Lugia-EX Variants // BCR-on

The goal of Lugia-EX decks is to power up a Lugia-EX and quickly take all six Prizes, preferably in two three-prize attacks. Here’s a sample list that I’ve been playing this format, based on one that several Florida players (myself included) played last format.

—Pokémon (10)—
4 Deoxys-EX
3 Lugia-EX
2 Thundurus-EX
1 Toxicroak-EX

—Trainer (38)—
4 Professor Juniper
2 N
2 Colress
2 Lysandre

4 Colress Machine
4 Team Plasma Ball
4 Roller Skates
3 Bicycle
3 Muscle Band
3 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
2 Pokémon Catcher
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Escape Rope
1 Dowsing Machine

—Energy (12)—
4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Plasma Energy
4 Lightning Energy

This deck is very aggressive and with the exception of its reliance on Roller Skate flips, quite consistent. The deck maxes out on Team Plasma Ball and Colress Machine with the intent of a turn-two Plasma Gale KO every game, ideally with several Deoxys-EX in play to take out a Pokémon-EX. Thundurus-EX is primarily there as a backup attacker. It’s very strong against Lightning-weak Pokémon with a Muscle Band and a bunch of Deoxys-EX in play and it can help you get Plasma Energy back onto Lugia or even power up a backup Lugia. I wouldn’t go so far as to call Thundurus a lead in this deck (you really want that quick Plasma Gale) but it’s a solid enough opener.

This deck runs a fairly low Supporter count, but this is mitigated by the presence of seven draw-Items as well as ten Items that thin the deck. While drawing dead off an N is a concern, it doesn’t happen terribly often, and this deck can play off the board pretty well given an Energy on Thundurus. On that note, this deck runs a couple N itself. Some players advocate Shauna, but the ability to disrupt the opponent’s hand is a crucial way too keep them off-balance as Lugia destroys their board. Plus, in the first few turns, the extra card that N gives matters quite a bit.

This deck absolutely needs four switching effects. This deck starts with Deoxys quite often and needs to be able to consistently get Lugia active on turn-two. It’s also crucial to conserve Energy, which matters quite a bit with this deck given that Lugia is already discarding Plasma Energy frequently. It’s also crucial to make sure you’re never left without an Energy on a Thundurus.

On the subject of powering up Thundurus, I’ve opted to go with just Lightning Energy. The only alternative in this format is Rainbow Energy and I’m quite hesitant to include it. Quite often you end up attaching one of Thundurus’ Energy to Lugia and the one damage counter from Rainbow matters quite a bit (for instance, an opposing Lugia-EX will only need three Deoxys and a Muscle Band to KO your Lugia). By going this route, I forego Helix Force. Given that it’s a pretty solid attack, I can understand players opting for a few Rainbow despite this risk.

This deck is fast enough to overpower most anything. Seismitoad-EX is a concern given this deck’s high Item count, but the deck can also play a ton of Items on the first turn to compensate. The biggest issue the deck faces is Pyroar. To counter it, I’ve opted for a Toxicroak-EX. The idea is to use Lugia to take as many quick Prizes as possible, using Pokémon Catcher and Lysandre to pick off early-game Litleo and other non-Pyroar Pokémon. Once the opponent’s field is nothing but Pyroar, Toxicroak can come in to put on pressure. It only works in this deck because of the quick lead Lugia establishes. You can also power up a Thunderous Noise to run Pyroar low on Energy before dropping Toxicroak. It’s not a perfect gameplan, but it definitely gives you a chance in the matchup for a much smaller investment than a line of Beartic FFI might require.

Overall, this deck is still quite strong in this format. I can easily see it being a contender in Regionals.

1 Like

I’ve actually been using this deck with Beartic FFI and no skates or bike. It’s been very consistent, and I find that when you factor in the early game prizes you take on Littleo’s and a possible Plasma Gale on a benched Mewtwo EX or Charizard EX, a 2-2 Beartic line is enough to beat Pyroar. The fact that I run Beartic and Rainbow energy makes fighting variants a positive matchup, as Landorus and Lucario can be hit for weakness with Beartic and Deoxys, respectively. As for VirGen, the fact that everything has 170 HP makes it that much easier. The one match up I’ve been winning less than about half of the time is Sesmitoad. My list relies a little less on items than most, but being unable to break ability lock really stings. When I do win the matchup, it’s either die to poor draws on my opponent’s part or using Lysandre in a way that will make them miss a turn of Quaking Punch. Overall I have roughly a 90% win rate with my list, so I’d say it’s decent.

