M Sceptile-EX Variants // XY-on 2016

For Mega Sceptile-EX variants.

Pokemon 15
4-4 Mega Sceptile Ex (2-2 split between tin and pack non-mega Ex)
3 Trevenant Ex
4 Shaymin Ex

Supporters 10
4 Sycamore
2 Birch
1 Shauna
2 Lysandre
1 Teammates

Stadium 3
3 giant plants

Items 20
4 Ultra ball
2 Battle compressor
4 Muslce Band
2 Switch
3 Spirit link
4 Mega Turbo

Energy 12
12 Grass Energy

1. I don’t really see the point in running the promo, as you aren’t going to be using Strong Slash, Unseen Claw makes the case for why to use the non-promo Sceptile-EX over the promo one, as with poison from Ariados AOR (more about this below), you one-shot the main non-EXs (Baby Xerneas, Baby Yveltal, Baby Landorus, Heatran, Excadrill (?), etc.) of XY-on w/o having to mega-evolve (and sometimes, Mega-Evolving won’t oneshot).
  2. Ariados AOR adds in some key damage…it allows you to two-shot a MManectric if they can’t find a Rough Seas, it one-shots a Shaymin-EX, and most importantly, it acts as a near-universal PlusPower that you can activate every single turn. That is incredibly good, just for a Stage 1.
  3. I don’t really know why you aren’t playing any Lugia-EX, as from what we’ve learned from Mewtwo-EX is that X Ball style attacks are AMAZING combined with energy acceleration. It also add in some clutch early game damage as you’re just setting up the board. It can hit 40 T1 w/ a DCE, 60 w/ a DCE and a Muscle Band, and 70 with a DCE, Muscle Band and an Ariados (assuming you have Broken Vine Space out)
  4. Why a 4-4 Sceptile line? It seems a little excessive, and I’d recommend running a 4-3 to start out with, maybe cutting it down to a 3-3 w/ 2 spirit links as time goes by, and if it works out better like that in testing.
  5. What’s the use for 3 Trevenants? You aren’t going to be using 3 Trevenants every game, assuming that they kill a MSceptile each game.
  6. 4 Shaymin-EX seems a little excessive even in speed decks (this doesn’t look like one). Most testing has held to somewhere between 1 and 3 Shaymins in a deck, with 1 in decks like Wobbuffet (if any), or decks that focus on non-EXs, and 3 Shaymins in decks like Mega Ray and Raichu, where it’s all about filling up the bench.
  7. 10 Supporters w/ no VS Seekers seems INCREDIBLY low. Common wisdom puts most supporter counts at ~12-14 w/ a few VS Seekers, typically around 15-16 Supporters+VS Seekers. Yes, I know they’re bad, but they’re better than having a Supporter drought. Try a few more Birch or Shauna, maybe an Ace Trainer or two. Definitely add in some VS Seekers, its one of the best cards in the game.
  8. Running Teammates doesn’t seem like it would be that good in an EX deck, as grabbing two cards can sometimes be too little, too late. It is also hard to grab it w/o any VS Seekers.
  9. I don’t really like Battle Compressor in M-Sceptile unless you’re going w/ some sort of Battle Compressor+Tech supporters+VS Seeker+Energy+Mega Turbo, it just kind of clunks up the deck.
  10. 4 Muscle Band seems a little much, as you’ll probably only attack w/ 2 Sceptiles and 2 Trevs, and you’ll only want it on the Trevs. I’d go down to 3 at max, 2 at min.
  11. 4 Mega turbo is a little much in a deck w/ such great energy acceleration, unless you’re doing a funky thing w/ Mega Turbo+Energy Switch as a form of acceleration
  12. I’d recommend a Professor’s letter or two, maybe 2 Energy Retrievals or an Energy Recycler just to keep the Energy flowing between the deck, your hand, and the discard.
  13. I’d recommend a DCE or two, just to fuel a Trevenant 1 turn early, or rescue a Shaymin, or get a Sceptile w/ a Head Ringer out of a jam. Nothing crazy like a playset, just 1-3.

First off thanks for the in depth reply. Its been very helpful. I hadn’t thought of Ariados. Would you recommend any more than a 2-2 line?

Pokemon 16
3-3 Mega Sceptile Ex (2-2 split between tin and pack non-mega Ex)
2 Trevenant Ex
2 Shaymin Ex
2-2 Ariados
2 lugia Ex

Supporters 9
4 Sycamore
2 Birch
1 Shauna
2 Lysandre

Stadium 3
3 giant plants

Items 19
4 Ultra ball
1 Battle compressor
3 Muslce Band
2 Switch
2 Spirit link
2 Mega Turbo
3 Vs Seeker
2 Prof letter

Energy 12
10 Grass Energy
2 DCE

One open space. Unsure if I should put another vs Seeker or perhaps another supporter.

