League Cup 2nd Place - Espeon GX / Garbodor (QLD, Australia)

Hi everyone. Thought I’d capture and reflect on my performance at a league cup on the weekend. I played Espeon-GX to a 2nd place finish. There were 35 players I think.

Multi-Switch was bad. Seems good in theory, but didn’t need it all day. Should be either another Lele or another Field Blower.

Anyway, onto the report.

R1: Win Vs Gardevoir
New player with a good list. Deck did not set up very well however (which was the only issue I had with his list when he showed me it after).

R2: Lose vs Koko/Weavile/Espeon EX/Porygon-Z
Cool deck. It spreads damage with Koko and Weavile, then de-evolves with Espeon EX and Porygon-Z’s ability. Eevee only has 60hp, which makes it difficult to mitigate the de-evolution KO strategy. If I were to re run this match, I’d bench as few Pokemon as I could and stagger them as much as I could. A better player than me would have identified this mid-match and is something I need to improve on.

R3: Draw vs Golisopod GX / Garb
The matches were really close. In game 2 we both began drawing dead late game and he accidentally de-evolved my Garbotoxin Garbodor with his Espeon EX, giving me a turn where I could have used Energy evolution to get going. However I failed to notice it before re-evolving and he was able to recover and win before I could get Espeon online.

We had a few turns of game 3 before time was called.

R4: Win vs. Gardevoir
These were fairly short games against a senior division player (the divisions were all mixed). Although he was relatively skilled, he wasn’t able to set up faster than I could take his board apart with Espeon. Divide GX is an amazing attack.

R5: Win vs. Metagross
Close game 1 which I lost. Donk on my opponent game 2 (although it took me a couple of turns to get it). Game 3 was extremely close again - it took a Guzma top deck for me to win.

The matchup is difficult and comes down to whether you can stop them setting up 3 Metagross.

R6: Win vs. Gardevoir
Last Swiss round and my third round against this deck. True to form, my opponent was unable to set up an adequate response to early Espeon-GX pressure. Game one I had two Guzma amongst my early cards, and was able to take KOs on key targets until I won. Game 2 played out a bit better for my opponent, but the consequence of the early pressure was that I could comfortably trade until I won.

Top 8: Win vs. Volcanion/Turtonator/Ho-oh
A little bird told me that this player wasn’t running field blower, which is an interesting gambit in the name of min-maxing the deck’s strength and weaknesses. Unfortunately, Espeon-GX with Garbotoxin probably exploits this build better than most.

In game one I had two threats to deal with - a ‘baby’ Volcanion with two energy and a Fighting Fury Belt, as well as a Turtonator-GX with 4 energy from a turn 1 Kiawe. I decided to split the difference with a Divide GX placing 5 counters on both which put them both into KO range from Espeon GX’s Psychic given the right conditions (Turtonator-GX had a Fighting Fury Belt which I needed to deal with first). I was able to dispatch his board handily from there. Game 2 played out similarly aside from the fact that we both had very slow starts.

Top 4: Win vs Ninetales-GX

In top 4 I played against young Max who is blitzing his first season in Masters division. We played 3 close games. I almost won game 2, but whiffed what I needed after a 3 card N. I think I needed any combination of Rescue stretcher and one of 3 Psychic energy or a Double Colourless energy from 8 or so cards and I only hit the Stretcher. Game 3 finished in time. He conceded on his last turn of time because he couldn’t catch up in prizes but I had everything anyway - a field blower to remove Garbotoxin, a stretcher for Tapu Lele-GX and Guzma in deck to take the last prize.

Finals: Lose Vs. Golisopod-GX / Garbodor

As happy as I was to be facing my good friend and old rival Bodhi, I wasn’t enthusiastic about the matchup. My main attacker is weak to Garbodor, whilst his is not and even without that, Golisopod-GX has numerous qualities about it which give it the edge. Most importantly it only needs 1 energy to deal upwards of 150 damage whilst Espeon requires multiple energy on both itself and the opponent to deal big damage.

We played our games and they were a stomp. In game 2, Bodhi didn’t have to play a single item (directly to his discard) to dispatch me.

In retrospect, I might have done better if I’d exploited his list’s reliance on Lele and limited his bench with Parallel City. I’m not sure I’d have won, but if have put up more of a fight.

GGs to everyone. Really enjoyed playing Espeon and playing a deck that’s different to my usual go-to (I like big energy acceleration decks like Vikavolt or the recently performing Magnezone lists out there).