Also, I’ll be taking it to a League Challenge Saturday so I’ll be sure to post the list and how the tournament goes in this thread.

I agree with Gelato, beatric works well. Lasers always work so numbers are consistent. I don’t know why ur playing toxicroak. I personally play pyroar and i have not seen toxicroak EX as a threat. I play 4 switch and a scramble switch so poison is easy to get out of. Beartic is more consistent. Maybe a 2-2 line would help.
Gelato makes a point on that one. Play rainbow because it lets you setup easy lugia indirectly, Speed lugia if I am correct is what you r playing, and should win before a threat is really up. 10 damage on thundurus is not a worry.

Lasers aren’t great in Lugia because you only take 2 prizes with a Plasma Gale + Laser on an EX as opposed to 3 with a normal Plasma Gale.

Couldnt u drop laser on the turn before and then swing for 3?

What about Plasmabats?
Pokemon 18
4 Deoxys-EX
3 Lugia-EX
2 Thundurus-EX
3-3-3 Sneay Bats

Supporters 14
4 Professor Juniper
2 N
2 Colress
2 Lysandre
2 Iris
1 xerosic
1 team plasma grunt

Items 17
4 Colress Machine
4 Team Plasma Ball
3 Muscle Band
3 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
1 Dowsing Machine

Energy 11
4 Plasma Energy
3 Lightning Energy

Iris gives you extra damage late game and bats can lower the HP without having to worry about accidental KO.

I like this Idea, but wouldn’t Target Whistle work in this deck too?

Yeah I think it could work. Hopefully I want to be able to have the deck work even against Seismitoad ex lock. The garbodor seems like a dream killer though. But you would want to set up an easy target on the bench and lysander it out? Is that what you had in mind?

Yes, exactly what I had in mind.

Seismitoad can be gotten through because of Deoxys, bats and Iris. But Garbodor needs to be taken care of which is why I think the deck isn’t going to be that competitive. Though I might increase the xerosic count to try and remove items off of garbodor’s at the right time.

Seis motors will shut down your Deoxys pretty quickly. You’re wasting at least 3 energy attachments, if you have a Head Ringer on you (Whether that be Manual or with Acceleraters like a Colress Machine, which is hard to do with item lock, or a Thundurus EX, which will also likely be Ringered) so they have more than enough time to get your Deoxys Down.

Because LTC was banned, I’m expecting Toad decks to go down in popularity, especially in my division (seniors) which means that Speed Lugia can be a thing for nats and worlds. Here is my list:
4 Lugia ex
4 Deoxys ex
4 Shaymin ex
1 Swablu ROS
1 Altaria ROS

4 Colress Machine
4 Team Plasma Ball
4 Trainers Mail
4 Acro Bike
4 Bicycle
4 Battle Compressor
3 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
1 Computer Search

4 Skyfield

4 Professor Sycamore

4 Plasma Energy

The goal is to get set up turn one and take prizes extremely fast, so it might be a good idea to go second when using this.

1 Like

So now that trump card is gone, what do you when you run out of plasma energy to discard? Just lose?

Kill 3 EXes. Problem solved.

The point is to win as fast as possible and stop running through your deck as soon as you get what you need. Hopefully, I will playtest more online with it.

So let’s say you kill an ex. There goes one energy. Then let’s say they enhanced hammer your DCE and other plasma energy from lugia. Now it’s completely empty. You need another DCE and two more colress machine to power it up next turn, and even then it only hits for 160 at most. What I’m seeing is it loses to any kind of energy removal. And if they switch between attackers after you plasma gale once, that’s a wasted attack that you can’t get back. This deck seems unplayable without trump card.

It’s a risk deck that has more potential now that toad is being less used.

Not sure if that’s sarcastic or not, but in all seriousness, I think Bunnelby is hardly an option.