Malamar EX-Good or bad?

Malamar-EX. Good or bad?
For those of you who keep up with the card scans, we’ve had some discussion on what the Pokémon-EX from Phantom Gate are, and how they will be. Mega Manectric has already been discussed, Gengar will be good with Trevanant to succeed Accelgor, regular Manectric will be used purely to evolve into Mega Manectric, and mega Gengar probably won’t see much play at all. But there are two other Pokémon-EX in the set, Malamar and Florges. Let’s talk about Malamar. Its ability lets you put your opponent to sleep every time you attach an energy to it, and its attack, [which has the best attack name EVER!!] CalamariMAX, for two energy, has you flip a coon for each energy attached to Malamar, doing 60 damage for each heads. What do you think?

It’s decently going to be good but it might be more used as tech than have its own deck around it.

I’m sure it will be abused in Aromatisse. Just attach the energy to Malamar and use Fairy Transfer to move it to where you need it to go.

It could Partner M-Manectric, but it would have to abuse the heck out of Shadow Circle to di it.

The ability is interesting and good, but that’s about all I see it being used for. You need 3 energy on it for it to OHKO EXs, and that’s assuming you hit all heads. It would be better in expanded with Dark Patch and Fliptini, but by that time I’d rather play Yveltal. I suppose you could partner it with Hydreigon but I don’t think it’s worth it.

Fliptini is in Legendary treasures

I think Malamar EX may be a replacement for Munna in the Munna/Ninetales deck. The card just says energy (basic or special). I mean a guaranteed double status effect is Ninetales’s dream. This is in Extended of course. BCR-on I think it’s useless.

Ability: Powerful Hypnosis
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokemon, you may use this Ability. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

If would be most likely used as a bench sitter in Aromatisse, or Hydriegion. The attack should only ever be used as a last ditch.

Ability kicks in when you attach from the hand, so plan on making all of your attachments to Malamar in a dark or fairy transfer deck, then moving them. Otherwise, it’s a pretty worthless EX imo.

several new Darkness EX pokemon are coming in phantom forces, I am wondering whether I should try out a darkness deck. (I am referring to Malamar EX, and Absol EX.)

As to Malamar’s ability:

Ability: Powerful Hypnosis
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokemon, you may use this Ability. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

If there was an attack that said something along the lines of “30 damage and search your deck for an energy and attach it to one of your benched pokemon” it could totally abuse his ability.
Actually, pretty much any deck can abuse the ability. It doesn’t specify a type, after all. Combined with Energy switch, you could easily attach one energy, and then energy switch it to another pokemon.

If Malamar was combined with Blastoise,Hydreigon (Dark Trance) or Emboar, the deck could easily put the defending pokemon to sleep each turn, either by using one of its attachments or attaching a [D] and then switching it to another pokemon using Dark Trance.

In summary,
If you use the card right, it could definitely be annoying.

nope that doesn’t work

missed that, sorry! … :smile:

It’s a huge buff to those decks I tried it in hydriegon and got 3rd at a cities when I thought I was going to do it as a joke deck I only lost to one person (seismitoad garbodor) but that’s because I didn’t play a single yveltal EX in there I may post the list because it’s a really fun list

Please do! I’ve been toying with that idea myself. :smiley:

Malamar EX too me seems more like a deck you bring to a place as a joke. Darkness has only 1 form of energy acceleration, and it relies on energy in the discard pile. So, it’s O.K.