Golduck Break Discussion and Deck List

When Golduck Break initially came out, I saw it’s potential in many water decks. However, its pre-evolution wasn’t good enough for it to be viable in the format, coupled with the fact that most decks in the format were fast, and stage 2s couldn’t keep up(Except Greninja Break, because of water duplicates and such). Sun and Moon released a Golduck that was decent enough to base a deck out of, and that’s what i’m doing here today.

Deck List:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

• 2 Glaceon-EX FAC 20
  • 2 Golduck BREAK BKP 18
  • 4 Psyduck SUM 28
  • 4 Golduck SUM 29
  • 2 Regice AOR 24

##Trainer Cards - 36

• 4 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
  • 4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
  • 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
  • 2 N NVI 101
  • 1 Lysandre FLF 104
  • 4 Dive Ball PRC 161
  • 3 Rough Seas PRC 137
  • 3 Wally ROS 107
  • 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
  • 4 Trainers’ Mail ROS 92
  • 3 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 10

• 10 Water Energy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******
Overview
The whole point of this list is to set up a Golduck as quickly as possible and start spreading energy across the board. The whole point of getting Golduck up is that it can start scoring knockouts on your opponent while they are setting up. While pressuring with cheap, high damage, you can start setting up Glaceon or Regice(Depending on the deck your going against). Golduck will start to lose it’s dominance by at least T3, so having an immune attacker can sway the game in your favor. A common problem among Golduck players is that they wait to attack with their Golduck/Regice until the enemy can get an attacker and Lysandre ready. Do not do that! It’s often a mistake that can lose the game entirely. Besides that, the deck is cheap and pretty decent. One of my favorite parts about this deck is the Golduck Break and Max Potion
combo that was seen in XY with fairy transfer.
Why No Shaymin?
Same reason you wouldn’t run Shaymin in Greninja Break. Some lists also use Starmie, but I found that energy retrieval improves consistency and allows for Golduck to do more damage early game, when Golduck is most valuable.
Matchups
Turbo Dark-50/50
It really depends on how early you can get a Golduck with a bursting balloon. If you give them an extra turn, your’e in a bad position. The game is still winnable with Regice, but everything turns into a 3 OHKO, and if they find the Pokemon Ranger…
Every Mega Deck-40/60
The main problem is that they are tanky and hard to win without a Regice and streaming Golducks. If any of them Lysandre anything super important, the games hard to win.
Volcanion-70/30
This ratio may be really high, but for good reason. If you have a wally and a couple of water energy in hand it’s easy to win.
Greninja Break-50/50
Whoever manages to set up first usually wins. The main reason is that Giant water Shuriken evades you immunity completely, and Golduck is so frail and Talonflame and a bursting baloon would kill it.

Too lazy to do anymore matchups, but hope you enjoyed the list!

Starmie from Evolutions has an ability that lets you discard a card from your hand so you can put 2 basic energy from your discard into your hand. I can see some synergy with Golduck here.

The reason no shaymin is strong in greninja is because it has built in consistency in frogadier, and naturally wants to play a 6-prize game. This deck needs shaymin due to the fact that, on its own, it’s clunky. Furthermore, you play Glaceon-EX, so you aren’t doing the same 6-prize thing, meaning you really have no good reason not to play shaymin.

I said why I didn’t include Stamie.

Finally!!! Someone else realises that 4x energy retrieval is better than 2-2 starmie!!! To add to the discussion:
a) We don’t really need to abuse the break for much more than it’s hp.
b) can play wobbufet and floats to deal with plume aswell as give ray and other ability reliant decks some trouble.
c) Burst balloon is not a 0 or 4 of type of card. Play 1-3.
d) I’d replace wally with ultra balls, a psyduck start + water energy + water energy + wally + water energy sounds very unlikely.
e) oranguru is very, very good, especially in decks that need to draw out after getting N’d.
f) I’d watch out with glaceon-EX, it won’t be too useful with things like tapu lele dropping into the format.
g) Ace trainer and teammates are options.
h) If you are going to focus more on the break’s ability side of things, I suggest 1-2 lapras-GX and -1 regice and glaceon-EX as you don’t need 2 as it isn’t 100% neccessary to get them down to win. (e.g. unlike plume/walls)
i) I really should have used numbers instead of letters
j) Rough seas doesn’t shape up to be very useful here: doesn’t help golduck at all (except your little talonflame burst balloon shenanigans, although it isn’t that bad as greninja doesn’t like taking prizes before setting up, N, ace trainer). Also you already have max potion for your basic attackers.

Well, it’s definitely not a 1 of.