M Scizor EX, Garbodor BKP // PRC-on 2017

This deck deals quick damage and disruption very consistently due to its low energy costs. It counters many decks that rely on Stadiums, Abilities or Special Energy and has generally solid matchups, with the exception of Volcanion.

My current list:

3 M Scizor-EX (BKP 77)
1 Hoopa-EX (XYP 71)
2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
4 Scizor-EX (BKP 76)
2 Trubbish (BKP 56)
2 Garbodor (BKP 57)

9 Metal Energy

2 Lysandre
4 Crushing Hammer
3 N
2 Mega Turbo
4 Scizor Spirit Link
1 Super Rod
2 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers’ Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Parallel City
2 Reverse Valley

I’ve been debating on whether to include Shield Energy and/or a second Parallel City.

Thoughts?

Don’t include Shield Energy it’s not that great in this deck, and take out the 3rd N and put in that 2nd Parallel City because Mega Ray doesn’t like Parallel.

I play 4 shield energy in my build, and while questionable, it seems to work without destroying consistency or anything.

It hurts the mirror match, for sure.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I quite agree with your stance on Shield Energy. I did quite a bit of testing the last 2 days with it in my build, and while it makes the mirror hard, you turn Volcanion from basically an autoloss into something that’s quite winnable. Along with PCL as a tech, I really highly suggest it, especially with the recent popularity OF Volcanion. If you don’t expect Volcanion, I’m not sure I’d put it in, but if you live in an area where it’s known to be around, I would test with it. I only use 3 so as to keep the mirror winnable.

However, OP definitely needs at least 2 Parallel City, not just for Mega Ray, but also for Volcanion because that damage reduction is quite relevant. I personally go with 3 in my build.

Here’s a bit of a skeleton for anyone that’s interested.

Pokémon - 13

2 Shaymin-EX
4 Scizor-EX
3 M Scizor-EX
2 Trubbish BKP 56
2 Garbodor BKP 57

Trainer Cards - 30

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Trainers’ Mail
3 N
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Scizor Spirit Link
2 Float Stone
2 Parallel City
2 Mega Turbo
1 Giovanni’s Scheme
1 Lysandre
1 Super Rod
1 Level Ball

Energy - 8-9

8-9 in any combination of Metal Energy and Shield Energy.

Total Cards - 51-52

UPDATE: Corrected for the 4th Scizor. Pretty much mandatory, don’t know why I had it at 3 to begin with.

With Reverse Valley + Shield energy you can make the mirror match a 3 hit.

And that’s also what Magearna is for.

Can’t use Magearna with Garbodor, though.

IMO 4-4-3 Scizor is required in the skeleton, you want to start it as much as possible and get your links consistently.

Aight, I’m gonna correct this stigma right here, because I hear this a lot and no one ever corrects it. It was a lesson I had to learn with Darkrai/Garbodor in 2013, and it’s something no one ever actually teaches people.

You do not have to use everything in every matchup. That’s part of being a well-rounded deck – having answers for more than one situation. In the mirror, you don’t need Garbodor. Your opponent will likely see this as well, and setting it up will take a backseat for them too. Don’t need Magearna? Don’t use it in that matchup.

As for Reverse Valley vs. Parallel, I still think Parallel is better overall because without it, you still die to Volcanion without most of your Shield Energy being on a single Scizor, plus it’s a good tech against MegaRay and other decks as well.

I would argue that 4 Scizor Links are not mandatory at all. Plenty of very successful Scizor lists only run 3. As for the 4th Scizor-EX, yeah, that’s an error on my part, and I should update it.

2 Likes

It’s true that you don’t have to play the Garbodor, but your opponent shouldn’t have trouble playing it himself. I don’t think it’s wise to counter a matchup with a card that that deck counters, if that makes sense.

Let’s correct this one.

Reverse Valley + Shield Energy = -20
120 - 20 = 100
100x2 = 200

It will still be a 3 hit, simply because the first two attacks deal less than 110

1 Like

Shoot, I’m an idiot. I was thinking 4 hit for some reason. Thanks!

You’re in a mirror match as a Garbodor deck, and you know this.
Thus you know that your opponent likely has no relevant abilities and setting up a Garbodor is probably a waste of time.
How likely are you to waste resources getting a Garbodor out immediately in this scenario? Not likely, I’d bet.

In the mirror as well, if the OPPONENT is playing Magearna+Shield Energy, they’re less likely to set up Garbodor themselves as well.

So ONLY if you’re playing Magearna+Shields and they are not and know this early are they going to have a Garbodor set up in enough time to matter. After all, if you don’t NEED Garbodor, why even waste resources setting it up?

1 Like

I honestly think that Garbodor just slows the deck down. right now, I am testing with 2 hex maniac, and 2 silent lab, and it works pretty well.

1 Like

I don’t think the Silent Lab is necessary if you’re running 2 Hex. It will probably just end up getting discarded in the first turns because you still want the option of Shaymin/Hoopa. Hex is a much better card in my opinion because it can’t bite you in the butt the next turn when you need some extra draw. Besides, one of the main reasons not to run Garb is space.

2 Likes

that’s true, I haven’t thought of it that way.

This deck won’t be taken to any events so that’s why I’m not running Shaymin EX.

Monsters:12
4 Scizor EX
3 Mega Scizor EX
1 Hoopa EX
2 Trubbish
2 Garbodor
Trainers:39
4 VS Seeker
1 Pokemon Center Lady
2 Trainer’s Mail
2 Float Stone
2 Mega Turbo
3 Crushing Hammer
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Ultra Ball
2 Lysandre
1 Enhanced Hammer
1 Team Flare Grunt
3 Parallel City
3 N
1 Escape Rope
1 Hex Maniac
3 Scizor Spirit Link
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Super Rod
Energy:9
Metal Energy

I’m just getting in the game so go easy on me. Like I said just a local thing that’s why no Shaymin EX. Thanks!

Always run 3 Trainers’ Mail, so take out the 3rd Parallel City, then take out the Enhanced Hammer and put in either a 4th Crushing Hammer or another Team Flare Grunt. Then take out an N and put in Karen.

Sounds like a good idea thanks!

Why Karen? It doesn’t really have a use in this deck other than countering Vespiquen and is that really enough of a threat to sacrifice consistency for?

1 Like