M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76 Variants // XY-on 2016

This thread is for discussion of M Rayquaza-EX decks and variants (the colorless Sky High Pokémon) in the 2015-16 standard format. Doesn’t matter what you talk about; if it is in any way related to M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76/105, you are free to post it here. Here is my version of the Metal Rayquaza deck that I’ve found to be quite consistent; decklist courtesy of my PTCGO export:

Pokémon - 22

4 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
3 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75
2 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 105
1 M Rayquaza-EX AOR 98
3 Bronzong PHF 61
3 Bronzor PHF 60
2 Hoopa-EX AOR 89
1 Swablu ROS 73
1 Altaria ROS 74
1 Aegislash-EX PHF 65
1 Heatran PHF 63

Trainer Cards - 29

4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
3 Professor Birch’s Observations PRC 134
2 Lysandre FLF 104
1 AZ PHF 91
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
3 Trainers’ Mail ROS 92
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link ROS 87
2 Mega Turbo ROS 86
2 Ultra Ball ROS 93
1 Switch PRC 163
3 Sky Field ROS 89

Energy - 9

5 Metal Energy XY 139
4 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

You don’t need mega turbo, and the AOR M Ray is just bad. I’d do

-1 M Ray AOR
+1 M Ray ROS

-2 Mega Turbo
+1 Switch
+1 Escape Rope

-1 PBO
+1 Ace Trainer

I really like 1 Hoopa in all Ray builds moving forward, it really helps when you have a spirit link and an ultra ball.

1 Like

Maybe even 2 if you want.

As im building a Mega Ray Deck, i want to know how good we think this deck is in the current metagame. It doesn’t seem like it has a lot of bad matchups outside of Night March, which can be worked around with Alteria removing weakness, Aegislash blocking Special energies, or higher counts of non ex attackers like Heatran, and Manectric which you can also use Alteria for, and if that’s knocked out resort to you steel attackers.

A purely speed M Rayquaza deck took top 4 at a regionals this weekend. It used 2 Hoopa to flood the bench, and the only draw supporters were 1 N and 1 Colress. I didn’t see the list, but I imagine it ran maxed out counts of Shaymin, Trainers’ Mail, and Acro Bike (maybe some bicycle and roller skates in there too). It looks like metal Ray doesn’t really have what it takes to thrive in this metagame atm.

^ This however is not good, as this is a standard thread. (N, Colress)

Also for standard format the item heavy deck I wouldn’t recommend, Toad is still a popular deck.
Supporters all the way for me.

I also agree with Mega Turbo, you don’t really need it with the speed of the metal engine.
I prefer cards that make a situation better, like Switch, Escape Rope to take easy prizes and horrible Lysandre (Hoopa)

I also think 1-1 Altaria is necessary for Vespiquen, Night March and Raichu mirror, not forgetting Manetric.

How are people balancing draw supporters?
Birch, Shauna, Tierno, Sycamore? What are you using since Shaymin is the best supporter in this deck?

1 Like

Honestly item-heavy is the way to go. Toad isn’t very strong in standard, and when it is used, it’s a starter, not something to base a deck around. Metal Rayquaza is far inferior to the turbo variant in standard, due to the lack of utility without Keldeo, making mega turbo the way to go.

2 Likes

I didn’t see it was standard, but even still I don’t think metal quaza is the play. Manectric ex is much stronger due to the limited options in standard (not to mention jolteon and raichu), and bronzong variants can’t really get altaria and bronzong out consistently. You should be focusing on outspeeding your opponent.

Additionally, seismitoad isn’t really a threat in standard, and certainly not without laserbank supporting it. Like mentioned above, losing keldeo is brutal to bronzong as well. I don’t think rayquaza is amazing in standard, but if I were to play it, a turbo variant is much better than bronzong variants.

Were the only supporters the 1 N and 1 Colress, or were there other Supporters?

The variant I’m a fan of is a bit unorthodox, but I did take it to first place in a few league challenges. It is a mix between Metal Ray and Turbo Ray, utilizing both Bronzong PHF and Mega Turbo in order to have both a strong turn one and strong mid- to late-game plays. It also utilizes M Rayquaza-EX AOR as both a surprise factor and a way to heal off damage from basic Rays. It is similar to the list in the first post, but there are a few changes made to it to help improve consistency.

1 Like

N and Colress were the only consistency supporters.

What do people tend to run in the Turbo deck? I’ve only been using 4/4 M-Ray and 4 Shaymin, but what else do people use?

I also imagine Hoopa EX should be run, 1 or 2 copies?

The metal engine can actually be quite slow, as there are gonna be turns where you whiff set-up. Also, more Pokemon allows for fewer turbo items.

Me, I use just 4 Sycamore/4 Birch. Call me crazy, but I haven’t found anything better to run.

Apologies if it it sounded I knew everything and was being a smart arse, I really don’t.
I’m new to this game and have only ever played online, this is the variant I know.

I would be much grateful if I can also find a build that allows faster set up for big knockouts.

There is so many variants of ray its unreal, I suppose you guys are right about toad now, with virbank and laster rotated out etc.

Worst matchup Night march/Vespiquen?
I would love to learn more about this, im like a sponge.

:smiley:

It’s okay, you didn’t seem to come off as mean (at least not to me). Welcome to the Pokémon TCG!

The fastest build of which I know is a turbo Ray variant that utilizes Rayquaza-EX 60 and Reshiram ROS in order to accelerate energy onto the base Rayquaza, then M Evolve, attach DCE, retreat through Hydreigon-EX, and attacking for mass damage. This variant prefers to go second, which is also unique.

Good luck on your journey to become a Pokémon Master (although Pokémon PhD is a much better position)! I hope you gain much useful insight on your way.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot buddy, I was just getting used to the meta game etc to feel confident before I take on the big wide world.
Former competitive player of yugioh at the highest level. (kinda still but wanna focus on pokemon)
Time to try something new, which only comes in time.
Ray has been my favourite pokemon, so I thought if you love your deck its a good way to start.
Thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

It really does help…it’s like trying to memorize a song, it helps if you like it.

What do people say to this Turbo Ray Pokemon line?

4 M-Rayquaza EX ROS 76
4 Rayquaza EX ROS 75
4 Shaymin-EX
2 Hoopa EX

Nah, normally like 4-3, 3-3 or 3-2 Ray, 3-4 Shaymin-EX, 1-2 Hoopa-EX.
4 MRays are just too many, you’ll never use all of them.
4 Shaymin-EX is contested, as you tend to get your hand clogged w/ them.

After that, it’s just a matter of what you want.
You can have like a 2-2 Bronzong+2 Aegislash-EX+1 Heatran; 2 Hawlucha and a Lucario-EX, 2 Lugia-EX, 2-2 MManectric-EX; 2-2 Ariados+1 Virizion; really just whatever you want.
Another popular thing is 1-1 or 2-2 Altaria if you think you’ll face a few Manectrics, or you could throw in a few Raichu XYs or a small Crobat line (3-3-2 or 3-2-2…)