"Diamonds in the Rough" – Exploring Ultra Prism and First Looks at Magnezone and Empoleon

This is the companion discussion topic for this article.

Christopher–

Thanks for your thoughts, nice to hear your take on things.

I agree with the majority of points here (particularly in regards to Leafeon; I keep wondering about grabbing a bunch of Megas but Decidueye seems underwhelming), but I wanted to bring up one card that I think is overlooked in your breakdown: Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX. The return of a splashable Rush In effect is bound to have some sort of impact somewhere. In particular, I think Silvally benefits greatly as pairing Invasion with Gyro Unit gives the archetype very high mobility, even after we presumably lose Float Stone to rotation. Furthermore, with the reveal of the Malamar we’re getting in SM6 in May, the synergy there is immediately evident as it would play a similar role to Keldeo’s in Eelektrik and Bronzong decks from recent formats, while also being a valid attacker to power up with Malamar in the first place.

And I want to give a quick shoutout to the new Alolan Dugtrio as well. Initially I thought it would just be a joke or League deck, but it turns out there are quite a few ways now available to overload one’s hand with Metal Energy. It’s proving quite easy to stream moles and hit high numbers, and it’s blitzed through every single Gardevoir I’ve encountered with it online with gusto as well as shown it’s capable of taking down pretty much anything in one hit. I don’t think it’s going to be tier 1 or anything like that, but it’s a ton of fun to pilot and it’s definitely proven to me that it’s something to keep in mind moving forward.

Otherwise I agree that this seemed like a pretty comprehensive overview and was an enjoyable read. Good luck in Sydney.

Hey Chris. Best of luck Down Under. Love the idea of incorporating Leafeon in Mega Builds. That’s the kind of thing I would try.!

Very glad I’m not the only one looking at empoleon/zoro, It’s the best version of penguins at the moment imo. Definitely not a tier 1 deck because it has quite a few bad matchups, but there’s hope for it.

Here’s what I’ve been playing with:

Pokémon - 18

• 2 Zorua PR-SM SM83
  • 2 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
  • 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
  • 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
  • 4 Piplup UPR 32
  • 2 Prinplup UPR 33
  • 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 32

• 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
  • 3 Aqua Patch GRI 119
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
  • 2 Brigette BKT 134
  • 3 Cynthia UPR 119
  • 4 Guzma BUS 115
  • 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
  • 3 N FCO 105
  • 3 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 2 Field Blower GRI 125
  • 2 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 10

• 2 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
  • 6 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
  • 2 Splash Energy BKP 113

I agree—once we get more stuff, Dawn Wings Necrozma will be useful. For the moment, though, I don’t think it’s there. Silvally is a good partner for it though, and that could definitely be useful even sooner.

Dugtrio certainly should run through Gardevoir! Our initial testing of it suggested it struggles a lot with Buzzwole, but it’s something to consider for sure.