New to Pokemon TCG looking for deck suggestion

Hi,

I’ve played a lot of card games and I’m now looking to pick up Pokemon TCG. My main concern about becoming invested in this game is the set rotation. I’m looking to build a competitively viable deck that upcoming set rotation will have minimal impact on. I know I will have to deal with set rotation in the future but just starting out I want something that will last me a while. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

A good deck using cards from mainly the new sets only would be passmissian/mew. Avoid the mew part if you want (it rotates out), but the deck is cheap and easy to play. If you don’t mind a little bit of money spent, try Vikavolt/Bulu, which use mainly new cards and no Pokémon about to rotate. If you are worried about rotation, play expanded, with every card since base set black and white available. You can find a few cards that are cheap in that format. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, and I hope you enjoy the game!

Mew won’t rotate this year, it is way too early. Also, Passimian is bad. Besides price, Drampa/TapuLele/Garbodor is a broken deck, and but expensive even though you don’t need Shaymin. Next season, it will be really good. As long as you don’t play Vespi this season (Sadly that won’t happen but still) you’ll be food. Make sure to pick up staples like lele, sycamore and n.

Thanks. Money isn’t really too big of an issue I just want to get cards that will last me a good while. I’ll check out the Vikavolt deck. I know about expanded but I wasn’t too sure if it was actually a real format played at premier event.s

The Drampa GX deck seemed really fun when I saw it on stream, how safe is that from rotation?

Almost all cards in the garbodor deck with drampa were very recently made. You won’t have to worry about that for a while.

Cool. Thanks again. I don’t suppose you could point me in the direction of a solid list?

There are several places great for lists! Pokemon.com has a lot of top 8 lists which can be used as a skeleton for deckbuilding purposes, otherwise youtube has a ton of lists posted for you to see the skeleton of a list at

Thanks for the help fellas. I’ll shout you all out when I win worlds next year.

I would 100% concur on the vikavolt/bulu - easy deck to use and configure to your style of play!