Durant NVI Variants // BLW-on (Expanded)

So I’m trying to come up with a deck for some local BLW-on LCs. I figured I would start with Durant since I’ve had a bit of success with it against decks that are very similar to the ones that I would play against. Here’s the list I’ve come up with:

Durant BLW-on

4 Durant
2 Mr. Mime

3 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Juniper
4 N
2 Colress
1 Pal Pad

4 Crushing Hammer
4 Catcher
4 Max Potion
4 Level Ball
4 Eviolite
4 Startling Megaphone
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Super Rod
3 Enhanced Hammer
1 Dowsing Machine

3 Skyarrow Bridge

7 Metal Energy

Why not run Klinklang PLS?

I don’t think Klinklang is a good play in Durant. You’re wasting time trying to set up PlasmaKlang when the main focus should be streaming Durants. It looks great on paper, but I’ve tried to make it work a few times and found out the hard way that just straight Durant is better.

1 Like

Durant’s only real formats of prosperity, HS-NVI and HS-NEX, had attackers that struggled to OHKO Durants. CMT and Eel both really couldn’t OHKO a Durant until turn 3, which gave you a turn or two of buffer before things got more difficult, but you could still come out on top because of that buffer. CMT in particular was vulnerable to hammers.

DEX brought Darkrai, would could easily wreck Durants, and Durant ceased to make any decent showings at large events. With the rotation of Rotom, the only way to get prized Durants out left, which pretty much meant the end of him. Sure, the odd troll occasionally tried it with Garbodor, but even then, it wasn’t successful.

Now, there’s hardly a deck that won’t be KO’ing Durant on Turn 1/2. Plasma can do it effortlessly with Thundurus, Yveltal can do it easily, Fighting types would struggle to not kill you, etc. Add that to the inability to search prizes, and Durant is pretty much toast.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t think Klinklang is a good idea. My case would be that Durant as a whole is bad.

1 Like

If you’re going to play Durant at least play Trick Shovel…

2 Likes

Some of the cards that were essential to Durant are still gone from extended (Twins, Special Metal).

If you still want to try it, you are going to need Revive.

1 Like

With OHKOs on Durant almost assured I wouldn’t bother with Max Potion. Maybe go with Trick Shovel there instead.

Also, have you considered swapping out a Devour Durant for the new Durant from Furious Fists? Its first attack causes your opponent to discard at random down to 4 cards. Since hoarding cards in the hand to shuffle back into the deck is a standard anti-milling practice, it might prove useful.

Red Card is better then that Durant FI.

[quote=“themiraclemeat, post:8, topic:1826, full:true”]
Red Card is better then that Durant FI.
[/quote]No, not really.  One of the major strategies to beat Durant is setup one attacker, and just draw/kill Durant, not playing any items/supporters/etc. By keeping lots of cards in your hand, you eventually gain the ability to N yourself to 1-2, adding significant amount of cards back in your deck in order to avoid decking out. Red Card simply saves them the use of N, and adds more cards to the deck. Durant FUF isn’t great, but Red Card is not a good at all in here.

Honestly, I don’t know what I would do to revive Durant. It has a) lost so many cards that made it work (Twins/Jarm/Sp Metal/Victory Medal/Lost Remover/Collector/Rotom), and it’s so much easier to keep OHKOing them.

I thought about using Lysandre/Dragalge/Laser to drag out a non-attacker and Poison lock it, but that’s a trick that will only work once (if at all). Even at its best, Durant was always a deck that lived on the edge: if it wasn’t working smoothly, it would get mullered in a couple of turns. Without most of the cards that made it work smoothly, I don’t think it has a prayer.

2 Likes

No revive in deck…

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the hard counter to Durant: Lysandre’s Trump Card.

Even if you were lucky and discarded your opponent’s LTC while milling, Vs Seeker is going to be in nearly every deck now. Any deck running LTC is an auto loss as it will be impossible to come back from the prize deficit.

Or maybe this thread’s last post was in August, prior to LTC being relevant…

3 Likes

Pokémon (9)
4 Durant
4 Bunnelby (Junk Arm)
1 Mr. Mime

Trainer (42)
Supporter (15)
4 Shauna/Sycamore (Professor Oak’s New Theory)
4 N
2 Teammates (Twins)
2 Pokemon Fan Club (Pokémon Collector)
3 Lysandre
Items (27)
4 Level Ball
3 Enhanced Hammer (Lost Remover)
4 Trick Shovel
4 Hard Charm (or Eviolite)
3 Revive
3 Super Rod (Flower Shop Lady)
3 VS Seeker
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Town Map
1 Life Dew

Energy (9)
6 Metal Energy
3 Shield Energy

I saw wrong, Durant doesn’t need a Bunnelby’s help.

I’d love for this deck to be good but I just can’t see it going well, since there’s no way to get durant out of the prizes. The odds of prizing one durant is around 30%, and two durants is around 5%.It’s infinitely harder to deck your opponent out if you’re missing even one, and with no disruption cards outside of Klinklang, it’s going to be very difficult for Durant to deal with a strong non-ex attacker, such as Empoleon, any of the Night Marchers, and many others. Instead of Klinklang, I’d much rather play hammers and other disruptive supporters.

1 Like

If you watched the video, you’ll notice that the player never has all four Durants in play ever. He wins the whole game with just 3 of them. (I think one was prized).

I’m not sure if this deck list is supposed to go here but here goes. This is a Durant list (duh) for the Legacy Format (HGSS-LTR Sets), its partner is Klinklang which its ability says all metal pokemon can’t be hit by EX’s. Here’s the list:

Pokemon: 12 total
4 Durant NVI
2 Klinklang PLS
1 Klang PLS
2 Klink PLS
1 Rotom (Undaunted)
1 Smeargle (Call of Legends/ Portrait Poke-Power)
1 Jirachi EX PLB
Trainers: 40 Total
3 Juniper
3 N
3 PONT (Professor Oak’s New Theory)
3 Pokemon Collector
1 Colress
1 Professor Elm’s Training Method
1 Twins
1 Life Dew
2 Ultra Ball
3 Level Ball
3 Revive
2 Rare Candy
3 Float Stone
3 Pokemon Catcher
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Enhanced Hammer
1 Super Rod
1 Random Receiver
Energy: 8
1 Rescue Energy
7 Metal Energy

Explanations:

2-1-2 Klinklang Line, the reason behind a the numbers is because of in case I prize some of it.

2 Enhanced Hammer, the reason these aren’t Lost Removers is because I don’t own any :confused:

1 Random Receiver, I know people usually run more but I only own 1.

Feel free to make any personal tweaks to the list or any criticism is ok. Thanks for the help in advance.

This is the thread for Expanded, not Legacy. I don’t know if we ought to create separate threads for Legacy decks or what the mods want to do about it. In the meantime, it looks like a cool deck, although it seems a little clunky. How’s it been testing?

Its been testing quite well, especially when the most popular decks in Legacy are Virizion/Genesect/Celebi Prime and Straight Plasma Decks. I can usually get Klinklang out very consistently and with Pokemon Collector allowing me to get out Durant’s turn 1, its a pretty solid deck in my opinion.

1 Like