Electrode EVO variants // PRC-on

Discussion thread for thoughts on the first playable electrode in a while as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of content on the card.
I personally prefere to play it with straight raikou:
pokemon (14):
4 Voltorb
4 Electrode
4 Raikou
1 Carbink (energy keeper)
1 Rattata
Energy (10):
10 Lightning
Supporters (14):
4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Ace Trainer
2 Lysandre
4 Vs Seeker
Items (19):
4 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers’ Mail
3 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Escape Rope
4 Max Elixir
Stadiums (3):
3 Silent Lab

The main strategy of the deck involves using electrode to power up raikou while forcing your opponent to take prize cards prematurely. Raikou effectively has 180hp due to its ability and fury belt which justifies the deck giving up extra prizes through electrode’s ability.
A good deck must be able to at least output 2HKOs on everything while having a special quality; raikou/electrode’s mechanical advantage is the forcing your opponent to take premature prizes: taking prizes before you have setup properly, leaving yourself susceptable to N. Ace trainer capatalises on this factor heavily which is why the deck is playable.
The deck also is able to play using max elixirs to fuel your attacks instead of electrode. This engine is essential when playing against garbodor.

I use this list:
3 Raikou BKT
2 Voltorb ROS
2 Electrode EVO
2 Jolteon EX
1 Zapdos ROS
1 Stunfisk
1 Mew FCO
2 Shaymin EX
=14
4 Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac
1 Ninja Boy
1 Brock’s Grit
4 Ultra Ball
4 Vs Seeker
4 Max Elixir
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Float Stone
1 Escape Rope
1 Enhanced Hammer
3 Faded Town
=34
12 Lightning Energy
=12

Evolutions Zapados would be better since it hits way harder even though it has 20 less HP w/ ffb attached. The damage increase is too valuable

To me the problem with zapdos EVO is the “discard all energy” clause, at which point I would rather run pikachu-EX as a game finisher than zapdos. The extra 40 damage is nice and I love how they kept it with no weaknesses just like the original legendary bird cards, but that “discard all energy” clause just ruins it for me.
Also I find zapdos ROS not to be that great especially with fighting box not being a big deck atm.
Stunfisk is pretty cool though guys.

I’ve thought about a deck just like this when I first heard about Electrode from evolutions.

My build uses Raikou, Cobalion and Pikachu EX (backup to be used VERY sparingly). If someone trades KOs with Pikachu EX, you lose three prizes provided that you powered him up via Electrode and attach the turn before for a quick knockout.

I like to have Delinquent in my deck. Is there any reason for stunfisk though? I feel like It could be replaced with something else.

Cobalion?

What’s it’s purpose?

Woop another cobalion lover! And “justified” too! But I don’t really feel the need to split energy this time around. :sweat_smile:
At the moment I’m deliberating over the viability of Pikachu EX Jolteon EX, stunfisk and mew FCO:
Pikachu EX looks to be a monster at wiping out attackers; but at the same time is a very fragile glass cannon that only fires once.
Jolteon EX doesn’t follow the streaming pattern and flow of the deck; however can be easily teched without too much worry with it’s free retreat and helps in darktina matchup which is quite poor if they play garbodor.
Stunfisk has a niche revenge kill 100 dmg for fewer energies so is easier to setup and can follow up with a decent 80 dmg setting up a raikou or pikachu-EX Ko. However it is a bad starter with 3 retreat cost.
Mew with memories of dawn (we have 2 mews in format now) can take OHKOs on MmewtwoEX; its mew beating up mewtwo just like old times… Also has free retreat which is neat.

Bare in mind these should never be played higher than a one count. I’ve seen so many 2-of jolteons and I still don’t understand why: decks like 2015-6 Mray played 2 because it was the only way to beat nm and plumeon plays 2-ofs because that’s its main strategy; not a tech for a couple of slightly unfavourable MUs.

