M Tyranitar-EX Variants // XY-on 2016

From Pojo:
“You win if you take your last Prize or if your opponent can’t replace his or her Knocked Out Pokémon with one from his or her Bench. But it might happen that both players “win” in one of these ways at the same time. If this happens, play Sudden Death. But if you win in both ways and your opponent wins in only one way, you win!”

Check out Steve Guthrie’s T-Tar Variant on his channel (Worldrenonwedheretic); it is very interesting as it uses Absol, and no bats.

I’m yelling at deck lists again, so I should probably go to bed, but here I am…

I’m currently playing M Tyranitar, and this is the deck I’ve built so far. I find it’s fairly consistent in the beginning, but slows down later, which can be annoying.

3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Tyranitar EX
2 Shaymin EX
2 baby Yveltal XY
2 baby Yveltal BREAKthrough

4 Shauna
2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 AZ
1 Ace Trainer
1 Lysandre
1 Giovanni’s Scheme
1 Skyla

2 Shadow Circle or Team Magma’s Secret Base

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Mega Turbo
3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
3 Heavy Boots
3 Battle Compressor
2 Switch

4 DCE
8 Dark energy

I’m currently flipping between Shadow Circle and Secret Base, partially because I don’t have the cards for Shadow Circle yet and partially because I can’t tell if Secret Base does anything for me in the long run. Shadow Circle is supposed to make the weaknesses on the baby Yveltal and Shaymin more stable due to new baby Yveltal’s ability.

Thoughts?

Hard Charm is much better than Heavy Boots. Also:
-4 Shauna
-2 Fan Club
-1 Ace Trainer
+4 Sycamore
+2 Birch
+1 Judge

Why is it much better than Heavy Boots, outside of the Mienshao matchup?

@bluezune, thanks for the addition suggestions. I don’t have Birch, so I’m probably going to replace those with Shauna instead.

What’s a Mienshao matchup? I only started playing in August, so I’m not completely caught up on all the terms yet.

The matchup between this deck and Mienshao.dec (the standard Mienshao deck, which is defined very loosely by the community).

Hard Charm, from what I can tell, would only be useful when placing it onto an Yveltal (non-EX), given that you will never put it onto a Shaymin-EX (outside of rare circumstances). You would only ever do this (from what I can tell), when you play against Mienshao.dec, which, due to Yveltal’s resistance to Fighting and the Hard Charm, will make Mienshao’s damage 0 without Strong Energy.

Welcome to the game, feel free to PM me about anything!

Because you consistently take 20 damage off each attack they do. Once the HP boost from Heavy Boots is gone, its really gone until you heal.

Ex.
A pokemon keeps doing 80 base damage a turn to a Wailord ex
With Hard Charm:
T1 60 damage
T2 120 damage on Wailord
T3 180 damage on Wailord
T4 240 damage on Wailord
T5 K.O. Wailord

With Heavy Boots:
T1 80
T2 160
T3 240
T4 K.O. Wailord
I hope this proved my point a little bit at least…

1 Like

Oh, right yeah…I was being dumb, thinking Hard Charm was Giant Cape.

Okay, so basically the only times I’ve been able to properly play test this deck is at league challenges, which is probably not ideal, but whatever. I can’t tell if I’m a bad player, or if this deck is just not the best which is annoying. I lost four, and technically won one on a bye with this list:

3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Tyranitar EX
2 Shaymin EX
3 Yveltal
1 Absol

2 Team Magma’s Secret Base

4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
1 AZ
2 Lysandre
1 Skyla
1 Judge

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Mega Turbo
3 Tyranitar Spirit Links
3 Float Stone
3 Trainer’s Mail
2 Battle Compressor
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Switch

8 darkness energy
4 DCE

I’m going to play this list tomorrow with the following changes and see how it does:

-1 Absol
-2 Float Stone
-1 DCE

+1 Giovanni’s Scheme
+1 Skyla
+1 Shadow Circle
+1 darkness energy

Thoughts?

How are you planning to get damage moved around to take KOs??? I recommend 2 Absol, no skyla. Also, why Giovanni?? It doesnt do anything for the deck.

1 Like

Partially no Absol because I usually can’t find him to be able to move the damage around. He didn’t do anything for me when I played with him last night. But I can take the Giovanni’s Scheme out and put the Absol back in.

