Donphan PLS Variants // BCR-on

Was looking for a replacement for Accelgor/Trevenant and came up with this list. Donphan is your main attacker, Sigilyph for tech and Trevenant for the lock. Any feed back is welcome.

Pokemon: 18
4-4 Trevenant XY
4-4 Donphan PLS
2 Sigilyph LTS

Trainers: 30
4 N
4 Juniper
2 Colress
2 Lysandre
1 Ghetsis
4 Evosoda
4 Ultra Ball
3 Float Stone
3 Silver Bangle
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Professor’s Letter

Energy: 12
4 Strong Energy
2 Fightning Energy
2 Psychic Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

I don’t think you need all that Psychic/DCE. Donphan will just be using Spinning Turn almost every turn, and Sigilyph is just there to wall.

Muscle Band/Bangle split seems sensible as you won’t always be facing EX Pokemon.

Fighting Stadium seems a natural for this deck too. It can boost damage from Wreck in a pinch.

1 Like

Another point I’d like to bring up is the lack of draw supporters. Since a deck like this needs to set up all of its Pokemon as early as possible, having 10 draw supporters (I don’t include Ghetsis because it hardly helps sets up and disrupts the opponent more than help yourself - I think you have put it into the deck just so you can score a large draw off of it when your opponents hand accumulates, which isn’t a bad reason but I think it would be unnecessary to draw lots and put dead cards back into the opponent’s deck when you should be in a comfortable position anyway).

So I think you should try out:

-1 Psychic Energy - attacking with Sigi/Trevenant isn’t what you should be attempting but I feel you may still want the option
-2 DCE - This will either help power up Donphan for wreck or it will be paired with Sigi/Trevenant
-1 Ghetsis - refer to the most text I have ever put between 2 brackets.
-1 Silver bangle - refer to B_M’s post
-1 Evosoda - it may seem counter intuitive however a supporter would fill the role better as it has the chance of getting a basic.
and
+1 Float Stone - retreating is a main part of your strategy, it’s too important
+2 Fighting Stadium - B_M
+1 Muscle Band - B_M
+2 Supporter (Skyla/Colress/Shauna)

Other things: Pokemon Fan Club, Froslass PLB, more supporters

What about a thin line (1-1-1 or 1-0-1) of Dusknoir BDC. It worked in TrevGor (atleast with me)

Dusknoir BCR was good in Accelgor decks because you could keep moving damage off the Paralysed active and maintain the lock. Doesn’t apply to this deck.

It wouldn’t be bad in here, but I doubt if it would be worth the space.

1 Like

Pokemon: 18
3/3 Trevenant
3/3 Clawitzer
1/1/1 Dusknoir
3 Mew EX

Trainers: 32
4 Professor Juniper
4 Shauna
3 Skyla
2 Colress
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Lysandre

4 Roller Skates
4 Ultra Ball
3 Float Stone
2 Switch
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Sacred Ash

Energy: 10
6 water
4 Double Colorless

Just wanted to see if this would be a decent deck to start preparing to make? I’m taking all opinions here. Thanks.

2 Likes

The problem with decks like these is that people now have access to lysandre and because accelgor rotated the “lock” isn’t as strong as it used to be so people can lysandre out something that isnt trevenant and they aren’t locked.
In my opinion if you want to play a strafe deck then use donphan PLS with all the fighting support it does more damage and is easier to set up.
So take out water energy for Fighting and strong energy swap the clawitzer line for donphan and add in Korrina and the new fighting stadium.

I don’t think it’s the best deck (or close to the top) but the Donphan varient it the strongest I’ve seen…

1 Like

You could use pokemon like hitmontop(FF), meinshao(FF), and phione (no idea what set). You could stack strong energy and other cards to do more damage, and is a counter to dark type poekmon (sans Yveltal)

I see this is all good stuff to take in. Keep the ideas rolling if you have anything else to say.

I would replace the Shauna’s with N’s. And, replace one N/Shaunna with another pokemon fan club. Also, I would i do -1 Scates and +1 Physic Energy. And -1 Scates and +1 startling megaphone. I might replace another Scates with another sacred ash. Just in case. Evosodas will be really good too. I used to use TrevGor, so those are things that worked for me with that. Of course, it’s a deferent main attacker, but… It’s still trevenant

What about this list?

4-4 Trevenant
3-3 Donphan
1-0-1 Dusknoir
1 Mr. Mime
1 Keldeo EX

4 Juniper
3 Korrina
3 N
2 Colress
1 Pokemon Fan Club

4 Float Stone
2 Muscle Band
1 Silver Bangle
3 Ultra Ball
2 Escape Rope
1 Town Map
1 Computer Search
3 Evosoda
1 Bike
1 Silver Mirror
1 Fighting Stadium

4 Strong Energy
4 Fighting Energy
1 Psycic energy
1 DCE

Overall this list looks pretty consistent, but here are some changes I’d reccomend:

-1 Bike: One bicycle won’t do much for you at all, it’s only good when you run multiple copies so you can have it in hand somewhat consistently

• 1 Dusknoir and 1 Duskull: First of all, you’re not running rare candy so it’s impossible to get Duknoir in play… And anyways it doesn’t really do much for a deck that can 2HKO most popular Pokemon without a lot of leftover damage.
    +1 Fighting Stadium: It can’t be searched with Korrina, you should run one more copy so you can draw into it more.
    +1 Professor’s Letter: That one psychic energy is not going to be very helpful when you can’t search it out, and another way to access fighting energy never hurt anyone
    +1 Lucario EX/Landorus EX: You already run cards to support it, and it can help put early pressure on your opponent if you start with it while you set up multiple Donphans and Trevenants

That’s just my take on your list, take it or leave it.

Oh. Wow. That was stupid on my part. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I like your other ideas, and will use them. The only problem is that I don’t have any of those 2 EX’s, and unless someone would offer a really good trade at my league play, (which probably won’t happen), then I wouldn’t want to drop the money

I understand that those can be a bit hard to acquire when you’re on a budget so maybe try a Landorus FFI for energy acceleration along with pressure?

1 Like

Updated list after some testing:

Pokemon: 17
4-3 Trevenant XY
4-4 Donphan PLS
2 Sigilyph LTS

Trainers: 34
4 N
4 Juniper
4 Shauna
2 Colress
1 Lysandre

4 Float Stone
3 Evosoda
3 Ultra Ball
2 Fighting Stadium
2 Muscle Band
1 Silver Bangle
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Scramble Switch
1 Professor’s Letter
1 Sacred Ash

Energy: 9
4 Strong Energy
5 Fightning Energy

Still want to test Korrina over Shauna and maybe try to fit in 1-2 Team Flare Grunt for Seismitoad

I would:
-1 sigilyph

+1 Mr. Mime (to protect benched trevs/donphans/sygalyph)

Consider these cards:

• Latias EX to wall Pokemon with abilities, together with Sigilyph to wall EX Pokemon
  • Pyroar to wall basics

That would be like a Palkia wall deck. This deck is centered around trevenant, for item lock, and para lock with Accelgor

You’re right, it’s a different idea.

On the topic of item lock, it’s important to decide whether or not the player will be attacking with Trevenant. The lists posted are excluding it or including it half-heartedly.

Energies should be included for attacking with Trevenant if wanted, but otherwise some Max Potion can be run to keep it alive. I think an important part of this deck’s development will be coming to a unanimous decision on whether or not using Trevenant as an attacker is practical.

I don’t know about Max Potion, Trevenant has 110 HP. More often than not your opponent will be able to take the OHKO.