Blastoise BCR, Keldeo-EX, Archie's Ace in the Hole Variants // BLW-on 2016

First of all, I would like to make a shout-out to WorldRenownedHeretic a.k.a. Steve Guthrie who formulated this deck around the time of our 2014-2015 State Championships. Many others have piloted this deck to success at various other events including our very own @OshaWaterBottle at this year’s Arizona Regionals in 2nd place with an Archie’s Blastoise deck. As you all know this deck did win worlds piloted by Jacob Van Wagner and has been seeing play ever since, so why not give it a try? Here is a link to Heretic’s Build:

Pokemon: 15
3 Keldeo EX
2 Blastoise
2 Jirachi EX
2 Shaymin EX
2 Exeggcute
1 Wailord EX
2 Articuno
1 Victini

Supporters: 6
2 Professor Juniper
2 Archie’s Ace in the Hole
1 Lysandre
1 N

Items/Stadiums: 28
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Battle Compressor
4 Trainer’s Mail
4 Acro Bike
4 Superior Energy Retrieval
1 Rough Seas
1 Computer Search
1 Muscle Band
1 Float Stone

Energy: 11
11 Water Energy

So, there is the list, basic strategy as is, Use archie on Blastoise turn 1 to show dominance over board (and before toad lock) and to use keldeo as the attacker hitting for 170+ every KO. Wailord is for decks like Night March, and Toad. Articuno is for Night March, Vespiquen and hitting already damaged EX pokemon. Victini is there for the Victory Star Ablility.

With Victini you can use Articuno on higher HP non ex pokemon. (Vespiquen, Joltik, Pumkaboo, and Flareon, etc)

Please post any advice.

2 Likes

This looks strangely like @oshawaterbottle"s list…
The Victini is only in there for flipping heads with Articuno, which is only in there to deal with Night March and Vespiquen. Its optional.

1 Like

It is his list, the part about having the Victini there was @OshaWaterBottle’s idea along with @KPiplup. They came up with it, (or at least that is what i heard from his article.) This is a basic list, at least cutting the mewtwo for a victini, i never had 2 rough seas in my list and ALWAYS had 2 articuno, (because of HIGH vespiquen meta in Texas).

I am starting to see lists surfacing that play Unown and Kyogre EX from Dark Explorers. I mean i think it could be good, maybe.

Kyogre could work… But its an ex that needs three energy to only work against pretty much only night march.

Yah, or sniping off stuff like little itty bitty 50 HP Oddish T1. it is a good tech, we’ll just have to wait and see if it “works”

I guess it’s a good tech, but I’d rather just play Articuno and Wailord which can be played in other matchups.

1 Like

2 Likes

This might be the best one:

Shaymin is more played.

I’m in the process of moving all the regionals lists to TCG ONE. So far, 3/4s of the decks have played at least 1 Jirachi, every Blastoise variant played 2. Shaymin may be more played, but Jirachi is in a lot of stuff too.

2 Likes

yah, not to mention it OHKO’s Spritzee, but who plays that? I think it is a smart decision. I will definitely test with it.

Shaymin is more played, but Kyogre is more relevant to Jirachi, as Jirachi is two shotted, and Shaymin is three shotted.

Kyogre is op, dont under estimate it, against bees its a game changer

How does my list seem? it tends to do well against everything but Sableye/Garb, which is really heavy in my meta.
3 Keldeo EX
2 Shaymn EX
2 Blastoise
1 Wailord
2 Exeggcute
1 Articuno
2 Jirachi EX

10 Water Energy

1 Lysandre
1 N
2 Prof. Juniper
2 Archies
2 Skyfield
1 Muscle Band
1 Prof. Letter
4 Acro Bike
1 Comp. Search
2 Float stone (2 for helping against Sableye Garb)
4 Trainers Mail
4 Battle Comp.
4 VS Seekr
4 Ultra Ball
4 Superior Energy retrieval
I really just want it to be able to beat sableye garb, it decimated me 3 times at cities.

If you want to beat Sableye/Garbodor, you need to run Tool Scrapper. I’d drop the Wailord for a 2nd Articuno(gives you a winnable Vespiquen matchup), and also swap Rough Seas in for the 2 Skyfield (honestly, why are you running Skyfield?) To make yourself less prone to Ghetsis, swap 3 Unown in for 3 Acro Bikes (or you could keep them as Acro Bikes if you want), and a Scrapper in for the 4th Acro Bike, and then put in Fisherman instead of Letter. Then, I might drop 1 Float Stone for a 2nd Scrapper. Sableye isn’t what should be worrying you, it’s the Garbodor that lets them win in the first place. 2 Tool Scrapper should help, but if that doesn’t work, then not really anything else will without ruining consistency.

A Sableye/Garb player who knows how to play the matchup will do everything they can to get Garbodor out, 2 if possible. Then, they will try to Lysandre stuff that can’t retreat (which is part of the reason I would drop Wailord), and from then on it’s basically just solitaire on their end. You would need to time your Tool Scrappers in tandem with a big Keldeo, and a Lysandre to kill the Garbodor. Then, when you kill all their Garbodors, just cherry pick off Shaymins, or Sableyes/Bunnelbys till you take all 6 prizes. However, it likely wouldn’t play out exactly like that, so be careful.

As for the list, it’s okay, but people now know how to beat Archie Stoise. A turn 1 Ghetsis from your opponent, or a well timed Hex Maniac can easily trouble for you.

Hope this helped!

2 Likes

If you can find room, 3-4 Reserved Ticket would be a great inclusion. I’ve tested it extensively; it works miracles with Unown.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t like having to rely on a coin flip. Too risky if you ask me.

1 Like

Thank you! At first I thought I just needed to load a ton more items in to make sure i got out turn one archies and could just overwhelm them, but I’m now thinking I should be doing the exact opposite. I like the idea of unown and I will definitely add 2 tool scrapper. Skyfield I definitely have found to be better than rough seas, I first tried it when I would sometimes have to bench more than five pokemon to get Archies out, and also it helps me just bench a ton more support pokemon. I definitely like your suggestions and will try them out at medford cities.

Why isn’t anyone running Kyogre Ex DEX? This card is why wins u the vespiquen, night march, an maybe increases your win stats against sableye garb. U can 2 shot garbodors and OHKO active sableyes as long as you have muscle band. I LOVE unown. It works wonders. I also dislike wailord. I can post a list in fifteen mins.

1 Like