Hey there. I’m the father of a pretty good juniors player, my son Jack (7 years old). He’s won several league challenges and won a League Cup two weekends ago (playing Darkrai/Dragons). Since he’s done well playing in smaller tournaments, I plan to take him to Roanoke for the Regional tournament on May 6, 2017. I’d like to get a little advice about deck choice and about the Juniors meta game more generally. My son and I play each other and test decks on PTCGO, but we don’t interact with many other competitive Juniors players. I’ve found some solid YouTube channels and even a podcast or two discussing the Pokemon TCG, but none of them seem to focus on the Juniors circuit.
Here’s a quick list of the potential decks we’re considered for Jack (I don’t include all playable decks; these are the ones I believe he’d be most comfortable with):
1. Darkrai/Dragons – he’s had success with it. Tried and true. But no GXes and he may be getting a bit bored with it.
2. Turbo Darkrai – adding in Tauros GX, Ninja Boy, and just trying to out-speed opponents. Good, but weak to fighting decks and not as interesting for Jack.
3. Decidueye GX / Tauros GX / Lugia EX – Jack doesn’t like playing Vileplume (which I know is the best way to play Decidueye), but this is a deck we’ve been playing and which we love. We play 2 Tauros & 1 Lugia, setting up behind a Tauros and using float stones for mobility of attackers. It takes some skill to pilot this deck, but I believe Jack could be very good with it by May 6th.
4. Umbreon GX / Espeon GX / Eeveelutions – Jack hasn’t played this deck much, but I know he likes these cards and has the ability to set up the right attackers and support to exploit weakness. I just don’t know how this deck fits in the Juniors meta game.
5. Mega Mewtwo EX / Espeon GX / Garbodor – I’ve always loved playing Mega Mewtwo, so Jack has had some experience both playing with and against variants of this deck. The Garbodor line and Espeon inclusion give this version some versatility.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have. My first choice out of the above would be Decidueye, though I have no idea how well-represented Volcanion is at big Juniors events. My second favorite would be Mega Mewtwo, but again, that depends on the kinds of decks I’m thinking we’ll see.