Flygon RR Variants // DP-on

Well, back when the card came out in 2009, Flygon from Rising Rivals was a major deck basis and players like David Cohen, Jay Hornung (I think) and Nicholas Fortheringham (I think that’s hoe you spell it) used it to well placed finishes at Worlds. You could use the deck in many ways.

1. Deck out. With Flygon Lv. X, Palkia Lv. X, and Trapinch SW, you could put your opponent into a lock that would make them deck out. Nidoqueen RR was also used to heal damage.
  2. Attack! Flygon Lv. X’s attack was used to get rid of Lv. Xs. Cards like Machamp SF were teched in to provide even more damage as well as take down SP Pokemon, which at the time were constantly growing in popularity. Some variants also used Mewtwo Lv. X to provide protection while setting up. Flygon SW was also used to spread even more damage to the opponents Pokemon.

Unfortunately, Flygon did not see much more play after that and did not see any top 4’s at worlds 2010. Probably because of the growing popularity of Luxchomp.

I’ve been trying to test a variant I call DonGon, basically spam Earthquake with Donphan early game while building up a big Flygon Lv. X to oneshot any Lv. X’s. I still need to make it a bit better…I can’t get Flygon Lv.X out often enough and Donphan’s retreat cost can be a pain when Flygon isn’t out. I’ve also been playing this often against @thegrovylekid’s Pl0X, and PsyLock is annoying for when you can’t find your Unown G. Bench space can often be an issue, as I’m also trying to find room for a good Nidoqueen to heal off Earthquake damage done to things like Azelf, Uxie, and Claydol.

Especially when said unown G keeps getting shuffled in…

1 Like

What is your format? I could make you a list for that.

It would be incredibly interesting, I normally play DP-UL.

2-2 Donphan Prime
2-2 Trapinch SW/RR
2 Vibrava
2-1 Flygon RR/SW
1 Flygon v. X
2-2 Claydol GE
1-1 Machamp
1-1 Nidoqueen
1 Uxie LA
1 Machamp Lv. X

4 Rare Candy
4 Pokemon Communication
1 Luxury Ball
4 Poke Drawer+
3 Bebe’s Search
3 Roseanne’s Research
4 Broken Time-Space
4 Prof. Oak’s New Theory
2 Premier Ball

4 Call Energy
6 Fighting Energy
1 Psychic Energy

Deck out variant:
4 Trapinch SW
2 Vibrava RR
3 Flygon RR
1 Flygon Lv. X
1 Mewtwo LA
1 Mewtwo Lv. X
1 Palkia GE
1 Palkia Lv. X
2 Unown G
1 Azelf LA
1 Uxia LA
1 Nidoran F RR
1 Nidoqueen RR
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE

2 Switch
2 Premier Ball
1 Night Maintenance
4 Poke Drawer+
2 Memory Berry
4 Roseanne’s Reasearch
4 Bebe’s Search
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball

4 Call Energy
4 Fighting Energy
3 Psychic Energy
1 Water Energy

@gpod11601, the main focus of this thread is Flygon, not the other evolutions in the deck though they may be in there. I liked the way it was and felt it didn’t need to be changed.

Would you change the Bronzong PHF thread name just because it has Aegislash ex in it? Same thing here