out of Boston, Massachusetts. There have been no articles for Juniors written by Juniors so I decided to give writing an article a try! Today I am recapping my Juniors NAIC experience. Prior to the event I was sitting at 265/350 CP which meant that I needed to make top 32 at NAIC to secure my Worlds 2017 invite. It would be a real big challenge but I was excited and looking forward to the event!

Going in I was undecided which deck I wanted to play. After a few weeks of playing Garb, Metagross GX, and several other decks, I decided to play Garb/Espeon as I felt it had good matchups and I had experience with it from several local League Cups. It is a pretty good deck and it’s fun to play!

Here was my list:

Pokémon - 20

• 1 Drampa-GX GRI 115
  • 4 Eevee SUM 101
  • 1 Flareon AOR 13
  • 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
  • 3 Espeon-GX SUM 140
  • 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
  • 4 Trubbish BKP 56
  • 3 Garbodor GRI 51
  • 1 Garbodor BKP 57

Trainer Cards - 28

• 2 Lysandre AOR 78
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
  • 2 Field Blower GRI 125
  • 3 N FAC 105
  • 3 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 1 Super Rod BKT 149
  • 3 Float Stone BKT 137
  • 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
  • 4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
  • 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 12

• 8 Psychic Energy GEN 79
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

I played Flareon for a better match up against metal and grass decks. I also went with an extra float stone for an extra chance at keeping up Garbodor BKP Garbotoxin ability when I needed it. In testing the Zoroark/Drampa matchup was 40/60 so last minute I decided to swap out my second Tapu Koko promo for a Drampa GX to give me a better shot at OHKO Zoroark and Zoroark BREAK.

My day went as follows:

R1 - Sylveon GX. (1/0/0) - It was pretty easy. I just had to 2HKO their sylveons and keep up an N loop and I won the first two games.

R2 - Drampa/Garb. (2/0/0) - My opponent dead drew leading to quick wins. They went first and attached to Drampa. I used Eevee and Energy Evolutioned into Espeon after which they put down a Trubbish and passed. Then I divided and KOed the Trubbish and put 30 on Drampa. They attached a DCE and used Beserk for 80. I was then able to use Psychic for the KO and win. I won the second game but it was tougher.

R3 - Metagross (3/0/0) - I quickly won both games using the combination of Flareon and Garbotoxin.

R4 - Zoroark (3/1/0) This was a hard matchup for me and I ended up losing the round. I learned after that I was playing the #1 player in South America!

R5 - Tapu Bulu (4/1/0) - I was able to quickly setup in both games and won.

R6 - Toxopex/Garb. (4/2/0) - This match came down to a game three and took nearly the full 50 minutes. In the final game I Lysandre’d his Trubbish and would’ve knocked it out with weakness but we forgot weakness! My opponent retreated into Drampa GX to take his final prize cards to win the game and round. It was then I remembered we didn’t apply weakness after we picked up our cards so I called the judge. The judges ruled that my opponent won. It was a tough loss for me due to the misplay and the judges ruling. Also it was my second loss of the day with two more rounds to play.

R7 - I played Decidueye and lost quickly. (4/3/0)

R8 - With my loss in R6 and R7, I was so stressed out that I misplayed too much and lost. (4/4/0)

Final: (4/4/0), 61st.

Final Thoughts

After qualifying and attending Worlds last year, I was sad to miss my Worlds invite this year. It was a challenging day against several great players. I was relieved when the tournament was over because I was stressed out after my round 6 loss. I had a lot of fun the next day playing Garb/Espeon in side events where I went a combined 7-2 in Jr Standard tournament and two all ages pickup games! Before Burning Shadows is released, I would play this deck. It is pretty good and has good match ups against the board. I would just make sure not to misplay and if something feels wrong then call a judge and don’t pick up your cards.I might drop a Tapu Koko for a float stone. Also I might not play Drampa and go up a Lysandre. I really like the junior division but next year is my last year in juniors. I am relatively new to it but I have a gaming YouTube called NRGKing.I hope you enjoyed reading and this article might help! Bye!!

By Nikhail Reddy-Glover

Well written for a junior.

Thanks dude. I appreciate it.

Great article! Really awesome to see such a quality piece written by a Junior!

Great article! As a young player myself I have to say I couldn’t have written any better myself. Sorry you missed your invite. Try again next year :frowning:

After coming straight out of juniors last year, I love finding juniors who love writing articles. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. How’s seniors going?

Thanks. Glad to see a fellow junior read the article

Thanks for the compliment

Because you’re new here I’m just gonna say that a simple “thank you” post can just be done by “liking” the post so as not to clog up threads with unnessecary posts

Ok thanks for the tip

Good, but different, meta is less “play consistent” to going anti meta. When you go into seniors, you also realize there is no meta at big events, and the decks that do well are the decks that are safe plays, and you can counter those and go pretty far in a tourneY