Bronzong PHF Variants // XY-on 2016

Yveltal+DCE

Also, it is, for a 1 prize attacker, but I concede that Stunfisk is superior in that regard.

Whether it’s an EX or not, 140 isn’t a hard number to hit at all. And attacking a DCE to something that’s just gonna get OHKO’d is far inferior to having something with a lightning and a metal knocked out out, which can be reattached with ease, through Smeargle/Bronzong

Here’s my M Mewtwo/Bronzong list that I’ve been testing:
17 Pokemon
3 Mewtwo EX (Photon Wave)
3 M Mewtwo EX (Psychic Infinity)
1 Heatran
1 Aegislash EX
3 Bronzor BKT 95
3 Bronzong PHF 61
2 Shaymin EX
1 Hoopa EX

32 Trainers
1 Super Rod
4 Ultra Ball
2 Battle Compressor
4 VS Seeker
1 Level Ball
2 Float Stone
3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Professor Birch’s Observations
2 Lysandre
2 Parallel City
3 Trainers’ Mail
1 AZ
1 Switch

11 Energy
7 Metal Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

And how has it been doing?

It’s been doing okay against the expanded version of Darkrai/Yveltal. I need to get a couple cards for the online version.

I made top 8 at the city championship today. I changed a couple cards and I’ll be playing in another one tomorrow.

I just got back into Pokemon been out for a year now and trying to figure out what I need to do to make my steel deck back up and running a few friends helped me last weekend but I feel it still needs something ill post the deck list master today after I get out of work.

Pokemon: 14
4-4 Bronzong
1-1 Mega Aggron EX
2 Aegislash
2 Dialga

Trainers: 34
1 Switch
2 Super Rod
2 Battle Compressor
2 Trainer’s Mail
2 Ultra Ball
2 Heavy Ball
2 Float Stone
2 Xerosic
2 Lysandre
3 Muscle Band
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Steel Shelter
4 VS Seeker
4 Giovanni’s Scheme

Energy 12
2 DCE
10 Steel energy

So what do you think?

I think you need to drop mega Aggron, play some Shaymin, and up most of your two-ofs along with dropping some cards.

-4 Giovanni’s scheme
-3 steel shelter
-1 xerosic
-1 super rod

• aggron line

+2 ultra ball
+2 trainers mail
+2 shaymin
+1 heatran
+1 birch observations/ N if you are playing with fates collide
+1 seismetoad (night march)
+2 parallel city

I used to be running a pretty damn good consistent metal list before this season rotation. With the return of Float Stone, then our new “Keldeo-ex” (zoroark BKT) and then N I was like eurm well why not play metal again. Here is my current list I have been testing over on PTCGO and so far it’s running pretty well. Can still make improvement for sure so let me know what you guys think.

Pokemon (17)

4 Bronzor PHF
3 Bronzong PHF
2 Aegislash-EX PHF
1 Dialga-EX PHF
1 Seismitoad-EX FFI
2 Heatran PHF
1 Zorua BKT
1 Zoroark BKT
1 Shaymin-EX ROS
1 Jirachi XY67

Trainers (32)

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Xerosic
1 AZ
4 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
2 Battle Compressor
2 Switch
2 Float Stone
3 Muscle Band
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Super Rod
1 Max Potion
2 Steel Shelter

Energy (11)

4 Double Colorless Energy
7 Metal Energy

So to answer some question and explain some of my choices of cards:

1 Seismitoad-EX FFI

I mean this one is pretty self-explanatory for a metal list. It’s good enough to slow your opponent down in the early game. But not good enough, in my opinion, to justify including more than one copy. Just a good general tech against a lot of what would be bad matchups. (Vespiquen, NM, even help with Greninja BREAK)

1 Zorua BKT - 1 Zoroark BKT

Ok, so here I can already hear you guys say. You should run 2-2. While I did fear it would be a gamble only to run one line of this new “Keldeo-EX” my thought was back then if your Keldeo was prized you would rely on cards like switch and AZ to make up for the lack of Rush In/Retreat. While now I double the odds of not having the Stand In/Retreat combo. It made more space for some tech cards that have been useful so far. But I am thinking of including a second line, need the community’s opinion on that one.

1 Jirachi XY67

Cobalion-EX 2.0 … One energy discard a special energy, then takes no damage and win the price trade. I mean it would be stupid not to run one copy of this bad boy.

2 Heatran PHF

I include my choice of running only one Dialga-EX in the decision of running 2 Heatran PHF. This card is a personal favorite of mine. I mean it won me so many games in the previous format. And with the recent rise of Non-EX based deck, I feel like this is a better inclusion than 2 Dialga. Because in the end, you will win the price trade with Heatran.

1 Xerosic

I mean this one is certainly up for debate. With Jirachi XY67, you might not need it, but sometimes it is nice to have the option of busting that DCE sitting on that benched Joltik.

3 Muscle Band

At first, I was running the Fighting Fury Belt. The reason I changed it back to the Muscle Band is that even tho you do get more HP. I needed that 170 one hit from my Dialga-EX to deal with the Greninja BREAK. the 170 one hit is a little bit less important in the EX’s matchup as you can always Chrono Wind then one hit the next turn.

2 Battle Compressor

With my current energy count and the lack of having a lot of 1 of supporter, I think two is enough. If one gets prized, it’s no big deal. Just discard those metal energy with the ultra balls.

1 Max Potion

The curve ball. I mean you have ways to power up your Pokemon in one turn with minimal drawback. I wouldn’t run more than one but that 1 Max Potion as been doing some work so far.

1 Shaymin-EX ROS

Altho bench space is OK, 2 shaymin-EX is too much for me. It becomes a liability quickly and with running only one AZ and 3 VS seeker, having two on the bench will almost end up in a last turn lysandre one of the shaymins and you will loose. One is good enough for that speed start.

Now for the things that are on the deck but could be changed for sure.

2 Steel Shelter

I mean right now, to be honest, I only really use these as a counter stadium. Thought about using Skyfield. But at the same time, bench space is not an issue. Then Parallel City could be nice. But then again it is not really all that good for this deck either. Although I am open to the argument that shrinking the opponent bench to 3 might be a viable option. Therefore, the option of having a free sleep cure, confusion, or even poison (bleh, no more lazer+bank but you do have some odd Gengar decks here and there.) made me choose this stadium.

Possible inclusions

1 Hex Maniac

I mean the only time I would see the use for a Hex Maniac would be for Greninja-BREAK and Trevenant based decks. (ok vespiquen/vileplume too. but that deck as fallen off in popularity lately)

But then the reason I am currently not running any is that pretty much screws your Aegislash-EX, Bronzong, and Zoroark for the following turn. I feel like what it can achieve isn’t worth the setback you get from using it. Open for debate.

Hope this helps some people out and give you guys some ideas. Let me know your thoughts on the list and how it could be improved! Also, I feel like running 4 DCE + 7 Metal Energy is just the right count. Again this is more of a personal choice I would say. To me, the deck runs fine on that count of energy.

My implementation of Bronzong / Genesect-EX. Critiques are appreciated.

Is the new Bronzong beneficial, superfluous, or uncertain pending the ruling on the Shadow Stitching v. Metal Fortress case?