2 Shaymin-EX . . . . . . . 4 sycamore . . . . 4 Ultra Ball . . . . . . . . . 11 Lightning energy
1 Jolteon-EX . . . . . . . . 3 N . . . . . . . . . . .4 Max Elixir
4 raikou . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Lysandre . . . . . 3 Trainers’ Mail . . . . . . 2 Parallel City
2-2 electrode . . . . . . . 1 Hex Maniac . . . 3 Fighting Fury Belt . . . 1 Rough Seas
1 jirachi (PROMO) . . . 1 Brock’s Grit . . . 1 Exp. Share
1 mew (FCO) . . . . . . . 1 Delinquent . . . .1 Enhanced Hammer
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4 Vs Seeker . . . .1 Escape Rope . . . . . . . 60 Cards
N.B. Used this format so it’s shorter.
This is the deck that got top 8 at Dortmund regionals in Germany piloted by Tobias Thesing.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfhEylGrAWE
This list includes a few interesting techs:
Choice to play Shaymin: I feel its a bit like gyarados where players are divided on the issue; At least I am for the most part. If it’s 2 shaymin; then its 2-2 electrode that’s for sure.
Jolteon, jirachi and mew: All techs for MUs that Tobias Thesing decided to be worthwhile. Jolteon deals with basic decks with its potential autowin condition. Mew takes out Mmew2. Jirachi deals with fast decks that use special energy which are becoming an increased menace shown by enhanced hammers’ increased usage in decks.
Hex Maniac: This deck generally doesn’t struggle especially with abilities but its nice to have against greninja.
Brocks Grit over super rod: more and more players have been doing this and I really can’t fathom it. I still don’t even run super rod; but my current list(s) is about 4-4 electrode so its not a hassle. Recovery is important more in the shaymin variant.
Delinquent: Just a card-choice to handle players assuming him wanting to use ace trainer and emptying their hands. Will always be good for making long tournaments more durable.
Exp share: I’ve been playing this for a while and dayum its a good 1-of.
Enhanced Hammer ontop of jirachi promo: you know what combos best with special hate? Extra special hate.
Parallel City: I think this deck will only be seen to use Rough Seas, Silent lab and Parallel City. Tobias is outlining that rough seas is a nice idea but its a niche concept that doesn’t often save games and you could generally be using better effects when you stadium bump.

I came up with this deck weeks before Dortmund. If Pokemon did copyright claims, I’d be sending Tobias one right now.

Yea… I hope you realize that everyone has probably thought of this deck.

Am I missing something? Because Cobalion isn’t Lightning type

The point is cobalion is broke af; if it had a good partner it would wreck format. However the cards it potentially synergises best with are all of different types and the double metal energy cost gets to be very messy. It can be made to work but always feels super awkward to play but does suprisingly well. Not really sure how it got into an electrode list (and this discussion), but with cobalion: anything is justified. (Pun intended)

Stahp it’s too much.

Been doing some more testing on raikou/electrode and have ended up with a fairly streamlined deck (simply 4 raikou 2-2 electrode 1 mew FCO) notable for 4 silent labs, 2-2 exp. share:fury belt ratio, double ace trainer, triple level ball and inclusion of acro bikes over shaymin-ex as I feel her to be 1 prize too risky in a deck that plays every prize to its advantage.
n.b. This isn’t like the gyarados issue (choice to play shaymin or not) as shaymin’s extra prize didn’t matter too much as your opponent had to worry about gyarados before taking checky prizes (which protected shaymin); the issue there between shaymin and octillery was really just about constant drawing to 5 or being able to rocket to 6’s at 2 points in a game and which was better in the deck.

I know this thread is dead, but I seriously feel like, in “theory-mon” (intended), it can:
1.Not even think about the mountains of exp. points from knocking out so many yveltals.
2.Not be destroyed by volcanion’s raw power due to lab spamming with hand stun (Ace trainer :innocent:)
3.Ace trainer :innocent: greninja (therefore having one of the best greninja MU that doesn’t involve using garb), while OHKOing breaks.
4.Reg/glac/garb/ham isn’t much of a threat although the hammers can be dangerous.
5.Mmewtwo with garb hurts but is fine if you can quietly setup a mew and lysandre up that garb or play a simple game (raikou->raikou->raikou, etc.) followed by a shaymin KO to clean up. Just don’t ever drop a lab unless induced brick is your only remaining win condition.
6.Mray, do we even need to talk about this?
7.vespiquen variants are also pretty ez, (not just with lab -> ace trainer stun :innocent:), but because they struggle to dent raikou early game and have no way to catch up.
8.Mgardevoir, lab->lab->lab->lab, (I think you get it) (ace trainer :innocent:)
9.Darktina, again, hammers hurt but I’m not really feeling threatened.
10.Plumebox and mirror (running jolteon EX) I find the idea of a 1-1 zebstrika more promising than trying to play jolteon into jolteon… (and for any1 who doesn’t remember the generally irrelevant ability)

I’d like to keep this deck built after it rotates, even if it is not that competitive. Have you considered Tapu-Koko GX as a 1-of?

tbh 2 raikou and 3-4 koko-GX with a lower item count (avoid koko getting OHKO’d by garb), but at the end of the day it’d probably just be a koko deck with the 2-2 electrode tech to get started without as much item spam. Also jolteon-EX is no where near as common as before considering the current metagame so we can probably play without 1-1 zebstrika. 1 Raikou or pikachu-EX or something with ninja boy for respective 1 prize/final burst damage. (I’d say pika is more “cute” than actually good but hey, it’s a cute idea).