Mega Sceptile

Pokémon: 14
3 Sceptile EX ANO
3 M Sceptile EX
1 Virizion ANO
2 Lugia EX
2 Seismitoad EX
1 Shaymin EX
1 Hoopa EX ANO
1 Ariados ANO
1 Spinarak ANO

Energy: 11
7 Grass
4 DCE

Trainer: 33
3 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
1 Professor’s Letter
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
3 Sceptile Spirit Link
3 Muscle Band
4 Trainers’ Mail
1 Energy Retrieval
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor Birch’s Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Ace Trainer
1 Hex Maniac
2 Giant Plant Forest
1 Silent Lab

Grass-Heavy

Pokémon: 14
3 Sceptile EX ANO
3 M Sceptile EX
2 Virizion ANO
2 Spinarak ANO
2 Ariados ANO
1 Hoopa EX ANO
1 Shaymin EX

Energy: 11
11 Grass

Trainer: 35
4 Ultra Ball
1 Level Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Energy Retrieval
3 Trainers’ Mail
3 Sceptile Spirit Link
1 Professor’s Letter
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac
3 Professor Birch’s Observations
4 Giant Plant Forest

I am most definietly a fan of the 2nd list more however i see no point in playing giant forest because you dont need to become mega sceptile on your first turn, first of all if you go first you wont even be able to attack so theres essentially no point and the you really dont need ariados turn 1 either i do however think silent lab would be n excellent stadium for the deck maybe not 4 but 2 or 3 would be a solid number and i feel lugia is also a great choice since you can attach 2 energy every turn to it with sceptile powering it up for easy Ohkos but honestly i am a huge fan of the 2nd list nice jobđź‘Ť

These were my real rough starting lists lol. None of these card counts are perfect, as I’m keeping my edited and tested lists secret. Those are just meant to be starting points for players who don’t know where to start. Thanks for the feedback!

How about going defensive with a thick line of Floette FLF 64 to give M Sceptile-EX a better chance of surviving things like Emerald Break?

That sounds like a good idea.

3-3 Sceptile
3-3 Floette
etc, etc.

First off youd probably play a 2-2 line and thats 4 space thats just meh not even good and its an easy target

If you’re not running mega turbo, why GPF? I don’t think it’s worth unless you want to cut spirit links for some reason.

These are old lists, I’d probably play silent lab. At the moment. GPF is sort of a default because of how relevant stadium wars are.

I played this with VG, i recommend it, it isnt s clunky as you think.

But this is the xy-on thread sooooooooooooo cant play with vg

I was saying I recommend it, it depends on the players playing style though.

Here’s what I got so far:

17 Pokemon:
3 Sceptile-EX
3 M Sceptile-EX
3 Shaymin-EX
2 Spinarak
2 Ariados
1 Hoopa-EX
1 Virizion (AO)
1 Illumise (PC)
1 Trevenant-EX

32 Trainer:
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Shauna
1 Professor Birch
1 Lysandre
1 Ace Trainer
1 Hex Maniac

3 VS Seeker
3 Ultra Ball
3 Sceptile Spirit Link
2 Professor’s Letter
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Sacred Ash
1 Megaphone

2 Shrine of Memories
2 Forest of Giant Plants

11 Grass Energy

Fisherman reprint in the next set makes me happy :slight_smile:

Here’s my list:

Pokemon (13):
Sceptile-EX, 4
MSceptile-EX, 4
Lugia-EX, 2
Shaymin-EX, 1
Spinarak, 1
Ariados, 1

Trainers (35):
Trainer’s Mail, 4
Tool Retriever, 2
Sceptile Spirit link, 3
Xerosic, 3
Professor Birch’s Observations, 4
Tierno, 4
Lysandre, 2
Broken Vinespace, 3
Muscle Band, 4
Ultra Ball, 4

Energy (14):
Grass Energy, 10
DCE, 4

I was also thinking about Crobat + Super Scoop Up, and maybe reducing Sceptile to 3-3 in favor of a 2-2 ariados line.

(P. S. I’ve never actually played in a competitive tournament with my own deck. Just an AOR prerelease!)

Xerosic is at an insanely high counts, even most disruption decks just run 2 if necessary, normally 1 w/ 4 VS Seekers. I’d recommending swapping your Tiernos for Sycamores, as Tierno just doesn’t draw enough cards. I’d also recommend upping your count of Shaymin-EX, because our draw supporters are garbage in this format, finally, a few VS Seekers to reuse the Lysandre, Birch, Sycamore, and Xerosic.

Thanks! I toned Xerosic down to 1, added a Lysandre, Swapped Tierno for Sycamore and removed one, and added 4 Vs Seeker. I’d use more Shaymin, however I only have one and while not having a card is no excuse to not be playing it, I’d like to be able to have the cards to play (I’m missing a Lugia, Sceptile, and ALL FOUR MSceptiles). Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated. :smiley:

EDIT: I just rechecked my list a realized that I might have enough room for a 2-2 Ariados line, only problem being I don’t want a Spinarak as my only starting basic, and the second ariados would be useless barring Ultra Ball discard fodder. Is this a good idea?

There’s not a single Mega deck that runs 4-4. Perhaps a 4-3, but not a 4-4.
You can reduce it and run a 3-3 of Sceptile-Mega Sceptile and be fine, and make it 3 Spirit Links.

Alright! Thanks for the advice. I have a Text folder with my list. I’ll test and see if 4-3 or 3-3 is better.