1 Like

-1 Absol
-1 Lysandre
-2 Skyla
-1 Float Stone
-1 Giovanni
-2 Team Magma Base
-2 Dark
-1 Spirit Link

+3-3 Forretress
+2 Shadow Circle
+2 Assault Vest
+1 T-Mail
+11

I’ve said this in the past, but I firmly believe that Forretress is the best partner for T-Tar. Also, Assault Vest is really good in this deck. Also, at the LC, what did you lose to?

No, really, Skyla Does nothing,

3-2 M Tyranitar EX
2 Shaymin EX
3 Yveltal
2 Absol
1 Yveltal EX (13)

2 Sky field (2)

4 Professor Sycamore
1 Birch
1 az
2 lysandre
1 Hex maniac (9)

4 ultra ball
4 vs seeker
3 mega turbo
2 tyranitar spirit link
2 float stone
1 assault vest (to beat groudon + gallade)
2 Trainer’s mail
2 battle compressor
1 professor’s letter
1 escape rope (instead of switch because it can get groudon out before they decide to KO your tyranitar) (22)

8 Dark Energy
4 DCE (12)

This list is what I have seen do good at past LCs I have been to. It has a Yveltal EX that has the potential to OHKO groudon with evil ball. It has an e-rope to “catcher” out groudon, because it goes through barrier. Also, Absol is needed to break focus sashes on Lucario-EX. The acro bikes are because it gets darks in discard for oblivion wing, and because it can put supporters for VS Seeker. The Assault vest is AMAZING as @bluezune has said. It makes HAVE to have a stadium to beat you, not just 1 strong and no stadium. It REALLY helps against Gallade BKT because you can make him have to have a Muscle Band to OHKO you, 60 base+70 if he played supporter=130 x 2 = 260-40 from assault vest=220, done.

That is WAY too small. I would go 3-2 at the least. Also, Trainer’s Mail is highly superior to Acro Bike in this kind of deck. You have Battle Compressor, Sycamore, and Ultra Ball as all great outs to get darks in the discard.

1 Like

I lost to a random fun list because the guy’s cards didn’t come in and I ran out of Pokemon on my bench; a new Mewtwo EX deck because he set up his M Mewtwo and Lysandred up two Tyranitar and a Shaymin to knock them out at 200 HP each; another random deck, I think, which had a Pikachu which I took out and then got destroyed by the Stunfisk and had no other Pokemon other than my starting Tyranitar; and a Mienshao deck, which I did okay-ish against but eventually lost to.

I was also running on three hours of sleep after having worked eight hours, which didn’t help either.

But tomorrow is another league challenge, so we’ll see how I do tomorrow.

I edited the previous list, it should look really good now, go try it tomorrow @BookJunkie007

@bkeldeo Missed seeing this before I got to my league challenge today, unfortunately, so didn’t have a chance to test it.

Lost four and won one properly today at LC. Lost to a Lucario/fairy tool box thing that the guy made on the bus on the way to the event; a Zoroark BREAK deck; a Gengar EX deck that I have trouble with during regular league days when he plays me because he removes all my energy, or if he didn’t do that, I would deck myself out trying to get set up; and a Lucario/Bats deck which I made an epic misplay against and forgot to put down my Yveltal after I’d AZ’d it.

Part of the thing is I have no idea what to play because even though my city has an active Pokemon league community (there’s a league for every day of the week), no one here cares about the meta. People play literally whatever they want when they participate in challenges, so Cities this coming weekend will be interesting.

I did acquire some Bats today with the Darkrai vs Mewtwo battle arena decks, so I just have to find some legal Zubats and I can put them in my deck for Cities this coming weekend if my Forretress and other stuff doesn’t get here by Friday (the waiting game with the post service is a wonderful thing).

List for today’s LC:

3 M Tyranitar EX
2 Tyranitar EX
2 Shaymin EX
2 Yveltal XY
1 Yveltal BKT
1 Absol

2 Team Magma’s Secret Base
1 Shadow Circle

4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
1 Skyla
2 Lysandre
1 AZ
1 Judge

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
1 Assault Vest
1 Float Stone
3 Mega Turbo
3 Trainer’s Mail
2 Battle Compressor
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Switch

9 dark energy
3 DCE

I don’t know too much about this deck, but just as an outsider looking in and having played against someone using this deck yesterday at cities, I just think this deck needs that Dark Patch support. And, if you try to play without it, needing to maximize Mega Turbos and DCE is your next best way. Regardless, it’s not an easy deck to get going right now without those Dark Patches, Darkrai-EX and Free Flight Zubat (not the biggest concern).