Mienshao FFI 57 // XY-on 2016

I was looking for a Mienshao thread and realized we needed one.

Having tested this deck vs. the field in an XY-AOR context, I can assure everyone that Mienshao is legit. This is definitely a very strong deck in Standard.

My question for the forum: To what extent will Judge affect this deck?

I could ask this question in a different way: How many Judge will be played in any given deck in an XY-BREAK environment?

Or: Does the reintroduction of Judge into Standard render Mienshao unviable?

I was not in Pokemon when Judge was last seen in the field.

I tend to think Mienshao remains strong in Standard with Judge as part of the meta, but it now requires Ultra Ball and Shaymin EX as part of the build. I welcome all intelligent input.

Will it be Judge that destroys it? Or will it be everything else that can also destroy it?

If the deck doesn’t play insane amounts of Eco Arm, and the Mienshao player isn’t careful enough w/ Focus Sash, 2 Megaphone can wreck it
If the deck doesn’t stream Hex Maniac, a 2-2 Ariados can wreck it
If the deck plays Shaymin-EX as you suggest, then Lysandre can easily wreck it
If the deck is slow to set up, it can easily die.

Mienshao is still a good deck, but its popularity is its own demise, much like Night March.

Hawlucha FFI + Strong Energy + Muscle Band + Fighting Stadium can take down Shaymin-EX.

1 Like

After some initial testing with Standard this weekend, I’d surmise that Judge will be played in every deck as a 1 of, if not 2 of. It took me roughly 5 games to realize a colossal problem with the format: there is a significant lack of hand disruption. After being so accustomed to having N as a means of making a comeback, it’s absence is hurting a lot more than I ever thought it would. Subsequently, comebacks from prize leads greater than 3 are next to impossible in Standard, save for rare cases where an opponent vastly overextends.

As a result, Judge will likely see play as a way to have consistent hand disruption at all stages of the game, unlike the too-situational Ace Trainer.

4 Likes

The bad thing about meinshao is that it has auto loss to giratina/plume, I’ve played it for the past two weeks, and at 2 league challenges there were I played against 2 of them and beat them 6-0 both time. This is because with aero turn doing a maximum of 40 (No fighting stadium, strong energy, and muscle band) and not being able to attach focus sash destroys the entire point of the deck

Judge is a staple in Standard. Moreover, Giratina will probably be a significant player in the format.

Not good news for Mienshao.

2 Likes

Yeah Giratina is gonna be very powerful in standard along with a new stadium for it to lock in it can destroy very easily with the right list

What would be good variants with Mienshao? I was thinking about Trevenant but any other ideas?

Robo Substitute and/or Wobb seems the best without ruining the decks little consistency it has.

1 Like

You don’t really need Wobbuffet except against something like Tyrantrum…Hawlucha w/ a Sash is really hard to KO.

It would just be an extra option to send up if you want to shut off fairies, Shaymin and other stuff with abilities. Personally, I just send up a Mienshao with a Sash on it (I’m pretty sure that’s what most people do :stuck_out_tongue: )

Usually for me it’s either Hawlucha or if I’m not scared at all, Mienfoo.

1 Like

I’ve never touched on Mienshao until now and I’m very interested in the card and how it plays. I have a list, I’d like some help it because like I said, I’ve never touched on the deck before. Here it is:

Pokémon: 12
4 Mienfoo
4 Mienshao
4 Hawlucha
Trainer: 40
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Korrina
2 Professor Birch’s Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Judge
4 Level Ball
4 Focus Sash
4 Robo Substitute
4 VS Seeker
3 Enhanced Hammer
2 Eco Arm
2 Muscle Band
1 Professor’s Letter
3 Fighting Stadium
Energy: 8
4 Strong Energy
4 Fighting Energy

My list is pretty similar, basically I find the goal is to try to not lose…

Pokemon: 10
4 Mienfoo
4 Mienshao
2 Hawlucha

Trainers: 43
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Korrina
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
1 Lysandre
4 VS Seeker
4 Level Ball
4 Robo Substitute
4 Trainer’s Mail
3 Eco Arm
2 Sacred Ash
2 Professor’s Letter
2 Battle Compressor
4 Focus Sash
2 Fighting Stadium
2 Silent Lab

Energy: 7
4 Strong Energy
3 Fighting Energy

I like to include the silent labs as they can really hamper your opponent if they can’t counter it right away. I’m not 100% on the inclusion of the battle compressors, but I wanted to try to improve ways to get to a Sycamore/Korrina turn 1. As well as i find it useful to discard the cruft you don’t need once you are rolling (err… turning).

You’re right about similar. I agree with a lot of things. I thought that Hex Maniac would be a good addition, for A. shut down Hawlucha (sometimes) B. It’s a great card to have for standard anyway. Speaking of Hawlucha,I think 3 or 4 is necessary, not 2.

Yes, hex maniac would be a great addition (more versatile way to accomplish what I am trying to do with the silent labs). I am not sure I agree with 4 Hawlucha, but I could definitely see 3. While my testing has been limited, I find that what you really want is to leave your bench in a state that doesn’t allow your opponent to take a prize. That means everything on the bench is a Robo Sub or has a focus sash on it.

Hawlucha I mainly use as a pivot (and situational attacker) so I don’t think he justifies a 4 of in this style of Mienshao. My goal when i play this deck is to make my opponent attack 8+ times to take their first prize.

That said, my testing has been limited, as I find this deck a bit of a bore (albeit a strong bore) to play…

I know exactly what you mean. That’s what I try to do as well when I play the deck, to leave everything on the bench with a focus sash. But for example. To one shot Mega Manectric, you need Hawlucha, strong energy, muscle band, fighting stadium, and hex maniac. So sometimes I’ll throw down the Hawlucha and all of that just to hit really heavily. The battle compressors will help support this even more.

Sure, I guess it will take more testing on my part to see if I find it valuable to make that 1 shot more consistently, or if the 2 shot aero turn (with just the strong energy or fighting stadium out) is good enough. I see your point though.

Hey, I am going to an XY-AOR tourney today and thought Mienshao would be strong. Here is my list:

4 Mienfoo
4 Mienshao
4 Hawlucha
Pokemon: 12

4 Professor Sycamore
4 Korrina
1 Birch’s Observations
1 Lysandre
4 VS Seeker
4 Robo Substitute
4 Focus Sash
3 Eco Arm
2 Fighting Stadium
1 Professor’s Letter
2 Slient Lab/1 More Fighting Stadium and 1 Silent Lab
3 Trainer’s Mail
4 Level Ball
Trainers: 37

4 Strong Energy
3/4 Fighting Energy
Energy: 7/8

I still would have a couple spots open i dont know what to put in. I am thinking of upping the mailbox count to 4 and the Letter count to 2, after that, i dont know, please give advice, the tournament is at 6:00. I need to be able to turn in the list by 5:00 pm. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Cut one Hawlucha for an extra mailbox. Also stick with 2 lab and play 4 fighting. Add an energy retrieval and you don’t need 3 eco. Second Lysandre could help too