Lucario-EX Variants // BCR-on

Two things, with the release of Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick and the current trend toward Mega EX battles I really think Lucario EX has a solo career ahead of him. I know the first thought in everyone’s mind is why not use Landorus EX too? Well the answer is simple, it doesn’t have a Mega.

These two comments got me thinking a lot about the card Lucario EX and his Mega form.
The Pros:

1. The Mega only needs 3 energy instead of 4 like most other Megas.
  2. The Mega is a fighting pokemon and has all that great fighting support.
    The Cons:
  3. There is no Spirit Link.
  4. Mewtwo EX (physic types) wreck it.

I read Andrew Wamboldt’s article about Tricks and Balls, and was shocked that Mega Lucario EX wasn’t even considered…probably because there is no Spirit Link.

Well I’m writing this to tell you guys that a Spirit Link isn’t needed for Mega Lucario EX to be a threat, Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick is the secret key.

Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick

Keep Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick (133/160) around in case your hand starts to get low on cards. If it’s the last card you’re holding and you play it, you get to draw five cards and put any Fighting-type Pokémon from your discard pile onto your Bench! For example, if Primal Groudon-EX gets Knocked Out, you can use Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick to get it back in play—and avoid the rule that ends your turn!

Here is the list I have been testing:

3 Lucario EX
2 Mega Lucario EX
3 Hawchlua
2 Landorus FFI

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Korrina
2 Skyla
2 Lysandre
2 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card

3 VS Seeker
2 Ultra Ball
2 Repeat Ball
2 Muscle Band
2 Silver Bangles
2 Focus Sash
2 Weakness Policy
1 Professor Letter
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Battle Compressor
1 Computer Search
1 Fighting Stadium
1 Silent Lab
1 Scorched Earth

4 Strong Energy
6 Fighting Energy

The one card I was wanting when I played this deck was Switch, but I just didn’t know if it was necessary, as long as when you bench Lucario EX you attach an energy, switch really shouldn’t be needed. Also Hawchlua has free retreat and that is a major help too.

About the strategy, if you read Andrew’s article he tells you that the best way to maximize Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick is to use cards such as Battle Compressor, Junpier, Ultra Ball, Computer Search to get 2 things into the discard, Mega Lucario EX and Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick. From then on you are trying to get you hand down to only a VS Seeker, so you can use Maxie, by-pass the Mega Evolution Rule and draw 5 fresh cards!

Of course now you have an energy-less Mega on your bench waiting to attack. This is where I bring in Landorus FFI, attach and energy to the Mega for turn, use Shout of Power to get the second energy on the Mega, then next turn retreat the Landorus FFI, attach third energy for turn and start swinging.

This deck so far is extremely fast, you can start hitting your opponent turn 2 for up to 70 dmg with just one energy and continue to apply pressure all game. The best thing I discovered was the interaction between Hawchlua and Silent Lab. With Silent Lab in play you can use Hawchlua to attack EX’s for weakness, which is incredibly powerful. Also Hawchlua with a Focus Sash can survive 2 hits, which means he can place 120+ dmg on the board for just 1 energy, provided you don’t get lasered, also really powerful. I included 2 Weakness Policies and they have helped a lot to negate Con#2 above. Give it a try and let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Well kinda surprised no body has commented yet. I just wanted to say that recently I dropped scorched earth in favor of another Silent Lab because of how effective it is against VirGen. Especially if they don’t run any counter stadiums.

Also this deck has little, room to discard energy, even if you get to draw 2 cards.

I think that scorched earth isn’t needed and should be replaced by Fighting Stadium. How has testing gone for you? Also maybe 1 Landorus EX could help with its bench damage. It makes getting OHKOs with M Lucario so much easier! How has the focus sash going for you? I think one should be cut in favour of Muscle Band.

Yeah scorched earth wasn’t great. Fighting stadium is nice but in my experience there have been a lot of non-EX decks showing up, it has a diminishing return for that reason imo. I’m still not sold on Landorus EX either, seems like a lot of players have an almost automatic response for him. I’m will to bet that’s because of the popularity of Land/bats.
I do wish I had more muscle bands, especially when they use megaphones. I might try dropping one silver bangle or focus sash for another muscle band.

New list:

3 Lucario EX
2 Mega Lucario EX
2 Hawchlua
2 Landorus FFI
1 Jirachi EX

4 Juniper
1 N
2 Korrina
1 Skyla
2 Xerosic
1 Team Flare Grunt
1 Cassius
2 Lysandre
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card
1 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
2 Muscle Band
2 Silver Bangles
1 Focus Sash
1 Weakness Policy
1 Professor Letter
1 Startling Megaphone
2 Battle Compressor
1 Computer Search
2 Fighting Stadium
2 Silent Lab
2 Acro Bike

4 Strong Energy
6 Fighting Energy

Also there is no acceleration for the energy. 3 energy is three turns. And if it knocks out in order to attack with 2 would require 6 turns of adding energy and that is hoping they don’t have a hammer. The other mega’s with big attack requirements have some form of energy acceleration. I think this is one reason why we see more Primal Kyogre than Primal Groudon. And obviously M Aagron wouldn’t be anywhere near as good if it wasn’t for metal links and M Fairies without Xerneas XY.

So maybe but I wish it had a second attack that was cheaper that way you aren’t just doing nothing for three turns.

For mega lucario I mean. The regular lucario is pretty strong himself and he ascends with a new attack each and each one has its benefits. He hits for a solid 200 when he fully powered up. A M lucario would hit for 240 which is enough to 1hko all non wailord ex’s.

I seem to be the only person who is even in the slightest bit concerned/excited for this in my league, but Black and White and going to be gone very soon, at eliminates the threat of mewtwo.

I was wondering if teaching in one shrine of memories would be a good idea, just so you could take care of that problem, thing is in this deck you rely on Maxie’s to drop down that mega lucario, meaning you won’t have a normal lucario ex under it.

Yeah. Even though there is only one legal Lucario Ex there is nothing that ties that card to MLucario to be able to use the attacks.

No Ball Trick, just Rare Candy and smash face. I really like this guy’s idea. Currently trying just one Maxie’s and this pokemon line up. I find Machamp is a far better, one prize attacker, Maxie target, but Mega Lucario EX still gives the deck that extra emf if you have a powered up Lucario EX on the wing.

1 Like

Okay I’ve been testing this deck with both good and bad results.
Loses against suicune and safeguarders :frowning:
Any advice would be helpful

3 Hawlucha
2 Landorus
1 Lucario EX
2 M Lucario EX
3 Manectric EX
2 M Manectric EX
1 Jirachi EX

4 Battle Compressor
1 Computer Search
3 Mega Turbo
4 Trainer’s Post
4 Ultra Ball

4 VS seeker
1 Lysandre
1 Lysandre’s Trump Card
2 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick (may be increased)
1 N
4 Juniper
3 Fighting Stadium
3 Manectric Spirit Link
2 Muscle Band

6 Fighting Energy
1 Strong energy
2 Lightning Energy

Strategy, set up with MMan, get energy in discard, Maxie, get mega lucario onto bench, do Turbo Bolt, and use mega lucario to power the game away

Suicune is a Safeguader, as is Sigilyph, and the lesser (if at all) used Beautifly.
Use Silent Lab to break through their ability or run Hypnotoxic Laser.